heading back

Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

merciacanuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default heading back

i'm planning on moving back to the UK later this year after 25 years in Canada. I do have some concerns..........1. Will I struggle to find employment as i'm not coming in from an EU country? I hear priority is given to Europeans.
2. Will i have access to the NHS or is there a waiting period.
3.Is it best to purchase a property or rent at this time?
4. Will i need a permanent address before i can get a job and get a bank account?
5.what happens to pensioners on returning? is there a wait period before getting a pension.
any good advice would be welcome......thankyou.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heading back

Originally Posted by merciacanuk
i'm planning on moving back to the UK later this year after 25 years in Canada. I do have some concerns..........1. Will I struggle to find employment as i'm not coming in from an EU country? I hear priority is given to Europeans.
2. Will i have access to the NHS or is there a waiting period.
3.Is it best to purchase a property or rent at this time?
4. Will i need a permanent address before i can get a job and get a bank account?
5.what happens to pensioners on returning? is there a wait period before getting a pension.
any good advice would be welcome......thankyou.
1. If you're in the UK legally not treating you equally would be unlawful discrimination.

2. If you are "resident" in the UK you are entitled to use NHS services on the same basis as everyone else resident in the UK. If you step off the plane intending to stay, find a job and settle, you are immediately "resident" for the purpose of access to the NHS

3. Renting gives you flexibility, you probably shouldn't anchor yourself to/with a house until you've let the dust settle.

4. In theory no to both, but opening a bank account might be tricky until you can prove reside at an address through something such as a utility bill.

5. Your pension has nothing to do with residence or location, if you're eligible for a pension you can claim it even if you're not in the UK. The British state pension, as with private pensions, is a function of what you've paid in. You may be eligible to pay in six (or more) years of arrears contributions to the state pension scheme, but first you'll need to get a statement of your current situation.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Pension - have you paid National Insurance ?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
1. If you're in the UK legally not treating you equally would be unlawful discrimination.

2. If you are "resident" in the UK you are entitled to use NHS services on the same basis as everyone else resident in the UK. If you step off the plane intending to stay, find a job and settle, you are immediately "resident" for the purpose of access to the NHS

3. Renting gives you flexibility, you probably shouldn't anchor yourself to/with a house until you've let the dust settle.

4. In theory no to both, but opening a bank account might be tricky until you can prove reside at an address through something such as a utility bill.

5. Your pension has nothing to do with residence or location, if you're eligible for a pension you can claim it even if you're not in the UK. The British state pension, as with private pensions, is a function of what you've paid in. You may be eligible to pay in six (or more) years of arrears contributions to the state pension scheme, but first you'll need to get a statement of your current situation.
many thanks..very helpful
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Pension - have you paid National Insurance ?
yes.....for 7 years.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merciacanuk
yes.....for 7 years.
OK, well that's not much because as of today if you retire you'd get 7/30ths of a full pension. I think you should be eligible to pay six years of arrears, though I'd heard of someone paying more (eight years), so if you paid in six more years that would give you 13/30ths, or almost half. However the intention is to move to a "full contribution" of 35 years in the near future, so if you have paid 7 years, pay 6 more in arrears, and work 10 more years, you would probably get 23/35ths of a full pension, or about ⅔ of what is anticipated to be £125/wk in 2014 GB pounds.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

or about ⅔ of what is anticipated to be £125/wk in 2014 GB pounds.
No, that is not correct. The single tier pension will be more than the pension credit minimum income guarantee, which is £142.70, at 2013 values. The illustration used in Government leaflets is £144.

See:https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

On state pensions, I suggest that you have a look at the age.uk website.

Whether or not it is worthwhile paying extra voluntary national insurance contributions is going to depend on whether you are going to have other income in retirement. If you are going to be dependent on means tested benefits, then you may not gain anything.

Unlike Canada, you cannot take your state pension early in the UK, so you need to know your retirement age (there will be a link to a calculator on the Age UK site). If you are intending to work beyond retirement age, there can be an advantage in deferring taking your state pension, because you'll get more.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Editha
On state pensions, I suggest that you have a look at the age.uk website.

Whether or not it is worthwhile paying extra voluntary national insurance contributions is going to depend on whether you are going to have other income in retirement. If you are going to be dependent on means tested benefits, then you may not gain anything.

Unlike Canada, you cannot take your state pension early in the UK, so you need to know your retirement age (there will be a link to a calculator on the Age UK site). If you are intending to work beyond retirement age, there can be an advantage in deferring taking your state pension, because you'll get more.
My mother deferred her state pension for five years, and gets about 50% more than a standard pension. If I remember correctly, after 10 years you are "ahead" by taking the higher pension deferred for five years. The numbers might vary slightly depending on your exact circumstances. Also, beyond retirement age, you don't have to pay NI, though if you've not paid in enough, it might be advantageous to do so.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My mother deferred her state pension for five years, and gets about 50% more than a standard pension. If I remember correctly, after 10 years you are "ahead" by taking the higher pension deferred for five years. The numbers might vary slightly depending on your exact circumstances. Also, beyond retirement age, you don't have to pay NI, though if you've not paid in enough, it might be advantageous to do so.
With the 'old-style' pension, the uplift is 10.4% for every year deferred. Compared with current annuity rates, that is a very good deal.

But the rate for deferment is going to be halved for the new 'single-tier' pension. That's still good, but not as good as before.