Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Questions about South African Temporary Residence Permits

Questions about South African Temporary Residence Permits

Old May 20th 2011, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Suloak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about South African Temporary Residence Permits

I've been going through a lot of posts to see if anyone else has similar questions and saw the dha.gov.za link being posted. I've perused the webpage and still have some questions.

First, some background:
My husband is British, I'm South African. I've been living with him in England for two years now and want to get back home because of a chronic case of homesickness and other health issues. He's all for moving as he completely enjoyed South Africa when he was there.

From what we can see on various websites, he can apply for a temporary residence permit, the relative's permit as he is my spouse.

We're quite a few hours away from London, which seems to be the city that contains the SA Embassy/Consulate/High Commision. Quite frankly, I don't know the differences. Now my first question would be this:
Do we need to gather all the necessary documents and take them down to London to hand it in personally? Or can we post it all to them?

I've looked at another website, southafricahouseuk. On their Temporary Residence Permit page, they say the processing fee is £35. But the Relative Permit page (which I assume is just a sub-category of Temporary Residence?) says that it's free for a spouse of a South African resident.
What is really the cost of this endeavour, then?

Thanks in advance for any help and answers.
Old May 20th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about South African Temporary Residence Permits

Originally Posted by Suloak
We're quite a few hours away from London, which seems to be the city that contains the SA Embassy/Consulate/High Commision. Quite frankly, I don't know the differences. Now my first question would be this:
Do we need to gather all the necessary documents and take them down to London to hand it in personally? Or can we post it all to them?

I've looked at another website, southafricahouseuk.
South Africa House (southafricahouseuk that you mention) is the South African High Commission in the UK.

A High Commission means that the country concerned is a member of the British Commonwealth. If not, it is called an Embassy. A Consulate is a sub-office.

Have fun.
Old May 20th 2011, 11:30 am
Account Closed

JoachimS is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been going through a lot of posts to see if anyone else has similar questions and saw the dha.gov.za link being posted. I've perused the webpage and still have some questions.

First, some background:
My husband is British, I'm South African. I've been living with him in England for two years now and want to get back home because of a chronic case of homesickness and other health issues. He's all for moving as he completely enjoyed South Africa when he was there.

From what we can see on various websites, he can apply for a temporary residence permit, the relative's permit as he is my spouse.

I've looked at another website, southafricahouseuk. On their Temporary Residence Permit page, they say the processing fee is £35. But the Relative Permit page (which I assume is just a sub-category of Temporary Residence?) says that it's free for a spouse of a South African resident.
What is really the cost of this endeavour, then?

Thanks in advance for any help and answers.
Hi

The Relatives Permit is issued to a foreign national related (or married) to a South African citizen or permanent resident holder. Please note though, that your husband will not be able to work on the Relatives Permit as provided under to S18(2) of the immigration Act.

However, once in South Africa, he may apply for a Spousal Permit, to which either a work or business endorsement can be added (referring to S11(6) of the Immigration Act).

As he will be applying for a Relatives Permit based on your marriage (and seeing that you are a South African) there will be no application fee.

You will be able to post your application, but it will need to include your passport.

Once you have been married for 5 years, he can also apply for Permanent Residency.

Hope this helps.
Old May 20th 2011, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
South Africa House (southafricahouseuk that you mention) is the South African High Commission in the UK.

A High Commission means that the country concerned is a member of the British Commonwealth. If not, it is called an Embassy. A Consulate is a sub-office.

Have fun.
It's just across the road from Trafalgar Square on the corner of The Strand.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pablo
Oh, so "High Commission" is because of the British Commonwealth! I understand that a bit better now.

Originally Posted by JoachimS
However, once in South Africa, he may apply for a Spousal Permit, to which either a work or business endorsement can be added (referring to S11(6) of the Immigration Act).
I didn't know this, thanks for the information. I guess that can be done at Home Affairs. But I'm running ahead of myself now, we haven't even sent the documents yet.

Originally Posted by JoachimS
As he will be applying for a Relatives Permit based on your marriage (and seeing that you are a South African) there will be no application fee.

You will be able to post your application, but it will need to include your passport.
That's good news, it's one less thing to worry about. And I'm happy we can send the documents.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It's just across the road from Trafalgar Square on the corner of The Strand.
I've never been to London, so I'm not sure where all of those places are. I'll remember this for if we need to go to London for any reason.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

tekman is on a distinguished road

Hi I recently went through this process as I am an Englishman married to South African lady.
For starters be warned the BI-1738 form doesn't contain all the information required re support documentation.
You will need as stated in the form for your husband
BI-811 medical certificate signed by his doctor
BI-806 Radiological form - Have to pay for Xray for emmigration purpose. Found that Hillingdon Hospital in London would do it not many others would. don't go private or it will cost a fortune. I paid £70 for mine.
A copy of your marriage certificate certified by a notary or easier still a solicitor shouldn't cost more than a fiver.
Two identical passport photos
Certified copy of passport (again use a solicitor)
A letter of support from you stating that you wholly support your husbands application for a relatives permit.
Police report certificate £35
certified copy of your South African ID .
That's it as far as I remember. I've attached a form fillable version of the BI-1738 which is what I used and you need to send it in to Home Affairs in Whitehall.

Reason I used this fillable version which I enabled was to ensure clarity of text and Home affairs were shocked when I took the form in because they couldn't find any errors in it

15 Whitehall,
London,
SW1A 2DD.
Tel: 020 7925 8900/01/10
Fax: 020 7925 8930/31/32
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BI-1738 digiFill.pdf (1.10 MB, 850 views)
Old May 27th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the advice and fillable application form, Tekman! This information will come in very handy. And I wish you all the best in your move to sunny SA.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Your most welcome good luck with the application oh and it takes about one month to process and the Visa once issued has to be collected in person by your husband between 10am and 12pm at the whitehall address he will need to take his passport along with him for verification purposes
Old May 28th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tekman
he will need to take his passport along with him for verification purposes
Hmm... As far as I can understand from the southafricahouseuk website, he needs to send his passport to them with his application and such. So he won't be able to take his passport with him when collecting for verification. Seems like a catch 22 to me. Did you send them your passport with your application or was it not necessary?
Old May 29th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm... As far as I can understand from the southafricahouseuk website, he needs to send his passport to them with his application and such. So he won't be able to take his passport with him when collecting for verification. Seems like a catch 22 to me. Did you send them your passport with your application or was it not necessary?
Sure if he can't get up to take his passport and application in person then yes he will post his passport with his application (registered post) and they will keep the passport and return by registered post (as long as you pay the costs).
As a passport is such a valuable document I wasn't prepared to post mine therefore I made the trips but I live in London at present so I guess it was easier for me.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

aanitahir is an unknown quantity at this point

I am applying to spousal relative permit but I also want to add all my academic credential my IELTS and SAQA evaluation with my application as I have done this evaluation to workin in South Africa. I am Biological Scientist. Any suggestions ? could all these documents worth for my application decision? My husband is south african citizen and we have 2.5 years old daughter.