Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

boltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really nice
Default Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Our 17-year old daughter has applied to several University of California campuses and we are sat here with the dreaded FAFSA form in front of us. We have tried (in vain) to get her a SSN - we were turned down on the basis that she is not eligible to work inthe USA. It seems to us that every possible source of financial aid to help with college fees is shut off to her for the lack of a SSN. My husband's company is sponsoring his Green Card (on an L1 at present) and we have lived in the state for 19 months now but think it will be some time before the Green Card is granted. My question is, is there any ex-pat out there who successfully got some financial aid through the FAFSA (or college) without a SSN? Did anyone plead hard enough at the Social Security Office to get a SSN Your thoughts would be welcome!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Ain't eligible for a SSN for now, simple as that....but if you've got the greencard app in, once it's reached a certain stage and your able to apply for a EAD, then you'll be able to get her a SSN.

Without the actual greencard though you won't be eligible for most federal student loans.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

boltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Ain't eligible for a SSN for now, simple as that....but if you've got the greencard app in, once it's reached a certain stage and your able to apply for a EAD, then you'll be able to get her a SSN.

Without the actual greencard though you won't be eligible for most federal student loans.
Thanks - it seems discriminatory to me though.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boltonja1
It is.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Our 17-year old daughter has applied to several University of California campuses and we are sat here with the dreaded FAFSA form in front of us. We have tried (in vain) to get her a SSN - we were turned down on the basis that she is not eligible to work inthe USA. It seems to us that every possible source of financial aid to help with college fees is shut off to her for the lack of a SSN. My husband's company is sponsoring his Green Card (on an L1 at present) and we have lived in the state for 19 months now but think it will be some time before the Green Card is granted. My question is, is there any ex-pat out there who successfully got some financial aid through the FAFSA (or college) without a SSN? Did anyone plead hard enough at the Social Security Office to get a SSN Your thoughts would be welcome!
Even if your daughter had a SSN#, are you sure she would get any free money or cheap loans? You, the parents need to have very little in savings or stocks & be low income or unemployed.
Then of course, lots of parents, would say we have been paying taxes for 18 years & we can't get money for our children. Education & Medical, not easy in the USA.

Good luck trying.

Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Maybe hubbies employers, can offer some scholarship money?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Not to those who are USCs or PRs. It's a Federal program... why should non-USCs or non-PRs be able to take advantage of it?

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, a person must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident to qualify for Federal Financial Aid. I don't find this discriminatory at all. The US gov't needs to protect itself and not give aid to just anyone here on a visa. Since there's no guarantee a visa holder will remain in the US, much less stay here the length of time it will take to repay loans, I understand why they don't want to extend loans to these individuals. (I know that sometimes USCs don't pay back loans and PRs could always leave too, but there is less chance of that happening than a visa-holder leaving the US)
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As far as I'm aware, a person must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident to qualify for Federal Financial Aid. I don't find this discriminatory at all. The US gov't needs to protect itself and not give aid to just anyone here on a visa. Since there's no guarantee a visa holder will remain in the US, much less stay here the length of time it will take to repay loans, I understand why they don't want to extend loans to these individuals. (I know that sometimes USCs don't pay back loans and PRs could always leave too, but there is less chance of that happening than a visa-holder leaving the US)
Fair point, but the unis here go on about wanting to open doors to students with a diverse background, about it being a way of improving the dynamics etc. etc. and about not discriminating on the basis of nationality and then shut doors to aid. There, I've said my piece. Guess, we're too used to the open access UK system!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As far as I'm aware, a person must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident to qualify for Federal Financial Aid. I don't find this discriminatory at all.
No, it is discriminatory - even American English has not yet moved so far that "discriminatory" has completely lost its original meaning of "making distinctions" - which is what we are talking about here - distinctions made based on what most people think are reasonable and objective criteria.

So, yes, it is discriminatory, but "discriminatory" is not always synonymous with "biased" or "prejudiced" ...
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess, we're too used to the open access UK system!
Actually UK universities charge pretty hefty fees (although admittedly not as much as US universities) to foreign students.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
No, it is discriminatory - even American English has not yet moved so far that "discriminatory" has completely lost its original meaning of "making distinctions" - which is what we are talking about here - distinctions made based on what most people think are reasonable and objective criteria.

So, yes, it is discriminatory, but "discriminatory" is not always synonymous with "biased" or "prejudiced" ...
No need to change the word -- it is discrimination. In the OP's case, there is nothing bad about it.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought California had non discrimentory funding. I seem to remember you do not not need to be in status in CA.

The UK has bigger issues, seems like quite a scam has been going on.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No need to change the word -- it is discrimination. In the OP's case, there is nothing bad about it.
Indeed, and in the OP's case, her daughter will presumably be eligible for financial aid once they have green cards. Seems fair enough to me. Also (I think) the daughter will qualify for in-state tuition rates based on the time of their residence and the fact that they're here on an L1/2. I would check that really carefully though.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, but the unis here go on about wanting to open doors to students with a diverse background, about it being a way of improving the dynamics etc. etc. and about not discriminating on the basis of nationality and then shut doors to aid.
They don't discriminate on nationality, they discriminate on whether or not you're here "permanently".

There, I've said my piece. Guess, we're too used to the open access UK system!
With it's huge fees for overseas students and requirement of three years of residence before a course starts in order to get resident tuition. Also would be interesting to know what, if any, financial aid is available in the UK to children of parents there on temporary visas.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, but the unis here go on about wanting to open doors to students with a diverse background, about it being a way of improving the dynamics etc. etc. and about not discriminating on the basis of nationality and then shut doors to aid. There, I've said my piece. Guess, we're too used to the open access UK system!
When they say "diverse backgrounds" and "improving dynamics" they really mean an increase in the % of minorities that are part of the schools system currently.

Without seeming rude, can I ask what your ethnic background is? Feel free not to answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.