Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Receiving the actual green card?

Receiving the actual green card?

Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice
Default Receiving the actual green card?

How long does it take before you receive the actual green card? My husband arrived on March 5th and so far he has not received it.

This is really holding us up as he had a great job offer but needs to get a Texas drivers license in order to get a commercial drivers license but Texas will only issue him a temporary license until he gets a green card.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Receiving the actual green card?

Originally Posted by mayb
How long does it take before you receive the actual green card? My husband arrived on March 5th and so far he has not received it.

This is really holding us up as he had a great job offer but needs to get a Texas drivers license in order to get a commercial drivers license but Texas will only issue him a temporary license until he gets a green card.
If your husband arrived on an Immigrant Visa, he already has proof of his US PR status in the form of a visa endorsement in his passport. It should read something like "serves as temporary I-551 for one year". That endorsement is exactly the same as having the plastic green card in hand.

That said, the plastic card comes in the mail anywhere from several weeks to several months after arrival on the Immigrant Visa. That's why they give you a temporary I-551 for one year, to tide you over until the plastic card comes in the mail.

Did your husband try showing DMV the I-551 in his passport? And if they'll give him a temporary one until his plastic green card arrives, then do that. Then when the plastic card arrives, get the permanent DL.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice

The problem is Texas driver's license are valid for 6 years and they say they cannot issue him something that is valid longer than his temporary visa.

He can currently drive on his British license for approximately 60 more days so there is no need for a temporary Texas license until this time. The only need for a regular Texas license at this time is to allow him to obtain his commercial driver’s license.

I’m thinking I should have pushed the issue a little more with the department of public safety because although the temporary is only good for a year it is a guarantee of a 10 year visa, correct?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is Texas driver's license are valid for 6 years and they say they cannot issue him something that is valid longer than his temporary visa.
Yes, that's typical of many DMV's. Just have him get a DL with an expiration date of his temp I-551. Then when his plastic green card comes in, have him go back to DMV to get the 6-year DL.

I’m thinking I should have pushed the issue a little more with the department of public safety because although the temporary is only good for a year it is a guarantee of a 10 year visa, correct?
You mean 10-year green card (not visa)? No, a temporary I-551 is valid for one year, period, and gives no indication of how long the PR status will be valid (either 2 year conditional or 10 year unconditional). But that shouldn't matter to DMV anyway.

DMV should issue him a DL valid for 1 year (well, expiring on the date the temp I-551 expires). Then, when he gets the plastic card, he needs to go back to DMV and get the full-term DL.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, that's typical of many DMV's. Just have him get a DL with an expiration date of his temp I-551. Then when his plastic green card comes in, have him go back to DMV to get the 6-year DL.

You mean 10-year green card (not visa)? No, a temporary I-551 is valid for one year, period, and gives no indication of how long the PR status will be valid (either 2 year conditional or 10 year unconditional). But that shouldn't matter to DMV anyway.

DMV should issue him a DL valid for 1 year (well, expiring on the date the temp I-551 expires). Then, when he gets the plastic card, he needs to go back to DMV and get the full-term DL.

Rene
Yes, sorry I meant the 10-year green card. He can only obtain the Commercial Driver's License that he needs with a full-term DL so getting a temporary DL right now would be a waste of money as you have to pay the full fee for the temporary and the full-term DL.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he will not be able to obtain his CDL until his green card arrives.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Kooky is an unknown quantity at this point

I had that same exact issue with an Indiana BMV. They said they could not process my DL renewal based on the stamp. I calmly explained that yes they could and they made copies of my passport + I gave them my Alien Registration Number and that seemed to have helped to get me through the computer system.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kooky
I had that same exact issue with an Indiana BMV. They said they could not process my DL renewal based on the stamp. I calmly explained that yes they could and they made copies of my passport + I gave them my Alien Registration Number and that seemed to have helped to get me through the computer system.
Interesting because I do seem to remember them saying something about how they have to get some kind of approval through the department of homeland security?

Maybe I will go back tomorrow and see if I get different information.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Kooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting because I do seem to remember them saying something about how they have to get some kind of approval through the department of homeland security?

Maybe I will go back tomorrow and see if I get different information.
Yeah, they kept asking for my i94. I just said that the passport with the visa stamp and the Alien Registration Number is all I have and all I should have for now, and that all the additional immigration documents have been picked up at the airport by the immigration people (the sealed envelope).

They seemed to have warmed up to the idea of pushing me through the system once I had shown them my Green Card payment for some reason (the 165 bucks receipt).
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so getting a temporary DL right now would be a waste of money as you have to pay the full fee for the temporary and the full-term DL.
How much money is involved here? Are you talking hundreds or thousands of dollars? If thousands, then I suggest he waits; if hundreds, then pay twice and let the man get on with his life.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose an Internationalal DL is of use, as that's valid for a year?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

InfoPass?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger222
I don't suppose an Internationalal DL is of use, as that's valid for a year?
International Drivers Licenses don't exist. If you mean the International Drivers Permit, then I doubt it, as they're really not useful for much anyway.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He can currently drive on his British license for approximately 60 more days so there is no need for a temporary Texas license until this time. The only need for a regular Texas license at this time is to allow him to obtain his commercial driver’s license.

Except that he doesn't have a temporary visa. He had an Immigrant Visa, and following admission to the United States as a permanent resident, the endorsed Immigrant Visa serves as a temporary green card (evidence of permanent residence) for 1 year.

The Texas Department of Public Safety website states this is acceptable as evidence of being a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States.

Has he given them his Social Security Number? If they have not been able to match his details with either Social Security, or the Department of Homeland Security, this could be the reason for the problem.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that he doesn't have a temporary visa. He had an Immigrant Visa, and following admission to the United States as a permanent resident, the endorsed Immigrant Visa serves as a temporary green card (evidence of permanent residence) for 1 year.

The Texas Department of Public Safety website states this is acceptable as evidence of being a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States.

Has he given them his Social Security Number? If they have not been able to match his details with either Social Security, or the Department of Homeland Security, this could be the reason for the problem.
I will need to find that on the TDPS website, print it off and bring it in with us.

We did not even get as far as them checking his social security number or the Department of Homeland Security because the worker was very adamant that they could not issue a license that lasted longer than his temporary visa.

We will go back tomorrow much better armed to take them on, I see no reason why they can't issue him a normal, valid license!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:17 pm

...the worker was very adamant that they could not issue a license that lasted longer than his temporary visa.
See, if that's exactly what the worker said, she's just clueless. He doesn't even HAVE a temporary visa.

What he has (and maybe what you need to politely point out to them) is proof of his US PR status, valid for 1 year.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.