Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:14 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Originally Posted by essexnick
Land of the Free (except healthcare) and the home of the brave....or should that be slave.

I am living in California. I own a house, live near the beach and the weather is great.
I am currently contracting and have been for the last 7 months. I have has only 3 day off in the last 1.5 years. This is mental. If I take a week off work or call in sick I dont get paid nada.

Get another job with benefits I hear you say! Well trying to find a permanent job here with health care, sick pay and vacation is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Salary is cheap and they dont offer nothing in the way of benefits. It's all long term contracting.

I had a job interview last month. They offered me a job paying $19 bucks per hour which is not that great when you have a mortgage. Also, they guy offered me 10 days vacation a year after the first 6 months of probabtion period. He thought that was a great package deal and seamed impressed with himself.
In my mind I was just laughing. 10 days is rubbish. When I was working in the UK for the NHS I had 29 days vacation + national holidays + free health care + what looks like unlimited sick time off as needed (none of this earning sick days). Granted, the NHS is more than most for the UK. Average is 21 to 25 days. But hey, that's still damn good. So stop moaning all you people living in the UK.

Anyway, my original point is that I am so tired all the time lately. I can't imagine working like this for another 30 years. Things need to change. American people need to change the way they work and push for better benefits. Just look at the film Sicko by Michael Moore. Agree there has to be a balance somewhere. I think the US is so far behind in the is respect.

In times like this I think to myself 'how much longer can I live like this' and 'is this way of life really worth it'. Yes I own a cheap house. Yes I live near the beach. Yes I have lots of nice weather. No I don't get the time to enjoy it.

To make things worse, with have a German exchange student here right now. He talks to me about having 2 weeks in Spain blah blah blah....2 weeks off at Christmas to go skiing etc. It makes me remember how great Europe is and how much they value your life and enjoyment.

Am I losing the plot here? Would maybe taking a week off work help? Would visiting the UK again for a week help me remember why I left? This county is Home of the brave....brave enough to be a slave...a slave to work.

I have to give here more time and hopefully find a job with 10 days holiday (ooooh big friggin deal) and see what happens.

Anyone else stuck in the US and feel like this? How does one get over it? Or maybe never?
If its any consolation to you, I understand completely. I happily remember 5 weeks excluding public holidays. My brother currently gets 7 weeks...Sigh...

I think the best I have every achieved here is 3 weeks vacation with an employer, 4 is exceptional here and often generally involves working for the state in a DMV type environment with crap pay. Basically, vacation allowance here is miserable and stems from some odd Puritan religious nut philosophy. Let's face, it this country was founded by the religious knobs from England that had to leave to be weirdos.

The oddest thing I have found is the prevalence of "presentism" here in the office with a corresponding lack of productivity but a more important need to be seen.

I think for the vacation reason alone I cannot relate to the long term prospect of staying here indefinately...its been 8 years now and I still feel the same.

I remember when I first started working here, I told my boss I was taking 2 weeks for a trip back home to Blighty. They were amazed that I asked for that.

I once asked and took a four week holiday in the UK.. how I long for the days of 2 weeks for a winter break and a couple again later in the year, plus Christmas...

Basically, its why Europeans are so well travelled and don't have that Hicksville US aspect to them, excluding your core prols of course.

Then again everyone here has to keep working out of fear of healthcare loss. Its messed up here.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:27 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to holidays, I guess I must be lucky as I get three weeks vacation as well as the company shutting down for eight days at Christmas plus the bank holidays. Pay's not too bad either. On the downside, there is no paid overtime, but we're expected to be putting in more than our contracted 40 hours a week, by at least 10%, otherwise it can affect our end of year review and pay rise and bonus.... so swings and roundabouts really.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

essexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
The oddest thing I have found is the prevalence of "presentism" here in the office with a corresponding lack of productivity but a more important need to be seen.

Then again everyone here has to keep working out of fear of healthcare loss. Its messed up here.
Yes, totally. I have worked in many places in the USA. Everywhere is the same. They don't work hard but work longer. I would rather work harder and have more time off, just how it was in London. Atleast when there is a mad rush it makes the day go quicker.

I do enjoy many things about the USA, but agree with you that in my head I will eventually return home to the UK when the novelty of living in America wears off.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:59 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, totally. I have worked in many places in the USA. Everywhere is the same. They don't work hard but work longer. I would rather work harder and have more time off, just how it was in London. Atleast when there is a mad rush it makes the day go quicker.

I do enjoy many things about the USA, but agree with you that in my head I will eventually return home to the UK when the novelty of living in America wears off.
It's a real cultural difference that niggles to the core...

Ultimately in the long term I think its counter productive but then again IMHO working practices in this country are very short term in comparison to the European mindset.

Of course we could move to Iowa where the employment is more civil, apparently. Personally I am not sold on that.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

essexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really niceessexnick1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
It's a real cultural difference that niggles to the core...

Ultimately in the long term I think its counter productive but then again IMHO working practices in this country are very short term in comparison to the European mindset.

Of course we could move to Iowa where the employment is more civil, apparently. Personally I am not sold on that.
Hey, where in the bay area are you? Near San Francisco? I live in the north bay on the Russian River
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:32 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Land of the Free (except healthcare) and the home of the brave....or should that be slave.

I am living in California. I own a house, live near the beach and the weather is great.
I am currently contracting and have been for the last 7 months. I have has only 3 day off in the last 1.5 years. This is mental. If I take a week off work or call in sick I dont get paid nada.

Get another job with benefits I hear you say! Well trying to find a permanent job here with health care, sick pay and vacation is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Salary is cheap and they dont offer nothing in the way of benefits. It's all long term contracting.

I had a job interview last month. They offered me a job paying $19 bucks per hour which is not that great when you have a mortgage. Also, they guy offered me 10 days vacation a year after the first 6 months of probabtion period. He thought that was a great package deal and seamed impressed with himself.
In my mind I was just laughing. 10 days is rubbish. When I was working in the UK for the NHS I had 29 days vacation + national holidays + free health care + what looks like unlimited sick time off as needed (none of this earning sick days). Granted, the NHS is more than most for the UK. Average is 21 to 25 days. But hey, that's still damn good. So stop moaning all you people living in the UK.

Anyway, my original point is that I am so tired all the time lately. I can't imagine working like this for another 30 years. Things need to change. American people need to change the way they work and push for better benefits. Just look at the film Sicko by Michael Moore. Agree there has to be a balance somewhere. I think the US is so far behind in the is respect.

In times like this I think to myself 'how much longer can I live like this' and 'is this way of life really worth it'. Yes I own a cheap house. Yes I live near the beach. Yes I have lots of nice weather. No I don't get the time to enjoy it.

To make things worse, with have a German exchange student here right now. He talks to me about having 2 weeks in Spain blah blah blah....2 weeks off at Christmas to go skiing etc. It makes me remember how great Europe is and how much they value your life and enjoyment.

Am I losing the plot here? Would maybe taking a week off work help? Would visiting the UK again for a week help me remember why I left? This county is Home of the brave....brave enough to be a slave...a slave to work.

I have to give here more time and hopefully find a job with 10 days holiday (ooooh big friggin deal) and see what happens.

Anyone else stuck in the US and feel like this? How does one get over it? Or maybe never?
I'm American, but I'm sympathetic to your position. It strikes me that Europeans generally approach their lifestyles as a function of managing their time (meeting friends at the pub or cafe, holidays, etc.), while Americans approach theirs based upon how they spend their money.

Americans tend to have more spending power but less time, so they focus on merchandise and the process of buying it, instead of on their approach to leisure time. On the costly coasts, this feeds a negative result, for material expectations are so high and housing so expensive that it's inevitable that many will go into hock to keep up, which in turn immerses them more deeply into the consumption mindset. (A consumerist version of Stockholm Syndrome, I suppose.)

I'm not always thrilled by the prices and taxation in Europe, particularly the UK and Scandinavia, but I do like that Europeans generally seem to be more content with making do with less. My perception may be skewed, but it appears to me that there is far less craving for stuff and little sense of deprivation, so the competitive spending frenzy is largely absent. The health care situation here irritates me, but if I do leave, it will be this greater emphasis on lifestyle and lesser interest in consumption that will ultimately give me the final shove.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:12 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Where in CA are you?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Where in CA are you?
I live in the north bay on the Russian River
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't "contracting" 100% synonymous with not getting paid if you take time off? Basically, you either get a full time 'salaried' job, which comes with benefits, vacation/sick/pto, etc, OR, you go 'contracting', where you get paid by the hour and you take care of your own benefits. The general idea is, a salaried job pays much less per hour than a contracting job, and it's up to you to decide which option to go for. It simply makes no sense to say that you are contracting, and then complain that if you take a week off you don't get paid!
I had a job interview last month. They offered me a job paying $19 bucks per hour [plus] 10 days vacation a year after the first 6 months of probabtion period.
I have no idea what line of work you are in, but the general rule of thumb is, you need to make at least 30% more as a contractor than as a salaried employee to offset the extra costs you incur covering all the benefits yourself (don't quote me on the 30%; I forget the number now; the point is, there is a percentage to consider). So if you were offered $19 per hour as a salaried employee, you need to compare that to about $25 per hour as a contractor; if you are making MORE than $25/hr now as a contractor, the salaried job was not a good offer; if you are making less, then maybe it's attractive.

I know several contractors who make great rates, and choose to take months off at a time; I choose to go for a salaried position because I don't want to have to deal with many of the issues associated with contracting. I happen to love my job, and find it hard to leave the office every day - there's just so much to do, and I want to get as much of it done as I can, purely for personal satisfaction.

When I worked in England, everyone sat around complaining all day, and there was more focus placed on when you arrived, and how many phone calls you made. I seem to recall a regular habit of going to the pub at lunchtime, too - what a great productivity enhancer that was! If there is ONE reason above all others that makes me happy to be here, it is the work environment.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

I've managed to negotiate with my employer for them to honour my UK holiday allowance over and above the 10 national holidays in the US so I get those 10 plus 26 days.

Result!

Daz
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
I've managed to negotiate with my employer for them to honour my UK holiday allowance over and above the 10 national holidays in the US so I get those 10 plus 26 days.

Result!

Daz
I am in a similar situation, i am just negotiating my move to the US via L1B my employer has already stated that i will retain my 25.5 days holiday a year plus bank holidays etc and that was without me asking
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
I am in a similar situation, i am just negotiating my move to the US via L1B my employer has already stated that i will retain my 25.5 days holiday a year plus bank holidays etc and that was without me asking
Ensure they're not including the 10 national holidays in that.

What else have you asked for? Flights home to see family, continuation of the same contract t&C's i.e. notice period, accomodation for 3 months etc?

Daz
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Ensure they're not including the 10 national holidays in that.

What else have you asked for? Flights home to see family, continuation of the same contract t&C's i.e. notice period, accomodation for 3 months etc?

Daz
They have offered me so far 25.5 holidays plus national/bank holidays, full health care for me and the Mrs (kids have all grown up) continuation of service (I have been with them for 6 years) 3 months accomodation and car hire all moving expenses plus flights ( they have given me a choice for the flights either buisness class out then buisness class back after the 3 year project is over or cattle class both ways and an extra set of cattle class to fly home and back during the project) seeing as they are going to be sponsoring my green card i think i will take the buisness class never done that before

Steve
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Get citizenship before you return to the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tableland
Get citizenship before you return to the UK.
That is what we are hoping, one person in my company who went over got there green card in less than 12 months!!!! if that was the case my daughter who is only 20 may be able to get hers

You can but try

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.