Furkids

Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:27 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Furkids

I'm going to start out this post by thanking anyone who just takes the time to read it. It's gonna be a long one.

Our move is two years from now at the earliest. But I'm always working on the financial plan. A big part of the moving cost that I foresee is transiting our two dogs. I've started serously researching this, and I'm having a harder time sorting out a geographical plan than figuring out the money. Well - put it this way - it makes the money even harder to work out.

We would be heading to Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It's always a long slog just for two humans. We live far enough inland in the US that we always need a domestic flight to get to an international airport. Our last journey was from Columbus, Ohio through Chicago then on to Heathrow. We then flew BA to Belfast and took the bus to Derry City. (Lately there is a new route straight to Belfast on United but that's of no use when it comes to flying the girls with us to the UK).

So......in moving the animals......our dogs would have two flights just to get across the ocean. There are no DEFRA BIP's in Northern Ireland for live animals. So we HAVE to land on the mainland and get to Northern Ireland from there. It looks to me that flying from the US into Manchester would make good sense as it is nearer Liverpool than London. We could then ferry ourselves and the animals from Liverpool over to Belfast. Family or friends could pick us up from there.

Has anyone any other ideas?

Points that matter and things that I ponder:

1. Our dogs are smallish and would probably fit in the 10-50 pound category, including their crate. Both are crate trained.

2. One is half pug so I'm treating her travel as if she were a full pug. This means no flying on British Airways (I presume this restriction applies to a UK flight as well as a transatlantic one - thus my conclusion on ferrying over to NI).

3. Because of the "pugness", United looks like my target carrier. Do their estimated pet carriage charges include a US domestic flight? Or would that flight leg add to the charges?

4. United has a 'partner' who handles the animals after they land. What does this mean? I suspect additional charges and if so what kind of charges should I expect?

I'm a really good planner, but all this does my head in. If anyone has thoughts or insight, I could really use it. Thanks so much for taking the time to read.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furkids

Animals are a bog concern to man of us that are moving back. I will be flying my extremely anxious lab and I am freaked out about it. It is not recommend if at at all possible to fly dogs with connections. Seems that many problems are caused when the animals have to be transferred from one flight to another, getting lost or being left on the tarmac etc. It can definitely add to their stress also. Not sure where in the US you are but have you thought about the QM2? The kennels are actually cheaper than flying and less stressful and no issues with your dog being a pug. You would go from New york and land in Southampton and then maybe get a flight to your final destination so its only one short flight for the dogs.
You should also check out United's reputation when it comes to animal transport. I have heard some bad stories about them. Most airline hand over the dogs on landing to a cargo service. There are extra charges with this. Flying into Heathrow I have to pay 320gbp for this.
You could also check out animal transport companies. They may be able to transport your animal for part of the journey by road or train so that it would mean only 1 flight for them.

Last edited by lgabriel73; Apr 5th 2014 at 8:12 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:36 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about the QM2. I've got the same logistical problems though, perhaps even more so stateside.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

As it is early days, I have decided to reach out to an animal transport service. I've sent an email to AirAnimal. If anyone in the US has other recommendations that would be great.

What really concerns me about the DIY aspect of this is there are two dogs. I'm having a hard time imagining wrangling two crates for this long journey.

Anyway.......that's where I'm at. Very early days.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

In these situations, sometimes you have to really think outside of the box.

Is a road trip to the nearest main hub feasible (van rental)?

In the long run, looking back an extra $500 or $1,000 spent on van rental, motel room rental, ferry fares, etc. will be nothing. Rather than assume that every segment of your journey has to be by air, and non-stop (i.e., continuous) could you use road and ferry, with stopovers?

Last edited by dunroving; Apr 6th 2014 at 3:46 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
As it is early days, I have decided to reach out to an animal transport service. I've sent an email to AirAnimal. If anyone in the US has other recommendations that would be great.

What really concerns me about the DIY aspect of this is there are two dogs. I'm having a hard time imagining wrangling two crates for this long journey.

Anyway.......that's where I'm at. Very early days.
I remember reaching Manchester Airport in 2001, when I went back after only being here (UK) for a year. I had Suzy in a big crate and when I got dropped off, I thought, "OK, where is the trolly?" In a US airport you can find a porter or a big flat wheelie thingy to put all your worldly goods on (including a dog inn a crate) but no, no-one at the airport could help me. I ended up taking her out, dragging the crate a few feet, going back and dragging my luggage a few feet, etc., until I reached the check-in. All the time, I had her on a lead and she was clearly thinking I was going mad.

Ah, those were the days. We get through these things at the time and when we look back we wonder how we managed it.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

You could try one of the UK based animal transport companies, they were a fraction of the price of the ones in Canada. Also, they were able to tell me that Heathrow charge an awful lot more than Gatwick to receive animals, so they tended to prefer the flights into Gatwick for example.

Friends of our used Petsaway and were very happy with them.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:29 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by dunroving
In these situations, sometimes you have to really think outside of the box.

Is a road trip to the nearest main hub feasible (van rental)?

In the long run, looking back an extra $500 or $1,000 spent on van rental, motel room rental, ferry fares, etc. will be nothing. Rather than assume that every segment of your journey has to be by air, and non-stop (i.e., continuous) could you use road and ferry, with stopovers?
I've been trying to think outside the box and that's why my head hurts!

It's no problem gettting the four of us (two humans and two dogs) to Columbus, Ohio airport. The airline would take the dogs from us and we could land in Manchester.

What from there though? Maybe a man with a van from that airport over to the ferry at Liverpool? Once the ferry docks in Belfast family could pick us up there.......
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:30 pm
WhiteRabbit

I remember reaching Manchester Airport in 2001, when I went back after only being here (UK) for a year. I had Suzy in a big crate and when I got dropped off, I thought, "OK, where is the trolly?" In a US airport you can find a porter or a big flat wheelie thingy to put all your worldly goods on (including a dog inn a crate) but no, no-one at the airport could help me. I ended up taking her out, dragging the crate a few feet, going back and dragging my luggage a few feet, etc., until I reached the check-in. All the time, I had her on a lead and she was clearly thinking I was going mad.

Ah, those were the days. We get through these things at the time and when we look back we wonder how we managed it.
This is what catches me up! I have this image of each of us with a dog on a lead and not being able to manage the cases..............
Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:39 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Dashie
You could try one of the UK based animal transport companies, they were a fraction of the price of the ones in Canada. Also, they were able to tell me that Heathrow charge an awful lot more than Gatwick to receive animals, so they tended to prefer the flights into Gatwick for example.

Friends of our used Petsaway and were very happy with them.
Good idea. It's the UK side of the journey that really concerns me.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:06 pm
Ping-ponger

I think you have two options:

Find a pet transport company, as suggested. If they do a big job, it may be expensive (but as per my previous email, in retrospect, it may be worth every penny).

Do a "hybrid" - find/hire people to do the bits you need, such as your "man with a van" idea. Alternatively, a pet transport company may just do the bits you need help with.

Even a taxi might be the cheapest/most convenient. Taxis these days can be large vans so could fit you and everything. In the UK, we tend to think, "What? Waste good money on a taxi all the way from Manchester to Liverpool?" - but it may cost a lot less than you think, especially if you book ahead.

Anything is possible, you just have to pay for it. In these situations, I have found you have to stop thinking about every penny and just say if it will cost £100 then that's how much it will cost.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:25 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any experience in this area, but Celticspirit does. She recently moved from Texas to Northern Ireland. I will try to link a recent post of hers, but if I am unsuccessful, perhaps you can send her a PM.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:29 pm
WhiteRabbit

I think you have two options:

Find a pet transport company, as suggested. If they do a big job, it may be expensive (but as per my previous email, in retrospect, it may be worth every penny).

Do a "hybrid" - find/hire people to do the bits you need, such as your "man with a van" idea. Alternatively, a pet transport company may just do the bits you need help with.

Even a taxi might be the cheapest/most convenient. Taxis these days can be large vans so could fit you and everything. In the UK, we tend to think, "What? Waste good money on a taxi all the way from Manchester to Liverpool?" - but it may cost a lot less than you think, especially if you book ahead.

Anything is possible, you just have to pay for it. In these situations, I have found you have to stop thinking about every penny and just say if it will cost £100 then that's how much it will cost.
You are right.

I'm willing to pay reasonable amounts of "extra" to do this right. My primary concern above cost is the safety of our girls. Say we do this taxi or man-with-a-van thing (and I do think that is an option). I want to allow enough time so no one is rushed. I don't want some dude who is is a hurry to get on to his next fare. I want to be able to let the girls out of their crates in an away-from-traffic area so they can relieve themselves. They are good dogs but excitable in new situations. I don't want someone breathing down our necks to "get on with it" and in the stress, one of the dogs darts out of the crate onto the pavement.

My husband and I have done this long slog ourselves often enough that we know how draining and tiring it can be with just ourselves and luggage. I don't want to put the girls in any danger because of it. They are really good dogs and crate trained already. I don't think they would have any trouble with time in their crates during travel, etc. I'm sure they would be less stressed than we would be.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:35 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
You are right.

I'm willing to pay reasonable amounts of "extra" to do this right. My primary concern above cost is the safety of our girls. Say we do this taxi or man-with-a-van thing (and I do think that is an option). I want to allow enough time so no one is rushed. I don't want some dude who is is a hurry to get on to his next fare. I want to be able to let the girls out of their crates in an away-from-traffic area so they can relieve themselves. They are good dogs but excitable in new situations. I don't want someone breathing down our necks to "get on with it" and in the stress, one of the dogs darts out of the crate onto the pavement.

My husband and I have done this long slog ourselves often enough that we know how draining and tiring it can be with just ourselves and luggage. I don't want to put the girls in any danger because of it. They are really good dogs and crate trained already. I don't think they would have any trouble with time in their crates during travel, etc. I'm sure they would be less stressed than we would be.
Maybe rent a "van without a man"?

Manchester and Liverpool are big cities, so I wouldn't be surprised if a 1-way rental of a people-carrier would be do-able. Then you are in charge of your timing. There must be some way of getting help with all your stuff from the terminal to the car rental?

Last edited by dunroving; Apr 6th 2014 at 6:40 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Most car rental companies do one way rentals, as long as they have a branch there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.