Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Canada shipping costs?

Moving back to the UK from Canada shipping costs?

Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:24 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to the UK from Canada shipping costs?

So, we've made the decision to move back by summer next year, and have started to put the plan in action by reno'ing the house, ready to go on the market.
When we moved out here we had a 20ft container through Allied for about £5'500. We will be taking back a bit more than we came with. (I really want to keep my American King size bed!!) So does anyone have experience of a 40ft container, or a share of one, and the costs going back? I'm already having a panic attack at the potential cost of Realtors here
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Canada shipping costs?

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
So, we've made the decision to move back by summer next year, and have started to put the plan in action by reno'ing the house, ready to go on the market.
When we moved out here we had a 20ft container through Allied for about £5'500. We will be taking back a bit more than we came with. (I really want to keep my American King size bed!!) So does anyone have experience of a 40ft container, or a share of one, and the costs going back? I'm already having a panic attack at the potential cost of Realtors here
I moved back in 2012 from Calgary to Southern Scotland. I didn't move much in the way of furniture, but did share a container. Cost was $7712 for a shipment of 370 cu ft & 3080 lbs. I used Starline and I was very pleased with their service.

I was also concerned about the cost of using a real estate agent. I was planning to do a "sale by owner". Decided against that and found a great realtor. He listed the house higher than I would have, did all the tarting up (at his cost) and sold the house in six days at almost the full asking price. I would have spent significantly more than he did in the sprucing up process and listed for less, so in my case he was worth very penny.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:21 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I moved back in 2012 from Calgary to Southern Scotland. I didn't move much in the way of furniture, but did share a container. Cost was $7712 for a shipment of 370 cu ft & 3080 lbs. I used Starline and I was very pleased with their service.

I was also concerned about the cost of using a real estate agent. I was planning to do a "sale by owner". Decided against that and found a great realtor. He listed the house higher than I would have, did all the tarting up (at his cost) and sold the house in six days at almost the full asking price. I would have spent significantly more than he did in the sprucing up process and listed for less, so in my case he was worth very penny.
Thanks, interesting you mentioned the weight, we had no specification of weight allowance in our previous move. Is the weight charged additionally here?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:37 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, interesting you mentioned the weight, we had no specification of weight allowance in our previous move. Is the weight charged additionally here?
I don't recall weight being a factor, I think it was just stated in the paperwork, so the volume is probably the most relevant number.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Upakweship seem to be reasonable, or contact a freight forwarding company close to you if you're happy to do the packing yourself. You'll save thousands but much more work to do yourself, depends what your priorities are.

If you get a good realtor, they're generally worth the money. I'd sell on my own only if I was in an area/type of house that sells quickly and easily. Each to their own though.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

our's was in the region of £12,000 from Alberta. We had a 40ft container packed to the brim. The king bed was on top of my list to bring home.We get the keys for our new house this Thursday and we are knocking two rooms into one to accomodate the bed.........i will never get rid of that lol !!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same boat as you, tarting up now and listing in a couple of weeks. You are right the cost of a Realtor is high However we have been trying to sell our home as a turn key business since Sept last year and the inquiries we have got have turned out to be just time wasters! We have also decided on a Realtor and she put the price higher as well.

We also came out with Robinsons/Allied and will probably try them again for a quote or do the Youpakweship way too. Trying to keep it to 20ft container.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

I am in the midst of getting shipping quotes Montreal-UK. They have all quoted on volume and weight and vary from an estimated 36cbm to 50cbm with costs from $9000 to $12000. So it is a 40' container but not full.
This includes the packing, loading and shipping and delivery but no unpacking.

Last edited by tallperson; Apr 15th 2014 at 8:30 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Excess Baggage Company, the guys you see in the airports, but they have a cargo unit specifically for this kind of stuff. Highly recommend them, and through their association memberships, they work with local guys in Canada.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Our quote from Upakweship is $6760, Edmonton to Devon. That's for a 20' container. The 20' is a bit of a gamble. All the estimates were for a 40', but we'd used a 20' van when we downsized last year and so we are reasonably confident it will all fit in.

I'm expecting our total relocation costs to come to under £10,000. That includes the two cats and our air fares, van or car rental at each end, and a hotel in Edmo for our last few days.

I'm quite pleased to have kept the cost so low, because we spent £13,000 coming out in '06, but that was a relocation allowance, not our own money.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

We used Tippet Richardsons of Calgary and i must say they did an awsome job. They wrapped the large furniture and we packed most of the boxes ourselves.We got them out to the house first,as a few people said we would get away with a 20 ft trailer. They can work out what size you need and our 40 ft trailer was packed to the brim ,they couldnt have got another thing in there. We were very pleased with them
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

We used UPakWeShip in December with a 20' shipping container from B.C. They were excellent and we were quite pleased. Give Pete a call there for a quote. We did our own packing (not one thing broken!) but hired local movers to load the container. The quoted price includes unloading/unpacking in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNtoUK
We used UPakWeShip in December with a 20' shipping container from B.C. They were excellent and we were quite pleased. Give Pete a call there for a quote. We did our own packing (not one thing broken!) but hired local movers to load the container. The quoted price includes unloading/unpacking in the UK.
Oh that's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. We are using Upak too and most likely will just be having a shared container, no furniture, just boxes. I was thinking we would just hire a truck and do it ourselves, but a mover might be an idea. We are in Toronto....can I ask who you used?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Oh that's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. We are using Upak too and most likely will just be having a shared container, no furniture, just boxes. I was thinking we would just hire a truck and do it ourselves, but a mover might be an idea. We are in Toronto....can I ask who you used?
We were in B.C. and hired local movers we'd had experience with to load the truck. Definitely money well spent as I was almost 7 months pregnant and had two toddlers running around. The movers had a 4-hour minimum but it was fine to have them there early, making sure everything was ready to load into the shipping container when it got to our house. The quote from UPakWeShip included movers to unload and unpack the container in the UK.