UK driving licence

Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licence

Originally Posted by lf1
You can drive using your Cdn lic for 12 mths, from the date of your return. It takes less than two weeks for the DVLA to exchange your lic. I just copied my Ab lic and carried that and my exchange application form in my bag, just in case I was questioned. I heard from a friend that you have to wait 6 months before exchanging your lic. I don't know if that is the case as I exchanged mine around about 11 months after my return.
Thx. I think I'll give the driving license centre a call tomorrow and get this clarified.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can't exchange your CDN license for a UK one until 6 months after arrival but you can continue to drive an automatic car during that time. After 6 months and before 12 months you can exchange your CDN license for a UK license. I think it's £50. While you exchange it, drivers in the UK (so I understand) are not legally required to carry their drivers license while driving so if you get pulled over during those 2 weeks while you're exchanging your license, I guess it's not a big deal. Seems odd but...
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:26 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

So even if you previously held a UK licence and had to exchange it for a Canadian one you still have to wait 6 months? How does this impact on getting insurance, will UK insurers accept a Canadian licence as equivalent? Confused.....
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
So even if you previously held a UK licence and had to exchange it for a Canadian one you still have to wait 6 months? How does this impact on getting insurance, will UK insurers accept a Canadian licence as equivalent? Confused.....
My DH previously had a UK license but realized it expired when we moved back a few months ago. (Not sure why it wasn't exchanged when he went back to Canada). He just sent it away and exchanged it for a new one with photos and got it back within 2 weeks. We had already bought a car and it was insured here, with discounts based on his Canadian driving history (from ICBC). I'm listed on the insurance with my CDN license and will exchange for a UK license in a few months.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

If you're applying for a replacement of your previous licence, you're not exchanging so can do it straight away I believe. If you exchange a Canadian licence, you have to wait, and you can also only drive automatics on your new licence. When I inquired though, they did say they would want the Ontario licence that I'd exchanged my British one for when I moved here.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How is it illegal? Your husband no longer has his licence and he doesn't know where it is. All in likelihood it has been destroyed by the Canadian authorities. If you're worried about the correct procedure why not ring the DVLA and ask then?
License swapping agreements mandate that the issuing authority is returned the license when a new one is issued in the other country.

Canadian authorities returned his license to DVLA (when they swapped it for a Canadian one) and DVLA has this in their records.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

FaeLLe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDNtoUK
You can't exchange your CDN license for a UK one until 6 months after arrival but you can continue to drive an automatic car during that time.
Exchanged my license for a full UK driving license on the second month of returning to the UK... Technically they require you to be resident (hence the 6 month advisory period).