EI - dole

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Question EI - dole

I assume if you resign from a job you do not get any benefits ?

If you are laid off does anyone know how much it is ?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:28 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EI - dole

All you need to know

Additionally..........

"The basic benefit rate is 55% of your average insured earnings up to a yearly maximum insurable amount of $42,300. This means you can receive a maximum payment of $447 per week. Your EI payment is a taxable income, meaning federal and provincial or territorial, if it applies, taxes will be deducted.

You could receive a higher benefit rate if you are in a low-income family — an income of less than $25,921 — with children and you receive the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), your are entitled to the Family Supplement."

Hope you aren't asking for yourself

Last edited by Brownstar; Jul 23rd 2009 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram

Sound ominous.

Everything OK?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are right.

If you are laid off the max EI entitlement is less than $2k a month, paid out every two weeks (or bi monthly..I forge now) after a two week initial wait. A few years ago I was getting about $900 a payment

Once you land a job you need to be aware that any EI paid will count towards your taxable income and you will likely end up having to pay tax on it come year end.... that caught me out
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:58 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You are right.

If you are laid off the max EI entitlement is less than $2k a month, paid out every two weeks (or bi monthly..I forge now) after a two week initial wait. A few years ago I was getting about $900 a payment
(
Not so for me unfortunately ... my last day of work was June 17th & I'm still waiting for EI
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Not so for me unfortunately ... my last day of work was June 17th & I'm still waiting for EI
Sorry, I wasnt clear....takes a month or so to PROCESS, but as far as I recall the first two weeks doesnt count for payment anyway or something....I could be wrong though, its been a while (touch wood).
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:14 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Sorry, I wasnt clear....takes a month or so to PROCESS, but as far as I recall the first two weeks doesnt count for payment anyway or something....I could be wrong though, its been a while (touch wood).
That sounds about right actually
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

If you quit a job and you apply for EI then you have to get them a written statement as to why you quit and it has to match with one of their list of very good reasons to quit. I guess they check to see if you had a good reason or not before giving you any money.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

The info given in other replies with regards to the rate and the 28 day processing time I would agree with, as well as the first 2 weeks of unemployment being the "waiting period" (i.e. no benefits for those two weeks).

The other question you asked was about benefits if you quit your job.

It all depends on the reasons why you quit - if you just had enough of the job, then no, you wouldnt normally be eligible for benefits.

However, there are certain conditions that qualify as quitting for "good cause": Harrassment, change of working conditions, discrimination, needing to move to another location etc etc. Its not an exact science, and each case is considered on its merits - so quitting your job doesnt necessarily exclude you from claiming EI - but it may be a bit of a struggle! Just as a additional note - if you claim things like harrassment, or change of conditions etc, Service Canada will call your former employers to verify any issues you claim on the application

Service Canada has some information on this topic on their website:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e..._leaving.shtml
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Are you considering going before you are asked?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

If you were laid off with severance, I believe that will have to be used up before you become eligible for EI.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:34 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

How do they know if you are canned or quit ? Do they contact the employer ?

Last edited by Tangram; Jul 24th 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.

How do they know if you are canned or quit ? Do they contact the employer ?
You have to get a 'Record of Employment' (ROE) from your employer which essentially is your P45 equivalent. I believe (but don't know for sure) that there would be a reason code on the ROE as to why you left.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:12 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

There is a space on the Record of Employment form that your employer gives you when you leave a job. There are several categories that can be put in the space and one of them is "Quit".

I just applied for EI and had to fill out a number of questions as to why I quit as I didn't have one of those "good reasons" that they have on a list (there's an explanation somewhere in the online forms bit if I recall correctly), although I've had a couple of other jobs since and have done more than enough qualifying hours for insurance purposes, so hopefully it will all be ok. Apparently they do check with your employer (you have to state names and stuff on the form when you are filling in your explanation).
Old Jul 24th 2009, 12:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Thanks again.