Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

Hi - I am going to be applying for my USC soon, and will be keeping my UK passport (and citizenship). Is there anything I need to do (or not do) as i go through the USC process, or after I become a USC? As mentioned, I would like to keep my UK passport/citizenship
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I need to do when I obtain US citizenship?

Read the USCIS Guide to Naturalization.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by BigK
Is there anything I need to do (or not do) as i go through the USC process, or after I become a USC?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

After you become a U.S. citizen you need to update your status with Social Security. This is important.

If you want to travel, get a U.S. passport. A passport is also evidence of citizenship so is useful anyway. A passport card also serves as evidence of U.S. citizenship, so get one of these at the same time.

Depending on state, you may need to tell the Bureau of Motor Vehicles that you're a U.S. citizen.

If you have children who become U.S. citizens based on your naturalization, you should apply for them to get U.S. passports. It is also strongly recommended to get them U.S. citizenship certificates straight away (using form N-600).
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping your British citizenship is not a problem. Assuming you were born British, it is quite difficult to get rid of it even if you did want to. That said, once you become a USC, DO NOT try to enter the US on your British passport, also you will be obligated to file an annual tax return to the IRS no matter where in the world you live.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 8th 2013 at 5:36 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Also try to stay out of trouble with the law. Try to avoid any traffic citations e.g. speeding tickets.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jeffery and JAJ. I am very familiar with the US process and all the things you outlined. My question was if I need to do anything regarding my UK passport and citizenship once I become a USC. I would like to keep it of course (dual) but wondering if there are any formalities.

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned - notify Social Security, get passport and register to vote are the three things that follow naturalisation (though I haven't got my passport yet ).

Other than that, not much really. You can renew your UK passport out here and enjoy the benefits of dual citizenship when traveling there for a visit, provided you always use your US passport to exit and re-enter the US, of course.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cross your fingers during the oath ceremony bit.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I would like to keep it of course (dual) but wondering if there are any formalities. .....
None whatsoever, the British government doesn't care. It would only become an issue if you were arrested or charged with a crime in the US and tried to obtain consular assistance from the British embassy.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Awesome, that's what I thought. We already file taxes here, live here permanently so no issues complying with the law here.

We do travel to the UK each year, so will be sure to use the right passport in the right place
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, that's what I thought. We already file taxes here, live here permanently so no issues complying with the law here.

We do travel to the UK each year, so will be sure to use the right passport in the right place
The main point about tickets and that was that they all have to be mentioned on the N-400 (no matter how minor), with backup. It's a pain in the arse. I had two 4-year old traffic citations that I had to go to the courthouse and get paperwork for on mine.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, OK, that wasn't clear.

With regard to your UK passport, you need to keep renewing it each time it expires.

I don't know what your obligations are as a UK citizen, but whatever they are keep meeting them after you obtain US citizenship because you will still be a UK citizen.

Regards, JEff

My question was if I need to do anything regarding my UK passport and citizenship once I become a USC.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Also try to stay out of trouble with the law. Try to avoid any traffic citations e.g. speeding tickets.
Actually, if anything, "staying out of trouble with the law" becomes even less of an issue (at least from the immigration perspective) once the OP becomes a US citizen.

"Normal" moving violations such as speeding tickets (as opposed to convictions for vehicular manslaughter etc) really aren't an issue at any time.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
..... With regard to your UK passport, you need to keep renewing it each time it expires.
No, he does not need to, that is entirely voluntary.
..... I don't know what your obligations are as a UK citizen, but whatever they are keep meeting them ....
There aren't any, see above. ... Unless he holds British investments, in which case he has to pay British taxes, but that is true whether or not he is a British citizen.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:11 pm

Self-imposed need - he did write "I would like to keep my UK passport/citizenship".
Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, he does not need to, that is entirely voluntary.
Well then, it won't be very difficult for him, will it?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
There aren't any, see above. ...
The intent of my post was to point out the obvious. Guess I failed.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.