Transferring skills to Uk

Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:21 am
Just Joined

almostdansk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring skills to Uk

Hi on the advice of another member Ill ask this here

I am 53 and have been living in Denmark for the last 25 years, a plumber by trade and have worked as such for 20 years here in DK, but as I did my apprenticeship here I'm not sure how to proceed in the Uk.

also my safety net (job seeking Benefits) from Dk would only be good for three months so I would need to find employment before they expired, then I'm confused where I would stand if I did not manage to find a job.

I can stay with a very good friend to get me started so accommodation would not be an issue
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring skills to Uk

You would need to register as a job seeker in the UK. You would be eligible for UK job seekers benefits after 3 months if you can pass the habitual residence test that shows you are a resident of the UK with the intention to stay. You could check with the job centre as to whether you would need any further training, licenses to practice as a plumber in the UK.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

almostdansk is an unknown quantity at this point

yes thank you, its the habitual residence test thats the problem as I've read it can take up to 6 months for a decision to be made and that would not be ideal for my situation.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by almostdansk
yes thank you, its the habitual residence test thats the problem as I've read it can take up to 6 months for a decision to be made and that would not be ideal for my situation.
It can take that long but if you can establish that you are planning to stay it may not take that long. register on the electoral register as soon as you get there. Set up a bank account. Register with a doctor. Also if you are shipping your belongings back showing the records can help. Anything that shows you have cut your ties with the country you are returning from is going to help you and anything that shows you you have ties to the UK and planning to stay.