NHS PENSION.

Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS PENSION.

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Hi.
Your NHS pension is not static, it does grow but not at the same rate as if you were making contributions. Mine has grown by a 25% since I`ve been in oz. Am currently in the process of bringing over into a QROPS recognized super fund. (Not using a company as they charge approx 3% of the transfer value to complete this relatively simple excercise. Big bonus is that you do not on retirement have to purchase an anunity like you do in the UK. You can access the entire amount (lump sum) tax free!!! Think of the compounding growth when you move sterling amount into $AUD fund!!!! Cheers Mandy.
NHS pensions do not involve compulsory annuity purchase as far as I know. It's based on years of service and salary.

Moving pension to Australia may not seem such a good idea for those who end up returning to the U.K. or moving on to another country.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
NHS pensions do not involve compulsory annuity purchase as far as I know. It's based on years of service and salary.

Moving pension to Australia may not seem such a good idea for those who end up returning to the U.K. or moving on to another country.
Couldn`t resist another "positive" about bringing Pensions over to Oz, given the fact that you would be able to access the entire amount....Should you pop your clogs... your estate gets the whole amount..........Not reduced widower/widow pensions deemed as appropriate by the fund providers.... or swallowed back into the never ending void of the state should you both snuff it...:curse: Oh practicalities.... don`t you just love them...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn`t resist another "positive" about bringing Pensions over to Oz, given the fact that you would be able to access the entire amount....Should you pop your clogs... your estate gets the whole amount..........Not reduced widower/widow pensions deemed as appropriate by the fund providers.... or swallowed back into the never ending void of the state should you both snuff it...
This may be misleading advice when applied to employer funded schemes.

Many people on forums like this have an almost ideological passion for either transferring or not. Whereas in fact, there are positives and negatives in all cases.

I would be cautious before transferring an NHS pension. Just be conscious of what you are giving up and the fact that you can't undo the transfer later on if you decide to return.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
This may be misleading advice when applied to employer funded schemes.

Many people on forums like this have an almost ideological passion for either transferring or not. Whereas in fact, there are positives and negatives in all cases.

I would be cautious before transferring an NHS pension. Just be conscious of what you are giving up and the fact that you can't undo the transfer later on if you decide to return.

the very reason i am leaving mine in the uk for the time being, i will need to be 100%sure we're staying and i dont think that will happen until a couple of years down the line
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Bundaberg the land of Rum from south wales the land of song!
bundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nicebundybell is just really nice

Hi.
Your NHS pension is not static, it does grow but not at the same rate as if you were making contributions. Mine has grown by a 25% since I`ve been in oz. Am currently in the process of bringing over into a QROPS recognized super fund. (Not using a company as they charge approx 3% of the transfer value to complete this relatively simple excercise. Big bonus is that you do not on retirement have to purchase an anunity like you do in the UK. You can access the entire amount (lump sum) tax free!!! Think of the compounding growth when you move sterling amount into $AUD fund!!!! Cheers Mandy.
Dont you have to move your pension within 6 months if not you get taxed on it.Thats what ive been told anyway
Teryna
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bundybell
Dont you have to move your pension within 6 months if not you get taxed on it.Thats what ive been told anyway
Teryna
You do not have to move in 6 months, the tax you pay after the 6 months is tax only on the growth since you left so if its 12 months later it is only on the growth during the 12 months which will be hardly anything I guess.

Please do a search for pensions on this site, you will find many with good advice but remember everyone is different, you have to make your own mind up.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:50 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Hi, I am emigrating to Canada and enquired regarding my NHS pension, unfortunately if you leave the country you cannot continue paying into the pension if you no longer work for the NHS, so the pension fund is frozen until retirement age 55 or 60, it will still incur bonuses increasing its current value. Hope this helps