Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Ireland faces new wave of emigration

Ireland faces new wave of emigration

Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:01 am
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all
Default Ireland faces new wave of emigration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16305048
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ireland faces new wave of emigration

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis
The younger sisters of two of my daughter's friends have both gone to the UK recently, one a qualified midwife, the other a speech therapist. Neither of them could find work in their field in Ireland after qualifying. This is from a small village in West Cork. I know from friends that there are many more, already gone or about to go. Sad really.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 2:04 pm
Banned

Joe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to allJoe-Soap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snoopycat
The younger sisters of two of my daughter's friends have both gone to the UK recently, one a qualified midwife, the other a speech therapist. Neither of them could find work in their field in Ireland after qualifying. This is from a small village in West Cork. I know from friends that there are many more, already gone or about to go. Sad really.
Sad indeed. It is a sign of the times that there are jobs in Ireland. I have a cousin and friend that both emigrated to Australia. They both got jobs within a month of emigrating. Currently the unemployment rates are 5% in Australia and 15% in Ireland respectively. Ireland is now experiencing the same brain drain it did in the 1980's as many young graduates leave in search of employment. The sad thing is that when many of their 2 year visas expire and they return home, they will not be eligible to claim social welfare in Ireland due to the Habitual Residence Condition.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad indeed. It is a sign of the times that there are jobs in Ireland. I have a cousin and friend that both emigrated to Australia. They both got jobs within a month of emigrating. Currently the unemployment rates are 5% in Australia and 15% in Ireland respectively. Ireland is now experiencing the same brain drain it did in the 1980's as many young graduates leave in search of employment. The sad thing is that when many of their 2 year visas expire and they return home, they will not be eligible to claim social welfare in Ireland due to the Habitual Residence Condition.
Is all is left is a few overly educated "experts" and a few plastic paddies. The shame of it. How will it end?
Old Dec 30th 2011, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sickntired
Is all is left is a few overly educated "experts" and a few plastic paddies. The shame of it. How will it end?
Who knows but in the mean time I think sickntired for president of ireland
Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
Who knows but in the mean time I think sickntired for president of ireland
Yes, that's what Ireland needs; an internet troll for President.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that's what Ireland needs; an internet troll for President.
We don't need a dole scrounger who has adopted Dundalk. Your sole aim in life is to claim dole.

Why don't you go back to England as you are not a Paddy.

You are a scrounger - simple as.

32 years in London makes you English - cop on to it.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little reminder, lets be civil to other members. It's ok to disagree but let's not get personal. It's not what this forum is all about.

BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Many thanks