Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

[QUOTE=phil01;5724785]Ditto Happynz.

I did respond to your email a while back Mark but at the time you seemed to want Canada. Nothing has changed in terms of cost of living from what I told you last time wages are still in the $16 - 18 an hour bracket, house rental prices depends where you are heading check out www.realenz.co nz or trade me for up to date prices...cost of living in general high compared to UK.

Work...most companies want maximum hours, not a lot of nights out but some companies will expect it, dirtier job than the UK you load and unload yourself.

But as Happy said you can only get temporary residence...so consider things carefully before leaping in...it does have implications.

p.s. I am a truck driver over here with PR but got it through my wifes job!

pps. you're welcome to have my job 'cos I'm off back to the UK...need a break from the work culture out here! Good luck[/QU

We too, Family of 6, Hubby HGV1 driver, what with the cost of living and relatvely poor wages compared to the UK, our lifestyle, diminished rapidly, spent 18 months in NZ and very happy to return to the UK
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Hi, We are hopefully coming over soon and OH HGV driver.

We are renting out house in UK and treating the experience as an adventure because of the risk obtaining PR etc..

I have read all the pitfalls and I am half expecting that we will return home after a couple of happy years.............having said that it would be wonderful if it all turns out sweet.

Good Luck with your plans
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

We too, Family of 6, Hubby HGV1 driver, what with the cost of living and relatvely poor wages compared to the UK, our lifestyle, diminished rapidly, spent 18 months in NZ and very happy to return to the UK[/QUOTE]

Good luck for your return to the UK...when do you go Heavenlyscent?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phil01
We too, Family of 6, Hubby HGV1 driver, what with the cost of living and relatvely poor wages compared to the UK, our lifestyle, diminished rapidly, spent 18 months in NZ and very happy to return to the UK

Good luck for your return to the UK...when do you go Heavenlyscent?[/QUOTE]
I think there is alot of negatavity on this site.Phil is very good and helped me when I needed it and I,m here now.I drive trucks get home every night get treated as one of the family,dont get pushed to do more work,get spoken to with respect and its better than any driving job I had in the UK.Yes i do get dirty,yes the log books are a joke,yes i do 60 hours a week and all the rest that comes with truck driving .If you want to be a truck driver then you must expect to do the hours or else you might as well go work for jEWSONS AND EARN £15000 P/A.But when it comes to the weekend we go to the beautifull beaches.rivers,mountains and everything else NZ offers.YOu could of only dream of doing that in the UK.Money is not everything.Its the first time in his life my 9 year old boy is actually enjoying school .He hated it in the UK.I,m surprised at Phils comments because at one stage not so long ago NZ was the best thing since sliced bread. He had his 'own beach' bought and sold aplot of land and then bought another to have this fabulous house built and now all of a sudden they off back to the UK.Anyway good luck Phil on your return journey and hope it all works out for you .Remember anyone still thinking of coming here ,you don't hear from most of the people from the UK that actually love NZ.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am printing your message now to take back to OH. I am so glad to hear some positives about HGV in NZ. Roger expects to do long hours, here he works from 6am-6pm every day and drives through London so even if the hours are slightly longer, he will enjoy his job alot more without the mad rush of a big city.

I totally understand wny Phil01 is going back and wish them all the best of luck, but that said, it is nice to hear from someone who it has worked out for and who is enjoying life in NZ

Nici
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:27 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Nici - have you PM'd or spoken with Marika38? Her Hubby started with Fluidex this week here in the Mount. She may have recovered after Wednesday's 4am finish from our drinkathon by now ...

Originally Posted by kato33
I am printing your message now to take back to OH. I am so glad to hear some positives about HGV in NZ. Roger expects to do long hours, here he works from 6am-6pm every day and drives through London so even if the hours are slightly longer, he will enjoy his job alot more without the mad rush of a big city.

I totally understand wny Phil01 is going back and wish them all the best of luck, but that said, it is nice to hear from someone who it has worked out for and who is enjoying life in NZ

Nici
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Nici - have you PM'd or spoken with Marika38? Her Hubby started with Fluidex this week here in the Mount. She may have recovered after Wednesday's 4am finish from our drinkathon by now ...
Not recently but knew OH was starting work this week.Will do now though and ask how he is getting on.

Just emailed TD and told them we will be available for a meeting in person on the 3rd March.
flights booked for 19th Feb to land on 21st......wooohooo
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:55 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Not recently but knew OH was starting work this week.Will do now though and ask how he is getting on.

Just emailed TD and told them we will be available for a meeting in person on the 3rd March.
YAY!!!!!

Congrats sweetie ... when's Bolly o'clock on the 22nd??? You flying into Auckland and then driving or flying to Rotorua?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
YAY!!!!!

Congrats sweetie ... when's Bolly o'clock on the 22nd??? You flying into Auckland and then driving or flying to Rotorua?
Into Auckland at 1pm and then drive to Rotorua.
Will do the 22nd or 23rd whichever is best for you.

Cannot wait to arrive now.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant! Hope you get your passports back as quickly as I did!

See you next week :-)
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cappuccino
That's brilliant! Hope you get your passports back as quickly as I did!

See you next week :-)
Just contacted the passport agency :curse:

After requesting that they be sent back via my work address, they failed to notice this (bloody wrote it 10in high)
Not only that but the SMS who send them have posted them through the front door over a week ago. No-one is answering the house and what chance do I have of getting them back now. :curse:
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

oh noooooo! Hope you get them back soon. Did the new owners actually move in or is the house empty?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cappuccino
oh noooooo! Hope you get them back soon. Did the new owners actually move in or is the house empty?
They moved in but are never there by all accounts. Plus they were dodgy with everything with the house sale......whats the betting I don't get them.

And the police service just called and said our checks were sent 1st class today so all I am waiting for is the passports to go to NZ house.

F**k, b******s

I am tearing my hair out here.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Originally Posted by angpaul
Good luck for your return to the UK...when do you go Heavenlyscent?
I think there is alot of negatavity on this site.Phil is very good and helped me when I needed it and I,m here now.I drive trucks get home every night get treated as one of the family,dont get pushed to do more work,get spoken to with respect and its better than any driving job I had in the UK.Yes i do get dirty,yes the log books are a joke,yes i do 60 hours a week and all the rest that comes with truck driving .If you want to be a truck driver then you must expect to do the hours or else you might as well go work for jEWSONS AND EARN £15000 P/A.But when it comes to the weekend we go to the beautifull beaches.rivers,mountains and everything else NZ offers.YOu could of only dream of doing that in the UK.Money is not everything.Its the first time in his life my 9 year old boy is actually enjoying school .He hated it in the UK.I,m surprised at Phils comments because at one stage not so long ago NZ was the best thing since sliced bread. He had his 'own beach' bought and sold aplot of land and then bought another to have this fabulous house built and now all of a sudden they off back to the UK.Anyway good luck Phil on your return journey and hope it all works out for you .Remember anyone still thinking of coming here ,you don't hear from most of the people from the UK that actually love NZ.[/QUOTE]

We moved back to the UK in June/July 07.The experience was great and thErE ARE LOTS OF THINGS WE WIL MISS ABOT nz, but the Uk is home. We can actually say that we have been, we experienced and we returned. To all those people who are leaving to go over to NZ, go for it, it wil only be after expereincing it that u wil love it or not.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:37 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

They moved in but are never there by all accounts. Plus they were dodgy with everything with the house sale......whats the betting I don't get them.

And the police service just called and said our checks were sent 1st class today so all I am waiting for is the passports to go to NZ house.

F**k, b******s

I am tearing my hair out here.
Hi Nici,

hope things work out with your passports, what a worry at the last minute, but it will be o.k I'm sure, let us know.

Will be in touch.