Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Has anyone watched the truly dreadful 3 part dramatization of Jamaica Inn on the BBC? I sat through 1 1/2 episodes but had to give up due to the awful sound issues as well as the way too dark (as in not able to see any of the action) filming. I know it is a bleak setting and troubled story but for goodness sake let us both see and hear what is going on.

There were hundreds of complaints after Monday nights first part mainly in regards to the sound and the Beeb - and script writer - both said is was due to technical issues that could not be addressed during the actual showing but would be addressed for parts 2 and 3. However part 2 was no better and I couldn't finish it. I do have it on my DVR so may try to sit through it at some point - but I really doubt it.

Last edited by Lorac05; Apr 24th 2014 at 12:44 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Has anyone watched the truly dreadful 3 part dramatization of Jamaica Inn on the BBC? I sat through 1 1/2 episodes but had to give up due to the awful sound issues as well as the way too dark (as in not able to see any of the action) filming. I know it is a bleak setting and troubled story but for goodness sake let us both see and hear what is going on.

There were hundreds of complaints after Monday nights first part in regards to sound and the Beeb - and scrip writer - both said is was due to technical issues that could not be addressed during the actual showing but would be addressed for parts 2 and 3. However part 2 was no better and I couldn't finish it. I do have it on my DVR so may try to sit through it at some point - but I really doubt it.
I got 15 minutes in and gave up.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Me too and I was so excited as I love Daphne du Maurier's books. Some I could just about understand. It was not even so much the volume. Even turned up loud I just could not understand the mumblings. Gave up!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I watched a program today that really shows how money does talk. If you can find it in the UK its called "You've Been Trumped". It a documentary about Donald Trump wanting to build a golf course on some prestine Sand Dunes outside of Aberdeen. I could not believe how corrupt people become when money comes into the picture.

The end to the story is that Donald got his way and was able to build his golf course but he was waiting for the Scottish Government to change their minds regarding a Wind Farm to be built off the coast and in plain view of the golf course. He said if he lost the case he would not build the hotel, he lost the case and set his sights on Ireland. That one man could do what he did and get away with it astonished me. Well not really I think money is ruining many parts of the World. Down South its the rich buying up homes in villages and just renting them out in the Summer and having them empty in the Winter. I saw a program on that. I really should stop watching these documentaries they raise my blood pressure......
There is a follow up film this year. Not sure of the name or when it is due to come out. BTW, I found the film on netflix US about a year ago. Check the UK netflix.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
Me too and I was so excited as I love Daphne du Maurier's books. Some I could just about understand. It was not even so much the volume. Even turned up loud I just could not understand the mumblings. Gave up!
Same! Between the mumbling and the dark interiors, I found myself squinting and straining to hear way too much for comfort.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I recorded Jamaica Inn but haven't watched it yet. As my PVR is at about 95% capacity, I may just delete it! It has got a right panning in the media.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see it but if the segments shown on the news reports about the complaints were anything to go by, its no wonder people were up in arms. Having said that, however, I don't think sound is the only issue - lighting is terrible and this seems to be an ever increasing problem not just with BBC but ITV also. It seems like you need a hearing aid and night vision goggles for just about anything these days and I don't think I'm that far over the hill yet.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
It seems like you need a hearing aid and night vision goggles for just about anything these days and I don't think I'm that far over the hill yet.

Here's an article on the many complaints received:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/24/jamaic...n-end-4707741/
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I've been enjoying the BBC2 show 'Under Offer: Estate Agents on the Job' - a fly on the wall around estate agents.

It's pretty vacuous, but easy watching for some light entertainment - the star of the show is a young chap that works in Exeter.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I've been enjoying the BBC2 show 'Under Offer: Estate Agents on the Job' - a fly on the wall around estate agents.

It's pretty vacuous, but easy watching for some light entertainment - the star of the show is a young chap that works in Exeter.
The Call Centre is another amusing, vacuous fly on the wall documentary series. There are some right characters.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The Call Centre is another amusing, vacuous fly on the wall documentary series. There are some right characters.
I think that's BBC 2 as well? They do seem to do these light weight things quite well... the estate agent show is on in the same slot that had a similar show about council planning departments and that was funny too... plenty of 'nimbys' in that one
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:28 am
Ping-ponger

Two interesting new dramas coming up this week:

Hinterland (Welsh drama, previously only shown in Wales, I think)- Monday

Happy Valley - by Sally Wainwright of Last Tango in Halifax fame. - Tuesday
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Plus a new series of Vera this evening and Monday there is a new drama starring John Simm called Prey.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Plus a new series of Vera this evening and Monday there is a new drama starring John Simm called Prey.

Just finished setting these up to record. Looking forward to seeing all of them
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:49 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the gardeners, wildlife and countryside enthusiasts, here is the latest update from Gardeners' World

Springwatch returns in late May on BBC2

The Big Allotment Challenge, Tues @ 8.00 pm BBC2

Natural World, 9 May @ 9.00 BBC2

Love Your Garden with Alan Titchmarsh (Garden makeovers) Coming soon to ITV

Living World, starts 27 April, 6.35 am on BBC Radio4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.