Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Big fall in the Padron

Big fall in the Padron

Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big fall in the Padron

I totally agree with HBG, in my street there is about 5 Lithuanian / Russsian families / couples, but why do you think the Ruskies do not bother with the Padron ?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I have noticed that the new Russian arrivals don't bother with the Padron or Spanish taxes, nor much of any other the other laws British expats spend so much time fretting about.
How do you know what documentation they have submitted?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
How do you know what documentation they have submitted?
Both my wife and I have had regular contact with the functionarios running the various government offices over many years and that's what they're telling us. And they've been told not to bother them.

Spain could absorb an extra couple of million Russians into their vast country without blinking an eyelid.

Perhaps an expert could come along and say whether Spain is better off with Russian rather than British immigrants.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Both my wife and I have had regular contact with the functionarios running the various government offices over many years and that's what they're telling us. And they've been told not to bother them.

Spain could absorb an extra couple of million Russians into their vast country without blinking an eyelid.

Perhaps an expert could come along and say whether Spain is better off with Russian rather than British immigrants.
Well I'm no expert on expat communities (never claimed to be) but I understand the average Russian tourist in Spain spends a lot more than that of a Brit. So probably likely that Russian expats are richer than Brit expats in Spain? Also, I suspect the Russian would be more likely to learn Spanish than a Brit expat - that's just a guess though and based on the fact that English would already be spoken (to a degree) by local businesses and few will know Russian.

Big disadvantage? If you upset the Russians, Mr Putin may come calling...

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Apr 24th 2014 at 4:58 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

It's the" mind your own business" and "live and let live attitude" that is the problem, as those who pay taxes and abide by the rules are subsidising those who don't. Why should they do whatever they like, with impunity?
Those who condone their fellow expats behaviour should remember the old saying, which is something like this:
In order for evil to flourish, it just takes good men to sit back and do nothing!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish, if they move town, will re-register on the new padrón and the town will inform their old place, who will remove their name accordingly.
The Brits of course (if they ever bothered to get on the padrón) will hardly be arsed to go up and get their name removed before leaving in a hurry for the ferry for Chipping Norton.
What happens is that the Ministry of the Interior now checks to see who has departed - the foreign foreigners every two years, the Europeans every five. They did it a couple of moths back, so these figures, wrong anyway, are for the past five years, not one.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Quite so, unfortunately there is quite a lot of green eye exhibited in various quarters and is very often so obvious on here, mainly by some of those who have burnt their bridges back in the UK, against those who kept their options open.
So what bridges are burned

Anyone who has left the UK and gone to live anywhere in the world and for any length of time is within their rights (assuming they haven't given up citizenship) to return to the UK and resume their lives.

Anyone who does return to the UK has the right to the healthcare services as before they left. Rental options are fully available to all to those who chose to sell their houses.

So what options should have been kept open?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit ironic leaving the UK cos it's rubbish and full of immigrants and then living in a street full of Russians and other East Europeans.

Actually the official figures do not back up that the Russians are very big buyers of property...way, way below the Brits and they aren't buying much either.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53

Anyone who has left the UK and gone to live anywhere in the world and for any length of time is within their rights (assuming they haven't given up citizenship) to return to the UK and resume their lives.

Anyone who does return to the UK has the right to the healthcare services as before they left. Rental options are fully available to all to those who chose to sell their houses.

It's comforting and it's true and everyone I know who has returned has done so successfully and I'm in frequent touch with many of them.

Unfortunately the horrendous fall in Spanish house prices over the past six years will prevent them from returning to the status quo when they left the UK all those years ago, the Euro in their pocket had been severely devalued against the pound Sterling.

But they'll never be on the floor because of the British benefits they will be entitled to.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:02 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's a bit ironic leaving the UK cos it's rubbish and full of immigrants and then living in a street full of Russians and other East Europeans.

I remember a British woman who moved away from an urb because she was sick of little Englanders. And was really nasty about those who liked fish and chips etc.

She sold up and moved, only to find that 6 month's later a load of gypsies moved into the two properties bordering hers.

Now she has abandoned her house and works in the UK looking after old people in their own home.

She should have stuck with the little Englanders.

Guatemala to guatapeor!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:32 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they're within their rights to return, but if they've sold up in the UK and no longer have close contacts as is the case with many, then unless they are loaded with surplus cash, it may be impossible to go back into the UK house market, most especially those who would be standing to make a huge loss on the sale of their Spanish property, if indeed they can sell it at all.

There have been countless such cases in the past few years of people once secure in the UK having either to go back cap in hand or stick it out in Spain under difficult circumstances and much reduced income to what they expected after finding that their pensions had also reduced dramatically in value to what the were during the years of much better exchange rates.
Many found themselves unable to maintain mortgage payments in Spain and simply had to walk away with nothing leaving everything they had previously to the Spanish banks and even then still possibly be deep in debt.

So maybe that helps you understand why it's not advisable to burn bridges in the UK if it's at all possible to retain a foothold there after moving to Spain.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yes, they're within their rights to return, but if they've sold up in the UK and no longer have close contacts as is the case with many, then unless they are loaded with surplus cash, it may be impossible to go back into the UK house market, most especially those who would be standing to make a huge loss on the sale of their Spanish property, if indeed they can sell it at all.

There have been countless such cases in the past few years of people once secure in the UK having either to go back cap in hand or stick it out in Spain under difficult circumstances and much reduced income to what they expected after finding that their pensions had also reduced dramatically in value to what the were during the years of much better exchange rates.
Many found themselves unable to maintain mortgage payments in Spain and simply had to walk away with nothing leaving everything they had previously to the Spanish banks and even then still possibly be deep in debt.

So maybe that helps you understand why it's not advisable to burn bridges in the UK if it's at all possible to retain a foothold there after moving to Spain.
Everybody always put the emphasis on bought and sold property in Spain. Many Brits move out to Spain, and much more so now, and rent property.

We are all learned long ago not to buy property in Spain as we all know it will never sell again.

Many people sell up in the UK for other simple reasons such as being dissatisfied with the area they presently are living and not wanting to keep a property there. Very often it's not a clean cut case.

As I previously stated, there are many, many properties in the UK for rent and at reasonable rental rates so there is always ways to regain that 'foothold' in the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
It's the" mind your own business" and "live and let live attitude" that is the problem, as those who pay taxes and abide by the rules are subsidising those who don't. Why should they do whatever they like, with impunity?
Those who condone their fellow expats behaviour should remember the old saying, which is something like this:
In order for evil to flourish, it just takes good men to sit back and do nothing!
You do not subsidise anybody, it's possible to think that way but in reality no .
Old Apr 24th 2014, 11:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

We are all learned long ago not to buy property in Spain as we all know it will never sell again.

Not really, unfortunately most did not learn a long time ago and having bought at peak prices left themselves in a no-win situation and never gave any serious thought to a possible dramatic change in the exchange rate.

Granted many are now much wiser after the crash.

However the recent UK property boom has left most hoping to buy again back in Blighty with an even bigger hurdle to climb

It probably doesn't matter quite so much now as neither the exchange rate or the house prices are likely to suffer any more really dramatic changes for the worse and buying maybe appears a tad more attractive, though unfortunately thanks to Rajoy and co. there are now new and more sinister negative factors affecting thinking.