Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving in ontario?

Driving in ontario?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Newbie_Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in ontario?

Hello, I have just moved over to Canada from England and I'm looking at getting a car. My girlfriend is Canadian and is insured on her own policy. I was wondering if I can drive her car with her permission? I have read somewhere that insurance in Canada is on the car not the owner? Also as the driving schools are on strike does anyone know if I’m able to use my UK licence past the 3 months your entitled to from landing?

Thanks,

Lee
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:31 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in ontario?

How long have you had your UK license? You should be able to exchange it for an Ontario one (minimum of a G2).

When you say strike - are the Drive Test Centre's closed?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G77
How long have you had your UK license? You should be able to exchange it for an Ontario one (minimum of a G2).

When you say strike - are the Drive Test Centre's closed?
I have been driving for 9 years with 6 years NCB.

The whole on Ontario Driving schools are on strike. No one is able to get a new licence or upgrade/change there licence. Its a pain
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:13 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newbie_Lee

The whole on Ontario Driving schools are on strike. No one is able to get a new licence or upgrade/change there licence. Its a pain
Yikes - guess they can't really complain if you get stopped then.... Good news is that it'll be a straight swap when they open again.

Not sure if you can drive your g/f's car - she should ask her insurance co...
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Driving schools are not on strike it's the examiners. You can still learn to drive, just can't take the test.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I have just moved over to Canada from England and I'm looking at getting a car. My girlfriend is Canadian and is insured on her own policy. I was wondering if I can drive her car with her permission?

Yes, that's fine, but if you crash, her premiums are going to suffer

I have read somewhere that insurance in Canada is on the car not the owner?
Yes and No, its the driver, but they are insured for all vehicles at that address (unless excluded, as in teens and daddys corvette etc), but they assume all risk if they lend a vehicle to someone else AFAIK

Also as the driving schools are on strike does anyone know if I’m able to use my UK licence past the 3 months your entitled to from landing?

Thanks,

Lee
The drive test center action is not totally comprehensive, you may be able to exchange your license (assuming you meet the criteria) as an actual test is not required. It just might take longer than usual standing in line.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/home.aspx

The ministries position is here...you may be able to swap at a the DVLO office anyway?

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tatement.shtml

Last edited by iaink; Sep 30th 2009 at 12:56 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:54 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

My girlfriend is Canadian and is insured on her own policy. I was wondering if I can drive her car with her permission? I have read somewhere that insurance in Canada is on the car not the owner?
My understanding is however that in the case of spouse they have to be named on the policy (it may also apply to family members at the same address - I dont know). I think it is assumed that they will be more than an occasional driver and it is to avoid someone with a terrible driving/accident record essentially getting insurance in their spouse's name instead of their own.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, Best to check with her insurer. If you are a "visitor" its OK, but if you are resident at the same address then its perhaps potentially dodgy.

If you are getting a car then you are going to have to bite the insurance bullet sooner or later any way. Its a while ago now, but I was insured on my UK License initially when I first arrived... back in the days when there was no swap.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Just a quick update for people who have just moved to Canada and want a licence. I finally managed to speak to someone helpfull yesterday. I found out if I go to service Ontario I can exchange my licence even though all the driving centers are on strike. It costs $75 for a full G licence.

Would anyone happen to know what will happen when I go back to the UK and want my UK licence back? Could I be cheeky and contact the DVLA and say I "Lost my UK licence card" or will Canada contact the DVLA as they keept hold of my photo card? Also will I loose all my no claims discounts I managed to save up in the UK?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:29 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine if you go back to the UK you should be able to exchange your Ontario drivers licence for a UK one. My understanding was that they (DVLA) will be contacted by the MTO an notified you have exchanged your UK licence, thus if you try the "I've lost my licence" deal, the DVLA might suspect you are telling porkies.

In regards to No Claims Bonus being used in Canada, I think it depends on the company. When I went for insurance via ING in 2003 they didn't give a stuff about my NCB at all. I had a letter from the insurance company stating my record with them in the UK, but it made no difference at all.
Things may have changed now anyway.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:30 pm
MSM
Forum Regular

MSM will become famous soon enough

Just a quick update for people who have just moved to Canada and want a licence. I finally managed to speak to someone helpfull yesterday. I found out if I go to service Ontario I can exchange my licence even though all the driving centers are on strike. It costs $75 for a full G licence.

Would anyone happen to know what will happen when I go back to the UK and want my UK licence back? Could I be cheeky and contact the DVLA and say I "Lost my UK licence card" or will Canada contact the DVLA as they keept hold of my photo card? Also will I loose all my no claims discounts I managed to save up in the UK?

Thanks again.
Hi Newbie_Lee,

Did you manage to get your licence exchanged? I moved here last month and have been waiting for the strike to end to get a licence and meantime having to rely on relatives.

It'd be fantastic to get a licence even though strike is still on. Please confirm if got yours and where exactly. I'm based in Brampton. Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Thanks again.
You would not be the first to do that BEFORE swapping for the Ontario license in order to get a good copy

Originally Posted by sharkus
I would imagine if you go back to the UK you should be able to exchange your Ontario drivers licence for a UK one.
Without the old one for reference the DVLA may issue an Auto only license, given that ontario licenses do not specify,and they err on the side of caution.

If you can provide proof you passed the UK manual test, then its a non issue I think.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MSM
Hi Newbie_Lee,

Did you manage to get your licence exchanged? I moved here last month and have been waiting for the strike to end to get a licence and meantime having to rely on relatives.

It'd be fantastic to get a licence even though strike is still on. Please confirm if got yours and where exactly. I'm based in Brampton. Thanks
H MSMi, Your be very glad to know that you can change your licence! I spend two months thinking I couldnt change it until the driving schools come back to work. You need to go to service Ontario and they will exchange your licence for $75 there and then. (Just a basic eye test). Hope this helps.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:05 pm
MSM
Forum Regular

H MSMi, Your be very glad to know that you can change your licence! I spend two months thinking I couldnt change it until the driving schools come back to work. You need to go to service Ontario and they will exchange your licence for $75 there and then. (Just a basic eye test). Hope this helps.
Hi Newbie_Lee,

I called a couple of different service ontario offices and they both said I needed to wait until strike is over before exchanging licence. Can I ask which office you went to and what you said? Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I am hoping to go today or Monday.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:52 pm
MSM
Forum Regular

Newbie_Lee,

Thanks, I owe you a drink! Got my licence ........ no more waiting ......... gonna get a car asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.