Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to get UK passport photos in US?

Where to get UK passport photos in US?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to get UK passport photos in US?

Originally Posted by Cushcowlady
Can Member MATT HAGUE please tell me what he submitted for his renewal passport photo and whether his photos were accepted by the British Embassy in Washington DC?

I am in a small town in the USA where British passports photos are not available.

I need to get a passport photo urgently but am worried that if I submit 2 American size photos (2" x2") from my local Walgreens, which have not been cut down to the accepted 35 mm x 45 mm British size, they will be rejected and I will lose $224.

Any information about passport photos by anyone else who have had British passport photos accepted by the British Embassy in September and October 2009 would be very helpful.

Thank you.
They won't be rejected I used Walgreens for my British Passport this year and it was 100% OK
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can Member MATT HAGUE please tell me what he submitted for his renewal passport photo and whether his photos were accepted by the British Embassy in Washington DC?

I am in a small town in the USA where British passports photos are not available.

I need to get a passport photo urgently but am worried that if I submit 2 American size photos (2" x2") from my local Walgreens, which have not been cut down to the accepted 35 mm x 45 mm British size, they will be rejected and I will lose $224.

Any information about passport photos by anyone else who have had British passport photos accepted by the British Embassy in September and October 2009 would be very helpful.

Thank you.
not bothered to read the thread much huh?

Well, use a US photo, don't trim it and it'll be fine...it's been mentioned a few time already and this thread ain't that long.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osgood
Go into a place selling passport photo's with the machine set to your country's passport photo size...here in south florida at walgreen's i got mine..you can take them yourself but do not smile,i got mine rejected for that..asshole's at british embassy...

Errr, I would cook the crow before I ate it.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:36 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
WALGREENS - I was in walgreens last weekend and the machine could be programmed with US or UK or Italy. so they can do it for you.......
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not bothered to read the thread much huh?

Well, use a US photo, don't trim it and it'll be fine...it's been mentioned a few time already and this thread ain't that long.
I reckon Matt Hague's the only one with any credibility here.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Cushcowlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where to get UK passport photos in US?

The Walgreens where I am in the USA has NOT trained its assistants to take British passport-size photos. They only do American photos.

There is no machine in Walgreens either - or come to that any other similar photo shop - where I can take photos myself.

Are you absolutely certain that American-size 2" x 2" (without cutting them down to a smaller size) photos are accepted by the Washington DC Embassy?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:31 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I Renewed my sons and sent of for my daughters first UK passport at the embassy BOTH THIS YEAR. I used US passport photos both times and did not cut them done JUST LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COMES WITH THE PASSPORT FORM TELLS YOU! Mind you - if you cant be bothered to read the accompanying instructions - and wont read the comments already posted several times in this thread - i dont know why im bothering to repeat myself!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
I Renewed my sons and sent of for my daughters first UK passport at the embassy BOTH THIS YEAR. I used US passport photos both times and did not cut them done JUST LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COMES WITH THE PASSPORT FORM TELLS YOU! Mind you - if you cant be bothered to read the accompanying instructions - and wont read the comments already posted several times in this thread - i dont know why im bothering to repeat myself!
I don't think she's going to believe anybody but Matt. And I can't say I blame her.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Are you absolutely certain that American-size 2" x 2" (without cutting them down to a smaller size) photos are accepted by the Washington DC Embassy?
Yes - I did exactly this to renew my UK passport at the DC Embassy! You really need to switch to decaf... life will be much less stressful for you.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I don't think she's going to believe anybody but Matt. And I can't say I blame her.
well seeing as he only posted on the 24th oct - she is a complete loony for expecting any kind of reply before say a month has passed. i doubt hes even sent the envelope off yet - let alone got a reply! it takes a fair few ( 6???) weeks lady to get your passport back!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

MattHague is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sorry - but as somebody pointed out - I haven't even sent mine off yet!

I went to my local CVS, they printed my US immigration photos (2x2 for the US Govt). And trimmed them down to about the right size today - but then when I asked somebody to counter sign the back of one they messed up and signed both - and pressed hard enough to see the writing on the front (don't think that would go down well).

I have just picked up a pack of 4x6 photo paper that fits into my printer and am going to download some software that makes the right size without too much fuss.

I'm thinking that the 2x2 might work too - if cut down by the embassy as is suggested here so that is a good option - but bought the paper as I get 60 sheets of photo paper for 10.99 vs 2 ID pics for 7.99.

Won't know if it works for a good 4-6 weeks, but I don't think that you forfeit the entire application fee for having bad photos - it says on the form that the biggest delay in application is bad photos; to me that implies they ask for another set.

Sorry for not replying sooner - new to this forum, so using it is still quite cumbersome and life also has a tendancy to be quite busy right now.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Matt Hague
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

MattHague is an unknown quantity at this point

PS Just used the www.epassportphotos.com and its a winner. You can use it for US ID pics too.

Thanks to Mummy in the foothills for that one!