Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice
Default Re: Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Originally Posted by Mandana
Sorry to disagree, but I brought all of my appliances with me (kitchen ones, not vacuum, washer etc).

We have one big step up/step down convertor in the kitchen in a corner and IMO it was far cheaper to bring our iron, Bamix, Nespresso machine, Polti steam cleaner etc .. all the expensive stuff .. than to leave it behind to rot in storage, sell for pennies or give away, than to buy new here.

And perhaps it's being a woman you get used to certain things and yes, it is sad to leave them behind! So, OP, I fully understand and highly recommend you bring them and replace when they die.

I can't remember where we got our convertors as my H bought them online, but he did his research and got a great deal.

We have 2 large ones - the kitchen one and one for the plasma - and a couple of smaller ones for other stuff.
Happy to hear that. Cheers! You brought your television (plasma) as well? We got a fabulous deal (in Asia) on ours and absolutely love the quality; we'd like to bring it.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Ray.

Ebay/local paper/trader are your friends....soon as you've gotten rid of your stuff you won't miss it, especially when you get here and get new and improved gear.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers.

Last edited by LadyBelle; Mar 10th 2008 at 10:45 am. Reason: £ to $ typo
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).
We will check. Thanks.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I do know converters can overheat and catch fire .....
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers.

i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that
Perfect for candlelit suppers.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had brought my breadmaker, I can't find a similar one here.

Last time I moved from the US to the UK I took my US voltage computer speakers and scanner with me and ran them for years through a transformer that I got from a shop on Tottenham Court Road. Haven't really tried it going the other way though. My UK laptop and PC work fine in the US but we left all our other electrical items there.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:15 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking to buy a converter so to use some UK appliances in the USA. Does anyone know where to buy them? Cheers.
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

This is where we bought ours from http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not bothering. Just bringing only stuff which is already designed to work on 100/110/230/240v @ 50/60Hz:

2 x laptops (power bricks will take anything form 100v to 240v)
PC (will give the 230v PSU away to a mate prior to shipping and buy a new PSU when we get there)
DivX/DVD player
Buffalo Linkstation networked HDD
Cisco Pix firewall
Camcorder
Linksys PAP2 VoIP ATA
Motorola bluetooth headset
Medion (Mitac clone) PDA cradle/charger thingy
Other stuff I forgot about

It's amazing how much CE stuff now is just universally power-able. Makes sense I suppose.

Am bringing a few 5-way gang extensions to plug it all into, that way I don't have to buy as many converter plugs.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by William Semmes
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK
It looks like this site is for a retailer who is in the UK. But you mention they should have them a lot cheaper than in the UK. Did I read that incorrectly? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.