Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:13 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Originally Posted by Maz
Happy, know what you mean about Florida. The humidity there was unbearable, the times I was there.
The heat and humidity doesn't particularly bother me. I happily lived in the Southeast Asian heat and humidity.
I guess it's Florida's gnats -- billions of the little bastards! My two sisters live in Tampa and they had to have netting built over their pool because of the stinkin' gnats. One has to wear goggles and a surgical mask just to mow the lawns or the critters would end up the nose or in the eyes.
Florida is also home to Walt Disney World. That alone is enough to keep me on this side of the Pacific Ocean!

edit: Sorry, Mark. This thread has veered so far off tangent. Jeez, from HGV driving in New Zealand to rants about Florida's gnats!

Last edited by happynz; Jan 2nd 2008 at 3:15 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:18 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
When you have 3 kids Florida is the place to be! Wouldn't want to live there but it is a great holiday destination.

We spent some time in Connecticut and some time in Seattle as we have relies in both places so we did think about living there but part of the reason for going home is the relies...wife's mum has cancer, in remission at present but last time she went for a check up they said she had some shadows and they would know more at her next 3 month check. My folks are both 70 now so seems the time is right to have some family time...do the old family party bbq thing for a few years.

A friend of ours, has lived here 10 years went back to see her mum in the UK and they knew as her mum is in her 80's that would be the last time they saw each other and we just thought aw that's awful...I know you get used to it when travelling but still hard to do!
I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL's cancer, albeit in remission. It's rough when that happens, I can sympathise and empathise. Seattle, CT and FL are 3 very different places, but that's certainly one of the strengths of the US, so much variety!

Originally Posted by happynz
The heat and humidity doesn't particularly bother me. I happily lived in the Southeast Asian heat and humidity.
I guess it's Florida's gnats -- billions of the little bastards! My two sisters live in Tampa and they had to have netting built over their pool because of the stinkin' gnats. One has to wear goggles and a surgical mask just to mow the lawns or the critters would end up the nose or in the eyes.
Florida is also home to Walt Disney World. That alone is enough to keep me on this side of the Pacific Ocean!
Ack! It was humid enough when we were in Orlando / Daytona in December one year, but I'm not sure I could handle gnats when mowing the lawn.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:18 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
edit: Sorry, Mark. This thread has veered so far off tangent. Jeez, from HGV driving in New Zealand to rants about Florida's gnats!

Oops yeah has a bit hasn't it? Sorry about that Mark!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by phil01
Ditto Happynz.

I did respond to your email a while back Mark but at the time you seemed to want Canada. Nothing has changed in terms of cost of living from what I told you last time wages are still in the $16 - 18 an hour bracket, house rental prices depends where you are heading check out www.realenz.co nz or trade me for up to date prices...cost of living in general high compared to UK.

Work...most companies want maximum hours, not a lot of nights out but some companies will expect it, dirtier job than the UK you load and unload yourself.

But as Happy said you can only get temporary residence...so consider things carefully before leaping in...it does have implications.

p.s. I am a truck driver over here with PR but got it through my wifes job!

pps. you're welcome to have my job 'cos I'm off back to the UK...need a break from the work culture out here! Good luck
Hi Phil sorry to hear its not worked out for you. We are due over in April with the mind set that we are coming for the experience if it works great if not well we would have lived there for a while hopefully learned more and had a good time. Are there any other truckers out there with a view on working in NZ be good to hear from you.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by markraynes
first of all Happy New Year to you guys. Hope you having a good one.

Hi guys.

me and missus have been thinking for long time bout living in NZ. Im a class 1 driver and wanted to be in contact with HGV Drivings living there so we can talk bout it and wat its like.
Got lots of Questions.

>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.

> Wats wages like

> Wheres best place to go

> Wats living like and how expensive it is. Like Fuel, HOuse Prices (rent/buy) etc

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks
Hi Mark
we have been doing the same as you for some time now and are ready to go first week of April I am looking for HGV1 work also. My wife has had some interviews we don't yet Know if anything is forth coming from those. I have tried to contact a few employers out there but the answer seems to be come out here and talk to us face to face so thats what we are doing. How far down the line are you?
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Mark have you thought about Oz at all?

Just about every house round here with a decent bit of land that's on the market seems to have massive sheds and "Plenty of Room for a Truck" advertised.

Good lifestyle, great beaches for the kids, cheap fuel....
We tried Oz but the gates were shut for 457 Temp visas for truck drivers.

We are now heading for NZ. We have sold the house, living with parents and coming out with not alot really. Oh yeah.....and 3 kids in tow.

Phil01....OMG. I am worried now. You seemed so happy before. Best wishes to you though.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzer15
Hi Phil sorry to hear its not worked out for you. We are due over in April with the mind set that we are coming for the experience if it works great if not well we would have lived there for a while hopefully learned more and had a good time. Are there any other truckers out there with a view on working in NZ be good to hear from you.
Hello.........we are well on our way to being in Rotorua by end of Jan if you want to keep in touch.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kato33
Hello.........we are well on our way to being in Rotorua by end of Jan if you want to keep in touch.
Hi Kato
it would be great to keep in touch thanks we are also feeling a little bit worried after hearing that Phil was going home to the UK But I have a sneaky suspicion he'll be back He always seemed happy in NZ but everyones situation is different fingers crossed for you. PM me if you wish Cheers for now
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Kato
it would be great to keep in touch thanks we are also feeling a little bit worried after hearing that Phil was going home to the UK But I have a sneaky suspicion he'll be back He always seemed happy in NZ but everyones situation is different fingers crossed for you. PM me if you wish Cheers for now
The more we can help each other out the better in IMO.
Any kids Gazzer??
We should hit NZ in around 4 weeks. If I can get access to a PC then I will let you all know how its going with Roger's new company. The hours seem a little naff at the mo but then we got the job offer whilst still over here so don't expect to get the cream of the work.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nerine
Mark have you thought about Oz at all?

Just about every house round here with a decent bit of land that's on the market seems to have massive sheds and "Plenty of Room for a Truck" advertised.

Good lifestyle, great beaches for the kids, cheap fuel....

well my options for still open. still getting ideas bout all locations
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Hi Mark
we have been doing the same as you for some time now and are ready to go first week of April I am looking for HGV1 work also. My wife has had some interviews we don't yet Know if anything is forth coming from those. I have tried to contact a few employers out there but the answer seems to be come out here and talk to us face to face so thats what we are doing. How far down the line are you?
we just started to get ideas. like on these threads. dont know a great deal. but we will defo not move without a job.
pm me your experiences and you may help us
thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by markraynes
we just started to get ideas. like on these threads. dont know a great deal. but we will defo not move without a job.
pm me your experiences and you may help us
thanks
Search the web and email EVERY truck company you find. I did and thats how we got the job offer from over here.

It does happen, you just have to look and look some more. If I can help in anyway feel free to ask.

Nici
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kato33
We tried Oz but the gates were shut for 457 Temp visas for truck drivers.

We are now heading for NZ. We have sold the house, living with parents and coming out with not alot really. Oh yeah.....and 3 kids in tow.

Phil01....OMG. I am worried now. You seemed so happy before. Best wishes to you though.
Hi Nici,

no don't be worried, we had a great time and don't regret a minute of it.

We just prefer what the UK has to offer in terms of money, housing, infrastructure and being back with family. That goes for having lived in Oz, Germany and travelled round a tiny bit of the US! None of them are home!

And guys...we don't see that it didn't work out! We went there, got jobs, fitted in, got residency and have chosen to go back to the UK for a few reasons...partly family and partly because we miss what we had in the UK, but it did work out we just realised we didn't actually want to be there. Like I said before Nici just an adventure!

So go there get the best jobs you can, get your residency and then if you choose to stay great...but you will then have the choice...which is fab! We know we can come back if we want...right now we don't think we will but ya never know!!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

suzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nicesuzi n steve is just really nice

Phil and Debbie, sorry to hear that you are coming back to the UK. You have both given consistently good and welcome advice on these boards and I'll miss you both.

You had a great tiome though and as you say, no regrets. You've had a great adventure. Who knows what is waiting for you in the future. Hope things go smoothly for you back in Yorkshire (or Godsown as Steve calls it, being a Yorkshireman)

Suzi

Karma for a safe trip back home. You'll have to have virtual karma, need to spread it around a bit first.

Last edited by suzi n steve; Jan 2nd 2008 at 7:50 pm. Reason: karma
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzi n steve
Phil and Debbie, sorry to hear that you are coming back to the UK. You have both given consistently good and welcome advice on these boards and I'll miss you both.

You had a great tiome though and as you say, no regrets. You've had a great adventure. Who knows what is waiting for you in the future. Hope things go smoothly for you back in Yorkshire (or Godsown as Steve calls it, being a Yorkshireman)

Suzi

Karma for a safe trip back home. You'll have to have virtual karma, need to spread it around a bit first.
Thank Suzi and yes Phil being a Yorkshireman says the same!

Take care and good luck for NZ!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.