Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

D'Costa Palms, Siolim

D'Costa Palms, Siolim

Old May 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

karlq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: D'Costa Palms, Siolim

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Milward,

First of all i would like to say that i love Goa and the Goan people but i also agree with what Douglas is saying.
Legally FNs can only register property in their own name once resident and as the HCI have stopped issuing x visas to FNs it is now practically impossible to do this. If you read previous posts you will see that FNs who previously held x visas are no longer able to get them renewed.

Now, a tourist visa is strictly for Holidaying or Visiting family/friends according to the Government and you are not permitted to purchase property or legally open bank accounts with one. So because of the on going investigations into bogus companies that tourists have set up to try and get around this and the current row over foreigners land grabbing in Goa, property is definately a very unstable and unsecure investment at this time for FNs.

Most FNs dont actually own their properties what they actually own is a five year rolling lease and are being charged freehold prices for the same. This can be translated as a very expensive rental agreement with little or no chance of ever obtaining the title deeds.

As property is one of the main investments that FNs are making in Goa they are taking a very big risk with their money and are also being mis-led by the property developers and estate agents by being told that every thing will be ok.

Would you buy a house in the UK at its full value if you knew you would never get the title deeds, never be deemed resident, and run the risk of having it confiscated?
Does this not sound risky to you?

For PIOs and OCIs sure there are no problems but at the moment for FNs it is too risky. Maybe things will change or maybe things will get even tighter.

Regards,
Remy
hi remi, just to confirm i opend a bank account, in november 05,on a 6month tourist visa,i have a cheque book,bank card,i get my statements on line,to tell me how much intrest,has gone into my account,icici bank in mapsa
Old May 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Milward,

First of all i would like to say that i love Goa and the Goan people but i also agree with what Douglas is saying.
Legally FNs can only register property in their own name once resident and as the HCI have stopped issuing x visas to FNs it is now practically impossible to do this. If you read previous posts you will see that FNs who previously held x visas are no longer able to get them renewed.

Now, a tourist visa is strictly for Holidaying or Visiting family/friends according to the Government and you are not permitted to purchase property or legally open bank accounts with one. So because of the on going investigations into bogus companies that tourists have set up to try and get around this and the current row over foreigners land grabbing in Goa, property is definately a very unstable and unsecure investment at this time for FNs.

Most FNs dont actually own their properties what they actually own is a five year rolling lease and are being charged freehold prices for the same. This can be translated as a very expensive rental agreement with little or no chance of ever obtaining the title deeds.

As property is one of the main investments that FNs are making in Goa they are taking a very big risk with their money and are also being mis-led by the property developers and estate agents by being told that every thing will be ok.

Would you buy a house in the UK at its full value if you knew you would never get the title deeds, never be deemed resident, and run the risk of having it confiscated?
Does this not sound risky to you?

For PIOs and OCIs sure there are no problems but at the moment for FNs it is too risky. Maybe things will change or maybe things will get even tighter.

Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Milward already knows most of this and now appears to have forgotten that he does, see his earlier post of 22nd jan.

Furthere more in the comming election there will me many new faces since the people are tired of the old politicians since they feel that they have sold Goa to foreigners. I belive after the coming election it will be difficult to buy property for non - indians. The rent option is the only possibility if you don't get a bussiness visa.

This is what i feel.

Milward

Milward, today must be one of the finest examples we have ever seen, of a goan discrediting both himself and goa. Presumably the opposite of what you intended.

Moral of the story, know your subject, dont under estimate your opponent, act only with integrity and do your homework.

douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me what sort of visa you need to run a business on BE?
Old May 29th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by karlq
hi remi, just to confirm i opend a bank account, in november 05,on a 6month tourist visa,i have a cheque book,bank card,i get my statements on line,to tell me how much intrest,has gone into my account,icici bank in mapsa
Hi karlq,,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to tell us here, other than you appear to have an illegal bank account.

I attach an extract from RBI FAQ.

6. Can foreign tourists open a bank account in India during their short visit?

Yes. Foreign tourists during their short visit to India can open a Non-Resident (Ordinary) Rupee (NRO) account with any bank dealing in foreign exchange. Such account can be opened upto a maximum period of 6 months.

regards

douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 2:16 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi karlq,,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to tell us here, other than you appear to have an illegal bank account.

I attach an extract from RBI FAQ.

Yes. Foreign tourists during their short visit to India can open a Non-Resident (Ordinary) Rupee (NRO) account with any bank dealing in foreign exchange. Such account can be opened upto a maximum period of 6 months.

regards

douglas
Hi Douglas,
We opened a bank account with the Canaria Bank before we did our six months, as did many of our friends. We had a debit card on that bank, where we could withdraw money in India.

Only now since having the "Sales Deeds" (freehold) registered have we been given a CREDIT card, and a debit card whereby we can withdraw money in UK from our Indian Account.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

hi doug, when i opend my account ,the bank took copies of my passport , two photos ,my uk address,phone no email ,plus i had to sign my signature 10 times. ive transferd ks from uk,to my indian account. i get intrest every 6 months, i dont think a world wide bank ,would deal in dodgy bank accounts, if thats the case i better buy all my furniture ect ,and empty my account asap. might wait till i get some more intrest c u karl
Old May 29th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noni
Hi Douglas,
We opened a bank account with the Canaria Bank before we did our six months, as did many of our friends. We had a debit card on that bank, where we could withdraw money in India.

Only now since having the "Sales Deeds" (freehold) registered have we been given a CREDIT card, and a debit card whereby we can withdraw money in UK from our Indian Account.
Hi Noni,

I can only quote FEMA which clearly says maximum duration six months for tourists bank accounts.

I am not saying that banks and other organizations dont aid and abet FNs in illegal acts, but i am saying that the onus is on the foreigner to know their subject and comply with the law.

The fact that someone or some organisation allowed a FN to commit an offence, is no defence in law, in india or anywhere else.

Having said that the whole place is dysfunctional and people may or may not get away with these things.

regards

douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi doug, when i opend my account ,the bank took copies of my passport , two photos ,my uk address,phone no email ,plus i had to sign my signature 10 times. ive transferd ks from uk,to my indian account. i get intrest every 6 months, i dont think a world wide bank ,would deal in dodgy bank accounts, if thats the case i better buy all my furniture ect ,and empty my account asap. might wait till i get some more intrest c u karl
Hi karlq,

If the bank realises the error they have made, emptying could well be a problem, see QA no 10.

7. What credits can be made to such accounts?

Funds remitted from outside India or those obtained by sale of foreign exchange brought by the tourists to India can be credited to the NRO account.

8. Can the NRO account be used for making local payments?

Yes. Tourists can freely make local payments by debit to the NRO account.

9. Can foreign tourists repatriate the balance held in their NRO account at the time of departure from India?

Banks have been allowed to convert the balance in the account at the time of departure of the tourists into foreign currency provided the account has been maintained for a period not exceeding six months and the account has not been credited with any local funds, other than interest accrued thereon.

10. What can be done to repatriate the proceeds of an account that has been maintained for more than six months?

In such cases, applications for repatriation of balance may be made on plain paper to the concerned Regional Office of Reserve Bank.

© Reserve Bank of India. All Rights Reserved. Best viewed in 1024x768 resolution in IE 5 and above.

douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

dickylewis is on a distinguished road

The fascinating game of Goa / UK politics goes on; Ghandi would have been proud I am sure. Nobody is yet to comment on the forum how they were drummed out of Goa with just the clothing they stood up in.
Douglas appears to be the gloomiest chap I have ever come across on a web site; even if he is correct in his assumptions nobody has told me what happens when I go to Goa in 2009 to take "possesion" of my apartment. Will it be there? Will the nasty Indians frog march me out for being a land grabbing imperialist?
Closer to home I don't see the 6 figure bonus boys in Mayfair having a problem that the Duke of Westminster who appears to own every grain of London mud their multi million pound flats are sat on.
What do you reckon on that one Doug?????
Old May 29th 2007, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Anybody else out there bought a place at D'Costa Palms? The news can't be all bad. Anybody seen the development work so far?

One of the reasons I bought is that I had a PEP/ISA that wasn't doing very well. My Jupiter Fund manager managed to turn every one of the £1000 I invested through him into £156 over an 8 year period. A fantastic loss of some 80%. He got a multi zero annual bonus this year and I continue to get mail telling me how good Jupiter fund managers are!!
I am sure that even a crooked Goan land agent would be pushed to achieve figures like that.
Old May 29th 2007, 2:52 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Noni,

I can only quote FEMA which clearly says maximum duration six months for tourists bank accounts.

I am not saying that banks and other organizations dont aid and abet FNs in illegal acts, but i am saying that the onus is on the foreigner to know their subject and comply with the law.

The fact that someone or some organisation allowed a FN to commit an offence, is no defence in law, in india or anywhere else.

Having said that the whole place is dysfunctional and people may or may not get away with these things.

regards

douglas
I have now come to the conculsion that if there is business to be had, the banks, estate agents, property developers are all out to get us. I know many many people with bank accounts, who have not done their 183 days. (but they have not got international debit cards) We were never told it was wrong, they just said come in and open an account, surely the big banks are not corrupt as well. Who can we trust?
Old May 29th 2007, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi karlq,

If the bank realises the error they have made, emptying could well be a problem, see QA no 10.

7. What credits can be made to such accounts?

Funds remitted from outside India or those obtained by sale of foreign exchange brought by the tourists to India can be credited to the NRO account.

8. Can the NRO account be used for making local payments?

Yes. Tourists can freely make local payments by debit to the NRO account.

9. Can foreign tourists repatriate the balance held in their NRO account at the time of departure from India?

Banks have been allowed to convert the balance in the account at the time of departure of the tourists into foreign currency provided the account has been maintained for a period not exceeding six months and the account has not been credited with any local funds, other than interest accrued thereon.

10. What can be done to repatriate the proceeds of an account that has been maintained for more than six months?

In such cases, applications for repatriation of balance may be made on plain paper to the concerned Regional Office of Reserve Bank.

© Reserve Bank of India. All Rights Reserved. Best viewed in 1024x768 resolution in IE 5 and above.

douglas
hi dougie, what the hell have you done out in goa ? you seem to have this hatred ,and dont seem to have a good word about anything ,to do with goa. cum on doug spill the beans, what have you been upto ? are you a russian.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Douglas does seem to have a somewhat acid taste in his mouth; I wonder what his thoughts are on buying Igloos.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dickylewis
The fascinating game of Goa / UK politics goes on; Ghandi would have been proud I am sure. Nobody is yet to comment on the forum how they were drummed out of Goa with just the clothing they stood up in.
Douglas appears to be the gloomiest chap I have ever come across on a web site; even if he is correct in his assumptions nobody has told me what happens when I go to Goa in 2009 to take "possesion" of my apartment. Will it be there? Will the nasty Indians frog march me out for being a land grabbing imperialist?
Closer to home I don't see the 6 figure bonus boys in Mayfair having a problem that the Duke of Westminster who appears to own every grain of London mud their multi million pound flats are sat on.
What do you reckon on that one Doug?????

Hi dickylewis,

I was given two weeks to leave goa and i had the clothes i stood up in and two bags, not quite as dramatic a picture as you paint, but almost.

You are just beginning to grasp the issues eg will this property ever be built, will it be up to spec etc.

Regarding access, they may not have to march you out, as they dont have to let you in to india in the first place.

There is a substantial difference in your mayfair analogy, when compared to the goa situation.

Mayfair was not taken by force from the portugese in 1962 and every tenant,family,organisation etc in the area didnt try and grab what they could and claim it as their own.

Nor did they have a major problem in the planning dept when they transferred all the maps and registrations from the portugese originals using the wrong scale, after the indian occupation.

Nor do they have the legacy of portugese inheritance laws and mandakar property rights that resulted in just about every goan still having a boundary law suit or neighbor dispute in progress.

I trust you did all the checks and balances regarding the freehold of the land and ideally registered your share of the freehold, before you parted with your money.

If you leased a flat in mayfair for 5 years nobody would ask you to pay the freehold price and you wouldnt consider paying it either.

Finally , lawyers are in general competent in UK, not so in goa. In the case of dispute you have the county or even the high court to hear your dispute in uk and you would get a fair hearing, again not so in goa the place is dysfunctional.

I leave you with an example of a goan property dispute admittedly an extreme one, just to balance out the bullshit about goa that you are receiving from developers and others with a vested interest.

http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories....Story_ID=12304

Unquiet Village Goa

THE lynching of 32-year-old Prithviraj Rane, son of landlord and
freedom fighter, Mr Krishnarao Rane by a mob at the Saleli village in
Sattari taluka on Wednesday was a gory incident that threatens to rip
apart the serene, moderate and peace-loving image of Goans. The
widescale violence, which not only brought the death of Prithviraj Rane
but also injuries to several police officials of various ranks and
damage to vehicles, raises the question whether policing in Goa has
been concentrating too much on the urban areas and not paying any
attention to the rural areas where agrarian conflicts can erupt into
such ghastly tumults. The Rane family which owns most of the land in
the village had been engaged in a bitter feud with the villagers for
more than 10 years and both sides had filed a number of complaints and
counter-complaints during these years with the police.

Raneâs murder should hopefully arouse the state administration in
general, which includes home, revenue and law departments, and the
police in particular from their indifference to land disputes in the
villages. They tend to presume that in Goa agrarian questions do not
exist. Else, how could it be possible that the simmering discontent at
Saleli did not come to the notice of the administrationâ more so when
Mr Krishnarao Rane has been a political worker( he acted as the
election agent of the Chief Minister, Mr Pratapsing Rane for some
elections)?

What is really disturbing to know that in spite of the dispute with
complaints and counter-complaints dragging for more than ten years the
local administration did not think it proper to settle the dispute. The
intensity of the animosity between the Ranes and the villagers could be
simply gauged from the fact that the villagers were united in their
fight against Mr Rane. This is clearly manifest in the manner the
villagers attacked the police personnel who had gone to the village on
that day.

If the Ranes allegedly acted with the stubbornness and arrogance of
landlords, the villagers who allegedly killed the young Rane indulged
in medieval barbarism. In spite of being warned of possible attack, the
younger Rane chose to go to the site where he had installed his new
stone-crusher. Obviously he was thinking that the villagers would not
harm him. Instead of trying to settle the matter with intervention of
government officials and panchayat, the villagers, finding him alone,
attacked and lynched him. It was a brutal, uncivilised act. It is
unfortunate that the incident took place even after filing of a
complaint with the local Valpoi police the previous day by the Ranes.
Mr Krishnarao Rane in his complaint had mentioned that over a property
dispute a group of 15 persons stoned his house and that of Ms Sunita
Bai Rane. They injured Ms Pooja Prithviraj Rane besides damaging a
cowshed and three vehicles which were parked outside their house at
Saleli.

In his complaint Mr Rane had also mentioned that some persons from
Saleli Bondawada formed an unlawful assembly and were armed with stones
and pelted stones at their house. But the police did not act on the
complaint. Probably, like the other concerned departments, the police
too nursed the view that in an urbanised state, crime of a serious
nature, like the murder of a big and powerful man in the village, would
not take place. Else, there is no plausible reason why the police
ignored the several complaints received from the Ranes and the
villagers. Had they acted in right earnest, probably the police
officials might not have to suffer this unprecedented humiliation;
nearly 30 policemen, including SP, DSP and inspectors were assaulted by
the villagers.

There is no doubt that the Saleli incident is a fall-out of pursuing of
an overly urban approach to governance. Hopefully, the Chief Minister,
Mr Pratapsing Rane, in whose constituency this happened would
re-sensitize the state administration to the outstanding agrarian
disputes in the villages so that gory crimes like this do not occur.
The villagers of Saleli were given some mundakar land. But they
refrained from occupying it, as they could not use the land for any
other purpose except agriculture. If agriculture does not interest
villagers, a good part of the blame goes to the government which has
failed to make it a viable vocation. With increasing pressures and
demands on land, Saleli is bound to recur. Even after forty years of
Liberation the Goa government has not succeeded in executing land
reforms that would have settled all disputes. The government must
reorient its approach toward the rural problems and set up a special
cell to study the outstanding disputes regarding land in the villages
and solve them amicably by legal means.

Douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi dougie, what the hell have you done out in goa ? you seem to have this hatred ,and dont seem to have a good word about anything ,to do with goa. cum on doug spill the beans, what have you been upto ? are you a russian.
Hi karlq,

Comrade douglas does have a ring to it, but no, the only thing i did in goa was be foreign (Brit), retired and own property. No different to most of you out there.

Please read all my posts and tell me where you feel i am expressing hatred.

I do say some good things about goa, but i am trying to achieve overall balance. To inform you all of the downsides to living in goa that others with a vested interest do not. Combine the two approaches and you have something like the true picture.

I can only give you the fact as i see and know them and no one on this site has so far disproved any of my statements. I wish the facts were different, but unfortunately they are not.

I rest my case

douglas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.