Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

The Return of the Acronites

The Return of the Acronites

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Bryson7 will become famous soon enoughBryson7 will become famous soon enough
Default The Return of the Acronites

All going a bit dull at the moment so I thought I'd raise Douglas from his slumbers and hopefully gain some information.
Has anyone bought furniture in Bombay and had it delivered to Goa? Just wondering if the larger stores do this.
Does any one know where you can purchase decent sofa beds or settees in Goa / Bombay ?
Yes, I'm on a standard Acron lease agreement with the option to the Freehold if and when this present situation resolves its self, before anyone asks.
Best Regards
Bryson
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Return of the Acronites

Originally Posted by Bryson7
All going a bit dull at the moment so I thought I'd raise Douglas from his slumbers and hopefully gain some information.
Has anyone bought furniture in Bombay and had it delivered to Goa? Just wondering if the larger stores do this.
Does any one know where you can purchase decent sofa beds or settees in Goa / Bombay ?
Yes, I'm on a standard Acron lease agreement with the option to the Freehold if and when this present situation resolves its self, before anyone asks.
Best Regards
Bryson
Hi Bryson7

Cant help you with the furniture , but must thank you for your declaration.

You come across as the perfect ambassador for acron, unlike some of your more furtive and belligerent fellows .

regards
douglas
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Douglas.
I'm sure some of my fellow Acronites are just a little nervous of having an ex. bootneck tearing into them each time they do a posting, but as an ex. matelot (C.D) bootnecks don't frighten me, unless they are in front of me in the dinner Q of course.
Joking apart, Acron have been using their method of selling (Lease /Freehold) for over eighteen years, they do have a very loyal customer base, I have spoken to few whilst in Goa.
This current situation regarding visas has turned many peoples lives up side down, but I think those on an Acron lease type agreement are in the best position as at least they are legal, dare I say that at the moment.
I have always found your posts very informative and sometimes ammusing in fact I really look forward to my " Daily dose of Douglas", cheers up my dull days in the North Sea.
Regards
Bryson

Last edited by Bryson7; Jul 23rd 2007 at 9:58 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:16 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Best Regards
Bryson

Hi Bryson,
When are you going over to Goa? We have names and address of companies and local carpenters, but they are all at the Apartment. We will not be going out until middle November.

Bed settees I have seen advertised in the local paper. We have bedsettee
bought in Margo - which came via Bombay - we were told it would take a week and eight weeks later it arrived, every day, will be there with you to-day. I think they carried it down the highway.

Having been out there for five years, I would not buy a bedsettee again, I would personally take those mattresses that self inflate. They are more comfortable. In fact I have not been in anybodies Apartment and sat on comfortable settee, would prefer the cane chairs with good seat pads.
Neither would I buy a cooker again - better off with cooking rings and a microwave.

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Douglas.
I'm sure some of my fellow Acronites are just a little nervous of having an ex. bootneck tearing into them each time they do a posting, but as an ex. matelot (C.D) bootnecks don't frighten me, unless they are in front of me in the dinner Q of course.
Joking apart, Acron have been using their method of selling (Lease /Freehold) for over eighteen years, they do have a very loyal customer base, I have spoken to few whilst in Goa.
This current situation regarding visas has turned many peoples lives up side down, but I think those on an Acron lease type agreement are in the best position as at least they are legal, dare I say that at the moment.
I have always found your posts very informative and sometimes ammusing in fact I really look forward to my " Daily dose of Douglas", cheers up my dull days in the North Sea.
Regards
Bryson
Hi Bryson 7,

You cant help being an ex matelot, some one had to do it (look after the bootnecks when they came on board for a cruise that is).

I have absolutely no objection to acron or anyone else issuing 58 month leases to FNs. I do object to them charging freehold prices though and somehow convincing the FNs that these agreements are something different than they are.

Their exhibiting in UK and the promotion of india as having an open door policy to property purchase by FNs is inexcusable, FEMA is highly restrictive in this area. The cult like loyalty of their FN customers also concerns me .

The current situation regarding non issuing of x visas to FNs is not some temporary abberation . Most of the FNs who had and still have x (entry ) visas shouldnt have been issued them in the first place. For that reason alone, the chances of the majority of the wannabee FNs ever becoming indian resident is minimal.

Rant over and fair sailing to you and all those at sea.

regards
douglas
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by noni
Hi Bryson,
When are you going over to Goa? We have names and address of companies and local carpenters, but they are all at the Apartment. We will not be going out until middle November.

Bed settees I have seen advertised in the local paper. We have bedsettee
bought in Margo - which came via Bombay - we were told it would take a week and eight weeks later it arrived, every day, will be there with you to-day. I think they carried it down the highway.

Having been out there for five years, I would not buy a bedsettee again, I would personally take those mattresses that self inflate. They are more comfortable. In fact I have not been in anybodies Apartment and sat on comfortable settee, would prefer the cane chairs with good seat pads.
Neither would I buy a cooker again - better off with cooking rings and a microwave.

Hi Noni,
I intend going out to Goa in October and again in March.
I'm really looking to find a decent settee / furniture store, most places I've seen just seem to stock the heavy dark type of furniture which I'm not too keen on.
Agree with you regarding the cooker.
Have to have a think regarding the cane furniture option if all else fails.
Did your carpenter build kitchen units for you?
Thank you for your reply Noni.
Regards
Bryson
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:44 am
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough

Hi Noni,
I intend going out to Goa in October and again in March.
I'm really looking to find a decent settee / furniture store, most places I've seen just seem to stock the heavy dark type of furniture which I'm not too keen on.
Agree with you regarding the cooker.
Have to have a think regarding the cane furniture option if all else fails.
Did your carpenter build kitchen units for you?
Thank you for your reply Noni.
Regards
Bryson
Hi Bryson

if you are looking for light kind of furniture there are two National furniture chains in India Style Spa and Zuari, both make fairly standard European kind pressed board to-be-assembled furniture. They are expensive by Indian standards but I think they would meet you requirements. Just search for their showrooms in Goa on the net and I think you might find what you are looking for.

regards

KKK
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Helene will become famous soon enoughHelene will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Depends on your taste of course - anything can be shipped from anywhere...Bombay, Bangalore, Delhi etc have a great selection - just what state it arrives is another story. Check out ebay - they have some furniture options which are really good, especially if you are after wood finish. There are quite a few 'modern' furniture shops that have sprung up but nothing like Ikea or Habitat if thats what you after. There are loads of kitchen places which look like they have a great deal of choice and finish they are on the higher budget side but the finishing in the show rooms does look good. Finding a good carpenter is a blessing - remember a carpenter here does not do the finishing of the wood - that the polishers job!

Personally had very bad after sales service from Style Spa and would never use them again as a result - so just keep that in mind if you visit there and suggest you may like to ask them to put there after sales promises in writing and stamp it witht he shop stamp!

I have had the same oven for 12 years - worked great up till last year, just changed it for a Faber range - depends how much baking you do I guess. White goods are available and most of the big companies have websites. Change your google to google.in and your find all the Phillips Samsung Whirlpool etc

Hope this helped a bit?

Helene
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

I bought some Style Spa items for my apartment here in Cochin, it is very good quality, I was told that it was French, but may just have been some sales talk, but still good quality and as stated previously a little on the expensive side compared to local prices.

Regards to all

John
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks KKK Helene and John for your posts, I'll have have a search on those sites.
Best Regards
Bryson
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

Hi Bryson, we will be using Ashlores Interiors to make all our furniture. They are based in Porvorim and have a website which I can't recall at the moment but it would come up on a google search. They are not the cheapest but are high quality and can make anything you like.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:58 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Best Regards
Bryson

Hi Bryson, Kinrara, Catpat and all,

Have found some telephone numbers.

Savio and excellent electrician - who turns up on time 99% of the time

Vincent (known as Vinney) 08323119090 who makes/installs beautiful hand made furniture to your design and requirements. Expensive by Goan standards but worth every penny. He makes anything in wood, price depending on the wood you choose. Beds, kitchens, tables, setees chairs, coffee tables, mirrors, etc. etc. Take an kitchen book with you and he will copy it - or MFI etc. any furniture you fancy take a picture.

Xavier - who will deliver the 'noff and other liquid refreshments 08322489893
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

Thanks Noni, have heard about Vinny from another Regal resident but we had already committed to Ashlores by then.

I look forward to hearing about the magnetic fly screens when we get to Goa. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the apartment is finished early and we can get there in November.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Very many thanks Noni for those contact numbers.
There was an intresting article in yesterdays Times about India's rich coming to London to buy property.... mmm wonder if they are having the same problems as we are? Perhaps our MP's could lobby for a fair deal for us.
I think the reason why so many of my fellow Acronites aren't having any input on this site, is that like me they have made their commitment and are just having to go along with what ever the India government decide, we are all pretty much in the same boat so there really isn't much point in crying about it. Yes it might be an expensive lease if we never gain the freehold but gee after all this rain I'm looking forward to some sunshine on my back in my "own " apartment, furnished how I want it to be for a relaxing time, be it only for six months at a time. One is a long time dead.
I totally agree with what Douglas and many others are trying to do and that is to make sure people are fully aware of all the facts of home "ownership" in India.
Thank you all once again for all the info.
Regards Bryson
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:38 pm

Very many thanks Noni for those contact numbers.
There was an intresting article in yesterdays Times about India's rich coming to London to buy property.... mmm wonder if they are having the same problems as we are? Perhaps our MP's could lobby for a fair deal for us.
I think the reason why so many of my fellow Acronites aren't having any input on this site, is that like me they have made their commitment and are just having to go along with what ever the India government decide, we are all pretty much in the same boat so there really isn't much point in crying about it. Yes it might be an expensive lease if we never gain the freehold but gee after all this rain I'm looking forward to some sunshine on my back in my "own " apartment, furnished how I want it to be for a relaxing time, be it only for six months at a time. One is a long time dead.
I totally agree with what Douglas and many others are trying to do and that is to make sure people are fully aware of all the facts of home "ownership" in India.
Thank you all once again for all the info.

Regards Bryson
Hi Bryson,

What Douglas is trying to do is to stop people getting into my and his position where we thought we were o.k. and then got THE letter.
Seriously have any Acronites got as far as Douglas/Noni, and actually Registered their Sale Deeds? None of us are safe - but as you say, we are a long time dead - can't wait to get out there for the sun .

Have just come back from B & Q. for anybody who wants to buy light fittings their had lovely wall lights reduced to £3, and light shades from £1 - £3. real bargains. Bought some weird and wonderful lights from £55 to £3 - don't know what we are going to do with them yet, but could not resist the bargain.

Noni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.