Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help! Shipping LA to London?

Help! Shipping LA to London?

Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:44 am
Just Joined

zebra15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Shipping LA to London?

We are planning to move our family back from LA to London this summer !
I could really use recommendations for reliable international shipping companies - and which ones to avoid. We used Pickfords on the way over, but it seems that there are fewer well-established, known brands to choose from in LA. Any positive experiences of LA area international shipping companies would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Shipping LA to London?

We have used Rainier. They seem to be easy to deal with.

Our stuff has just arrived in the UK apparently, but we'll have to store it for a while, so can't give a definitive recommendation. Others on BE have used them though.

http://www.rainieros.com/
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Check UPakWeShip. We used them from Canada but they are an American company. Excellent service and prices. We worked with Pete and he was excellent.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just sent our stuff by upakweship. We have sold almost everything and got a u-box that we got all our books, pictures, photos, CDs, DVDs hubbies tool chests my large collection of Swarovski crystal, some glass Xmas ornaments, bedding, dishes, pots and pans, shoes, curtains, the list goes on. We were very surprised how much we got in. We dry packed first, as everything has to be labelled and then once we were happy with it we unpacked and repacked after lab belling everything. With boxes and loss items total was 72 items. They have picked it up just waiting on the invoice crate was $1200 but we got insurance so about 2% of what goods worth we have about $8500 worth of stuff in that little crate. Everything else we have sold and will buy new when we get back to the uk. After all it's only stuff.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:07 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

The one I always recommend on here Scumachers. We moved in 2011 from LA back to London. Their packers were excellent, think we dealt with Greg Speed, sorry memory's a bit hazy!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogibear1961
We have just sent our stuff by upakweship. We have sold almost everything and got a u-box that we got all our books, pictures, photos, CDs, DVDs hubbies tool chests my large collection of Swarovski crystal, some glass Xmas ornaments, bedding, dishes, pots and pans, shoes, curtains, the list goes on. We were very surprised how much we got in. We dry packed first, as everything has to be labelled and then once we were happy with it we unpacked and repacked after lab belling everything. With boxes and loss items total was 72 items. They have picked it up just waiting on the invoice crate was $1200 but we got insurance so about 2% of what goods worth we have about $8500 worth of stuff in that little crate. Everything else we have sold and will buy new when we get back to the uk. After all it's only stuff.
Are you saying it was only $1200 for a U box - plus insurance? How big is the U box?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:24 am
Just Joined

zebra15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all of your advice. You have been very helpful. FWIW for future users, I received the following quotes for a 40' container from LA to London, full service packing & shipping door-to-door:

SDC International Shipping $11,770
ACE Relocation Systems (Atlas) $10,885
Alex Moving & Storage (North American) $10,300
Schumacher Cargo Logistics $9,000

This discussion forum has been very useful for me, and I hope these quotes will help other people in the future to benchmark the quotes they receive.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by windsong
Are you saying it was only $1200 for a U box - plus insurance? How big is the U box?
Yes the ubox was $1200 the insurance was $169, the insurance is 2% of what your stuff value in the box. I filled mine to the brim. The box is 56 inches by 39 by 39, comes flat packed and you assemble and pack and then they collect and ship. They say it will be 6-8 weeks, we will see. The only thing I would say is order early send early as we are still waiting for them to take the payment from our account, so was not able to close the American account before leaving the states, which is a bummer, because I have to now call as soon as it clears so I don't pay bank charges.
Old May 7th 2014, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogibear1961
Yes the ubox was $1200 the insurance was $169, the insurance is 2% of what your stuff value in the box. I filled mine to the brim. The box is 56 inches by 39 by 39, comes flat packed and you assemble and pack and then they collect and ship. They say it will be 6-8 weeks, we will see. The only thing I would say is order early send early as we are still waiting for them to take the payment from our account, so was not able to close the American account before leaving the states, which is a bummer, because I have to now call as soon as it clears so I don't pay bank charges.
It doesn't sound very big but when you map it out on the carpet, times 39 high, it's quite large indeed. You could cram a whole lot of things in that box. Is there any weight limitation (such as if you wanted to put dishes in it)?
Old May 7th 2014, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by windsong
It doesn't sound very big but when you map it out on the carpet, times 39 high, it's quite large indeed. You could cram a whole lot of things in that box. Is there any weight limitation (such as if you wanted to put dishes in it)?
No weight limit, we had dishes, pans, ornaments, books, CDs, DVDs, bedding, curtains and a very heavy tool box that weighed about 250lbs on its own. It's the case of if it fits it ships.
We taped it out on the floor and did a dry fit, when we got the box we dry fitted again as every thing had to be labeled with the name and number of number, we had boxes and a lot of single items but every thing had to be numbered in total we had 72 items large and small.