Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Garfield2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Just an FYI for anyone with an old certificate and no time to get a new one before interview, I've just been approved, 11th July, with an old style police certificate. I didn't discover there was a new one until it was too late and had to take my chances; although I did order a new one in case I was given a provisional acceptance subject to the new document. So if you have an old one with an interview coming fast and are worried, cover your options by ordering one, but you may still be OK if it doesn't arrive in time. I believe that the old ones will definately be no good after the 11th of August.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

burrenbabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Originally Posted by meauxna
A friend from another board, who reads UK specific reports from around and about says "I have been reading reports of people at London being given 'conditional approvals' pending the submission of the new police certificate..so although the website says the old ones are being accepted until August that information cannot be relied on."

Nothing official, but proceed with caution if you are on a deadline for getting to the US. If you are 'conditionally approved' your visa will simply be held until you get them the missing document.
This was exactly the case for me - I knew nothing about the new police cert and assumed that having obtained the SAR and submitted it with all other documents that I couln't or wouldn't be expected to update with newer versions of any document - how wrong I was! I am about to post my visa experince but thought I would reply to this for the benefit of those who posted in this thread!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfield2012
I believe that the old ones will definately be no good after the 11th of August.

Since this is old news now, it's time to un-pin this thread, I think. Is there anything from here that anyone wants to grab for the wiki or elsewhere?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Oh man when did this happen?

I sent off for the £10 access request just LAST WEEK. I got a response yesterday saying to expect the certificate within 40 days.

Does anyone know for sure whether the "old" access request will be acceptable to the consulate for the visa process or not?

If we are unsure, does anyone know if you can have the old and new processes going simultaneously? I don't care about the £35, I just want a certificate that works for the purpose of the visa.

{Edit} In addition, the form asks for a date for travel? What's that about? How are you supposed to commit yourself to a date when your visa hasn't even been issued! Madness!
For those who require a Police Certificate for Interview ( UK side ) DO require the New ACPO Police Cert if they have lived in UK for more than a year. I got the old one (£10) done back in January and then a couple months later i found out they needed the New Cert ( £35 ) so i sent away and got the new one It only took 5 days for me to receieve it Actually i ordered 2 because it was only £5 more to get a second copy and though i might as well have it, glad i did cause I sent one to NVC with my Paperwork and i have one to take to the Embassy in London

Hope this info helps
Michelle
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

chrisncarla will become famous soon enoughchrisncarla will become famous soon enough

we have just applied for the police certificate, does any one know how long it takes to receive it, Their web site says 10 days??
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll probably get it in about a week.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Maiba will become famous soon enoughMaiba will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Oh man when did this happen?

I sent off for the £10 access request just LAST WEEK. I got a response yesterday saying to expect the certificate within 40 days.

Does anyone know for sure whether the "old" access request will be acceptable to the consulate for the visa process or not?

If we are unsure, does anyone know if you can have the old and new processes going simultaneously? I don't care about the £35, I just want a certificate that works for the purpose of the visa.

{Edit} In addition, the form asks for a date for travel? What's that about? How are you supposed to commit yourself to a date when your visa hasn't even been issued! Madness!
Hello everyone

I got my 35 GBP Certificate about 4 weeks ago, took a week in total, so you do get value for money .
Of course I didn't like spending that much money, but think of all the poor people who lived abroad and need certificates from there as well. In my case, I needed a German cert, had to pay GBP 100 for a notarised public to confirm I am who I claim to be, and then pay another 62 GBP for a certified translation of my German Police Cert.
35 Pounds is a bargain!!!

Kind regards

Diana
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

DATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really niceDATHI2003 is just really nice

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I can't see that this has been posted before but apologies if it has.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The cost has gone up to £35 too.
I'm just sending off for a police cert from the Irish police and its free and I don't need to send all the stuff that the UK police require..But since I have lived in the UK for the last 20 years,I have to cough up £35 and fill out forms..but on the upside I got a request for my medical today.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Interesting question! I'd say that on your time line you are likely to need one of these. But ACPO covers only England, Wales and NI! It's an ill-thought-out balls-up by the look of it -- and you're going to fall right in to the middle of it.
Oh I just sent my £35 P.O. off yesturday for this, and I live in Scotland

Does anyone know what police certificate I need? for living in Scotland?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig73
The regular ACPO one.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The regular ACPO one.
Good lol, thank you
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig73
Oh I just sent my £35 P.O. off yesturday for this, and I live in Scotland

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom (still includes Scotland, right?), there is only one type of police check to get: the ACPO one.

I'm going to lock this thread now since the crisis of timing it discussed is long over.

There is only one police check, even if you're Scottish. Get the ACPO.

I refer you to the wiki entry for more details: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Police_Certificates