Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to go? Are you British - where did you land?

Where to go? Are you British - where did you land?

Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Fluffylilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to go? Are you British - where did you land?

I know many people base their location choices on where family are - but we don't have that consideration...We want:

Weather better than the UK (Warmer and less wet in the Summer)
Not too much in the way of Tornadoes and/or Earthquakes...
But not too moist
Good Horse-riding trails
Not too far from civiisation (we're British!)
Good links for our business

Where would you go?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:41 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go? Are you British - where did you land?

Originally Posted by Fluffylilly
I know many people base their location choices on where family are - but we don't have that consideration...We want:

But not too moist
Good Horse-riding trails

Where would you go?
You're not going to get all snotty when people try to help like in your other thread, are you?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you go?
Utah or Arizona. Given that choice, I'd rather go to Arizona... but you'd probably prefer Utah.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the kind of business and what's the kind of Budget?

Not much point in mentioning Boston if you want a chunk of land...plus it rains a lot there.

Possibly Portland area of Maine.

Around, but perhaps not in, Burlington, VT

It's not like you didn't say you were against the snow.

But then again, more bang for your buck in say South Carolina....probably in most of the southern states too, but if you're a big drinker etc, might not like some of the south.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Utah or Arizona. Given that choice, I'd rather go to Arizona... but you'd probably prefer Utah.

Ian
Depends on how hot you want it too - currently hit just over 100 in SLC, but southern Utah is normally a fair bit warmer than northern Utah, hence why the Wasatch front is the prime population area of Utah, and not Moab or St George

After those criteria have narrowed down, you then have to look at other ones - do you like a drink? If so, Utah might not be for you as the Legislature (aka religiouslature), being around 80% Mormon, aren't fond of it On the other hand, Utah has very good skiing, the Uintah mountains are very nice with lots of lakes, both small and large, and outdoor activities are pretty good.

Both AZ and UT being desert states, there isn't high humidity to match the temperatures, so it's probably more bearable than a southern state that does have high humidity.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:41 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Possibly Portland area of Maine.
Bob, have you forgotten how much it rains in summer up here? And that the power goes out all the time in Summer due to storms.

I thought I knew rain coming from England, but it never rained as much as it does here.

I'll be interested to see where everyone suggests, as we've been trying to figure out where would be the perfect weather place to run away to.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

But not too moist
Good Horse-riding trails

Where would you go?
France!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Bob, have you forgotten how much it rains in summer up here? And that the power goes out all the time in Summer due to storms.

I thought I knew rain coming from England, but it never rained as much as it does here.

I'll be interested to see where everyone suggests, as we've been trying to figure out where would be the perfect weather place to run away to.
Aye, rains a load in Boston too...but it's not that bad...it's a massive blast of storms usually and then done for a while...it's a bit shitter further inland though.

The power going out when the weather farts is just a East Coast thing I think

Plus, as pricey as Portland is compared to the rest of Maine, it's still relatively affordable compared to most other big cities...
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:58 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! I just jinxed eveything.

When I came into work an hour ago it was beautiful sunshine and 75 degrees.

I looked up after typing that last post, and the sky had gone black, and now its pissing down and hail is hitting the windows, and the lights just flickered!! WTF??
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like you are describing California or Oregon - as long as you are prepared to tolerate at least some earthquakes (most of which you won't even notice) ...
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Juswus
OMG! I just jinxed eveything.

When I came into work an hour ago it was beautiful sunshine and 75 degrees.

I looked up after typing that last post, and the sky had gone black, and now its pissing down and hail is hitting the windows, and the lights just flickered!! WTF??
That was this morning for us
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

But not too moist
Good Horse-riding trails

Where would you go?
PNW.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Colorado

Hit -40 this winter so I guess that rules us out.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably go to Devon or Cornwall.
I hear it has nicer weather than the rest of the UK.

On the other hand San Diego meets most your requirements except the earthquakes and civilization parts
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

But not too moist
Good Horse-riding trails

Where would you go?
Arizona,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.