Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Problems with Expat Shield

Problems with Expat Shield

Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:49 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems with Expat Shield

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We tried to download Time Team from Channel 4 for about 45 minutes last night. We could log into the site with no problems at all. But when it came to "opening" the actual programme it said we were unable to open it at this time. I don't think it was expatshield itself though as we were able to download and then watch Topgear immediately afterwards.

Very frustrating as we quite like some of the stuff on Channel 4 and its associated stations. Has anyone had more luck? Is there a clever way to make it work?
UKTV NOVA!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:25 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
UKTV NOVA!
Thanks - I'll look into it.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferrino
I gave this a go last night with my UK VPN service and was impressed by the quality of the streams (despite the big FilmOn logo in the top-right of the screen) and the DVR feature. I did not have a subscription though - what does the $15 subscription get you? I was viewing the usual Freeview channels - BBC, ITV, C4, Dave etc...
I've used Unblock-Us.com for the last few months, with no problems at all, no ads, great loading speed, works on iphone/ipad, ps3. Gives me access to US Netflix/BBC/4oD/last.fm/Hulu and I still keep access to CBC/CTV online etc

$4.99USD/mo - has a free 7 day trial
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up hidemyass.com/vpn

I can recommend hidemyass.com/vpn, been using it a while now for iPlayer, 4oD, US Netflix etc with no problems. It's about $11/month for worldwide IPs. It also stops Rogers throttling your torrents.

Digressing slightly, I recently called Rogers (no 3rd parties in my area) to cancel my TV/Phone package. I'm streaming all my TV now and a magicjack+ has replaced our home phone. While chatting to the assistant I asked about larger data allowances for my internet (I was on Extreme Plus 150GB/month @ $69.99). I explained that speed wasn't important and I wanted more data. She offered me a bastardised Express package (not on their website) which gives 300GB/month for $66.99 - needless to say I took it. All my TV streaming still works fine (even BBC HD), so the drop in speed isn't an issue for those of you interested in going down the same route.

Last edited by joepublic; Mar 1st 2012 at 2:14 pm. Reason: Added hyperlink.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hidemyass.com/vpn

Originally Posted by joepublic
I can recommend hidemyass.com/vpn, been using it a while now for iPlayer, 4oD, US Netflix etc with no problems. It's about $11/month for worldwide IPs. It also stops Rogers throttling your torrents.

Digressing slightly, I recently called Rogers (no 3rd parties in my area) to cancel my TV/Phone package. I'm streaming all my TV now and a magicjack has replaced our home phone. While chatting to the assistant I asked about larger data allowances for my internet (I was on Extreme Plus 150GB/month @ $69.99). I explained that speed wasn't important and I wanted more data. She offered me a bastardised Express package (not on their website) which gives 300GB/month for $66.99 - needless to say I took it. All my TV streaming still works fine (even BBC HD), so the drop in speed isn't an issue for those of you interested in going down the same route.
That is interesting to note thanks! I was actually contemplating reducing my package, but was concerned the drop in speed would cripple my streaming. Although since I've had netflix on the ps3 my bandwidth usage has gone up a tonne!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road
Default Netflix question

Question for you guys who have access to the US version of Netflix: Are you doing this through a Canadian Netflix account? From what I understand, if I signed in to a Canadian account but using an IP from the US, I would automatically be looking at US content.

To have a US Netflix account, you'd need a US credit card, right?

I did a free trial of Netflix, but the Canadian content was disappointing to say the least so I cancelled. I'd happily pay for the US content though

I've been using Stealthy (a Firefox add-on) to watch iPlayer. It's free, simple to use, has no ads and you don't need to sign up or create an account. However it only works 90% of the time and doesn't seem to work for the other UK catchup services which is a shame.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic

Digressing slightly, I recently called Rogers (no 3rd parties in my area) to cancel my TV/Phone package. I'm streaming all my TV now and a magicjack+ has replaced our home phone. While chatting to the assistant I asked about larger data allowances for my internet (I was on Extreme Plus 150GB/month @ $69.99). I explained that speed wasn't important and I wanted more data. She offered me a bastardised Express package (not on their website) which gives 300GB/month for $66.99 - needless to say I took it. All my TV streaming still works fine (even BBC HD), so the drop in speed isn't an issue for those of you interested in going down the same route.
Logs this....for when I make it home.....
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Logs this....for when I make it home.....
Finger.......pulse
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Netflix question

Originally Posted by JimboV6
Question for you guys who have access to the US version of Netflix: Are you doing this through a Canadian Netflix account? From what I understand, if I signed in to a Canadian account but using an IP from the US, I would automatically be looking at US content.

To have a US Netflix account, you'd need a US credit card, right?

I did a free trial of Netflix, but the Canadian content was disappointing to say the least so I cancelled. I'd happily pay for the US content though

I've been using Stealthy (a Firefox add-on) to watch iPlayer. It's free, simple to use, has no ads and you don't need to sign up or create an account. However it only works 90% of the time and doesn't seem to work for the other UK catchup services which is a shame.
No you can use a Canadian credit card. Not sure where I read it but it's something to do with Netflix giving allowance to Canadians who travel to the US access to the US version.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:34 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferrino
I gave this a go last night with my UK VPN service and was impressed by the quality of the streams (despite the big FilmOn logo in the top-right of the screen) and the DVR feature. I did not have a subscription though - what does the $15 subscription get you? I was viewing the usual Freeview channels - BBC, ITV, C4, Dave etc...
$15 used to get you a subscription to watch the UK channels. I noticed on the weekend that the UK channels were now free. I then cancelled my subscription. I'm wondering if they are only free for a while?