Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Music for trendy teenagers.

Music for trendy teenagers.

Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Music for trendy teenagers.

Calling all you music lovers.

I am going to have a music lesson at school one week. The students will have the printed lyrics to the songs but there will be lots of gaps that they have to fill in whilst listening to the songs.

I haven't watched MTV for ages and although I know singers like Lady Gaga are very big right now, she's no good. I'm not explaining to classes full of hormonal kids what "huffin with my muffin" and "vertical stick" means. Neither do I want a class full of kids singing "your sex is on fire" by Kings of Leon.

One song I used sucessfully in the past was Ironic by Alanis Morissette but I'd like something more recent as well.

1. It has to be clear and easy enough to get the missing words. No mumbling and no songs where the music is louder than the lyrics.

2. It has to make some kind of 'normal' sense. Nothing too 'out there' that only makes sense to the songwriter.
Old Sinatra and Phil Collins etc. had clear and sensible lyrics but I think they're a bit old hat for today's teens.

3. Nothing explicit or too sexual.

4. Better if it's a "proper" song with verses and a chorus and not just a mixup and rehash of the same lines over and over again.

5. It must be something that I can listen to about 24 times in one week without pulling my hair out.

I quite like Viva la Vida by Coldplay but I'm not sure if all the words are clear enough for them to get.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Music for trendy teenagers.

It's just hit me.
I'm 40!

Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Could the Beatles work?? I know it's not necessarily trendy but everyone here seems to think the Beatles songs are amazing.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

or maybe the Arctic Monkeys?? (I can only really give you stuff I like!!) some of their songs are easy to understand.

One of my Italian friends is a bit of an old Metaller and he told me he learnt English to translate Iron Maiden's lyrics.... and then wished he hadn't because he realised they were shite!!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by indiebird
Could the Beatles work?? I know it's not necessarily trendy but everyone here seems to think the Beatles songs are amazing.....
Some of them probably could but I'm not doing "Yesterday" 24 times.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:49 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

During my teacher training we used Bob Marley. Why does it have to be contemporary music? Can't it be the music that you like, so that you can introduce a new generation to some classic songs.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by duffer
During my teacher training we used Bob Marley. Why does it have to be contemporary music? Can't it be the music that you like, so that you can introduce a new generation to some classic songs.
It doesn't have to be contemporary. I just thought it might be nice to use a group/singer that they might be familiar with but not know the lyrics.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:12 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Play them Cat Stevens FFS!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:16 pm

If I had to lisen to Father & Son 24 times, not only would I be pulling my hair out but possibly self harming as well. Clear lyrics though.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I'm with you use where do the children play?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Two Little boys Rolf Harris ..snigger
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
Two Little boys Rolf Harris ..snigger
I hope Lorna's not on the top floor of the building... she'll probably chuck herself out of the window!!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure any of us are 'down with the kids' are we.... what about something by Lily Allen?? Maybe not the one they play on the radio with F**k in it though.....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure any of us are 'down with the kids' are we.... what about something by Lily Allen?? Maybe not the one they play on the radio with F**k in it though.....
Big Girl you are beautiful by what's his name... Clever lyrics

MIKA.... see I remembered

Last edited by Pecora Nera; Feb 15th 2011 at 7:27 pm. Reason: remembered what's his name
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:28 pm

I'm pretty damn sure that the kids would love it if I used "F**k You" in the classroom. It's a clear sung song with a definite meaning ...... but I'm pretty sure the regular teacher would hate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.