Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easter in QLD: 92 drivers charged with drink driving in 2 days

Easter in QLD: 92 drivers charged with drink driving in 2 days

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easter in QLD: 92 drivers charged with drink driving in 2 days

I wonder what the stats are for those caught drink driving 'the morning after'?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I'd hate to be on the road with any driver who was just below these limits!

The limit in Australia is 0.05, not 0.5!
ooops, I missed out a '0' everywhere!!

.05 and .08

I read somewhere about blood alcohol levels these figures

a 100lb (45kg) person (American data) with 2 x 12 fl oz (350ml) beer would be about .065 (Sober in UK, drunk in Australia)

a 180lb (81kg) person (American data) with 2 x 12 fl oz (350ml) beer would be about .036 (Sober in both UK and Australia)

a 180lb (81kg) person (American data) with 4 x 12 fl oz (350ml) beer would be about .072 (Sober in UK, drunk in Australia)
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I'd hate to be on the road with any driver who was just below these limits!

The limit in Australia is 0.05, not 0.5!
Yes that's correct. Hopefully we don't have many dyslexic police doing these readings.

The DUI conviction seems to be a badge of honor by many over here. In Ireland it's seen with great shame. It doesn't seem to bring the numbers down. But I think there should be more education on it. The Ads back home seem to do a great job as they focused more on the damage caused than, what I only seem to see here which is based on how easy it is to get caught. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Drink Driving adverts

This one, pushing the word IDIOT, associated with drink driving, is the one I most remember.

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
Easter Road Safety Campaign (phase two)

The Easter Road Safety Campaign (phase two) has commenced with extra police enforcing the Fatal Five across Queensland roads.

More than 90 drivers were charged with drink driving, while more than 4,200 drivers were detected speeding across the state. (3,086 were Speed Camera Detections)

The highest speed detected was a vehicle travelling at 143km/hour (90mph) in a 80km/hour (50mph) zone in Sheldon.

16,909 Random Breath Tests Performed
92 resulted in Drink Driving charges

79 Roadside Drug Tests Performed
9 Drug Driving Roadside positive tests (yet to be analysed)

183.79 --- to 1 ..DUI

8.77-------- to 1 ..DDI

Ostrich syndrome (or mayhap Emu) or just don't want the paperwork and an inconvenient truth ?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Drink Driving adverts

http://files.coloribus.com/files/ads...mall-24366.jpg

This one, pushing the word IDIOT, associated with drink driving, is the one I most remember.

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/ass.../morespeed.png

http://files.coloribus.com/files/ads...mall-11516.jpg
Fair enough. I must have missed those. I only recall the RBT ads telling me that I need a plan b. As if plan A should always have been to drink and drive
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BASHO
183.79 --- to 1 ..DUI

8.77-------- to 1 ..DDI

Ostrich syndrome (or mayhap Emu) or just don't want the paperwork and an inconvenient truth ?
Drug driving seems more common than drink driving. Although, the police may target drug tests for specific people, rather than random, as in the RBT test.

Drug Driving in Victoria..

In the last five years approximately 37% of all drivers and motorcyclists killed had drugs in their system, with cannabis and stimulants the most common substances detected.

About 21% of drivers and motorcyclists killed in 2012 tested positive to THC, the active component of cannabis, or stimulant/amphetamine type drugs such as ecstasy and speed.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Fair enough. I must have missed those. I only recall the RBT ads telling me that I need a plan b. As if plan A should always have been to drink and drive
Plan A: You didn't mean to drink, but one thing led to another and now you're probably over the limit.

Still thinking of driving home? Think again. Apart from the fact that could end in disaster, the number of mobile RBT out there means you need a Plan B!

Plan B: visit transportnsw.info or call 131 500 TTY 1800 637 500 for "Public Transport"
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Drug driving seems more common than drink driving. Although, the police may target drug tests for specific people, rather than random, as in the RBT test.

Drug Driving in Victoria..

In the last five years approximately 37% of all drivers and motorcyclists killed had drugs in their system, with cannabis and stimulants the most common substances detected.

About 21% of drivers and motorcyclists killed in 2012 tested positive to THC, the active component of cannabis, or stimulant/amphetamine type drugs such as ecstasy and speed.
Well actually those figures don't tell us the reason for the fatalities, just that they had consumed illegal drugs. Not condoning the use of drugs, just that the figures don't really mean much without other facts.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Plan A: You didn't mean to drink, but one thing led to another and now you're probably over the limit.

Still thinking of driving home? Think again. Apart from the fact that could end in disaster, the number of mobile RBT out there means you need a Plan B!

Plan B: visit transportnsw.info or call 131 500 TTY 1800 637 500 for "Public Transport"
Yes, I was joking about the plan a bit.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Herein lies part of the problem - the public transport system really doesn't cater well for people who want to go out and have a few beers. The trains finish pretty early, the night buses are irregular and unreliable, and it's hard enough to get a taxi in Sydney Metro, so I dread to think what it's like out in the suburbs. Perhaps it's time for the NSW government to release some more taxi licences - though I suspect that would irritate their paymasters at Macquarie Bank, who appears to be the majority holder of most NSW taxi licences.

Another problem I would suggest is weekend parking restrictions - The street I live on is restricted to one hour from 08:00 - 22:00, 7 days a week. So if I have friends over for some beers of an evening, and they can catch the train home, then visitors will still be reluctant to leave their car there and have to get up at 07:early to head back and get their car.

While I accept that it's not an excuse for drinking and driving, I can understand the temptation to say "I've only had a couple - I'll be OK tonight..."

S
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Well actually those figures don't tell us the reason for the fatalities, just that they had consumed illegal drugs. Not condoning the use of drugs, just that the figures don't really mean much without other facts.
Apart from the fact that they're dead ???

just to stay on topic.

Last edited by BASHO; Apr 24th 2014 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BASHO
Apart from the fact that they're dead ???

just to stay on topic.
And the number of fatalities is the important figure. The fact they had consumed drugs is the irrelevant fact if there is no proof the drug taking had a part to play in the deaths.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Easter driving was better in Queensland in 2014, compared to 2013.

25% less fatalities
30% less Injury Traffic Incidents
39% Less Injuries

But a 21% increase on Speed Camera detected offences

and a massive increase on initial results of Drug Driving Roadside positive tests.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...ving-stats.jpg
I was listening to the fatalities for the Easter break & one of those three fell from his mountain bike in the middle of a state forest. Nothing to do with a road traffic fatality but still included in the figures.