Reload this Page >

Your thoughts about our 14 year old dog moving to Brisbane

Your thoughts about our 14 year old dog moving to Brisbane

Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

LaPatamonl.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your thoughts about our 14 year old dog moving to Brisbane

Hi,

I have read through a few threads on this site about taking pets to Australia.

We are moving to Brisbane in December 2010. We are still in two minds as to whether we bring our dear Patamon with us or whether he goes to live with some close friends of ours. Our major concern is Patamons age, his adapting to the Australian climate, and getting through the journey.

His details:
Name: Patamon
Breed: Jack Russell
Sex: Male
Medical condition: Cushings Syndrone

We have been in touch with Transfur, AirPets, Jet4Pets, and a couple of other pet shipping companies, and they have all said it would be ok for Patamon to travel with them, and that they have carried older dogs before.

Has anyone on here shipped an older dog? Pato has already been checked out by our vet who says he's fit to travel and should get through the journey fine.

Our major concern is him adapting to the new climate, and spending one month at Eastern Creek Immigration Processing and Quarantine Inspection Detention Centre? We are aware that Eastern Creek accommodation is outdoors (will it be too hot in the summer time?) with no air conditioning, and we understand they use a sprinkler system to cool dogs down who are too hot.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or experienced it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your thoughts about our 14 year old dog moving to Brisbane

We've shipped two dogs and two cats from Ireland to Sydney through Eastern Creek. We've also shipped dogs and cats internationally a couple of times before. Whilst none of them were as old as your dear dog, I would say the following:

The journey seems to hit them less than it hits the humans.

Conditions at Eastern Creek are pretty good, and the staff are enthusiastic and caring.

Once here in Australia, sure it gets hot, but they all sem to cope pretty well, still want to go for walks even if the tongues are hanging out and they are panting.

If you were able to ask him, I would bet that your dog would go for some short-term stress and discomfort in order to stay with you.

When you pick him up from Eastern Creek and see his reaction it will all be worthwhile!

Good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We came over with 4 Staffordshire Bull Terriers aged from 2 years to 13 years.

The oldest girl was 13.5 years at the time, she's now 15. There was never an option of leaving her behind, she was healthy, a very good traveller etc.

The dogs all cope with the heat very well, tbh just like us when you arrive you think 25 is hot but within a year you are wearing a cardigan at them temps. Added to this in the height of Summer they mostly just want to lounge in the house with air con on anyway and there are the colder months for them to enjoy as well in Brissy.

If you have a good vet you can trust then have a chat to them about how the flight will disrupt any medications Patamon may be on for his cushings if this is a concern.

We were renting near Brissy when we had our dogs in quarantine at Sydney and although many fly their dogs up to Qld we drove down, stayed with friends overnight and then picked them up at 8.30am and set off back for the rental took about 11 hours but well worth it in our instance.

It was never the quarantine that worried me but the flight itself, the flight to Sydney for dogs is the quickest with just an hour stop in Bangkok (they don't get off the plane, same plane goes onwards). The staff at quarantine were brilliant you get the mobile number for the kennel-hand that is looking after your dogs and she always knew when we rang and launched into weights, how they were doing etc. I hadn't told them that our old girl had gone deaf in case there was some obscure rule about them not flying LOL but they knew on the first call to them that she couldn't hear (it wasn't and isn't a problem). When we visited them after a week, they were very healthy and happy it was nice to see them all run to the door, tails wagging when the kennel maid went past.

Ours were there in April and we had a good spot, last kennel block down so it was lovely and shady. I would imagine in summer they use the blockout shade material which is very good. By it's very nature it's quarantine so the dogs have to be monitored very closely, so I wouldn't worry unduly about his time there.

We did leave behind with my very good friend our old boy who was approaching 16 years old, we could have brought him but his back legs weren't good and he'd always been a very bad traveller. I guess it's really only you that truly knows Patamon and what you think will be best for him.

I used to work in rescue for my breed and oldies are generally easy to home and there are some super homes out there, but if you can take him if it's right for him, I suspect as the previous poster says the short term stress will be quickly forgotten to be with his family.

Good luck with your move and with whatever you decide
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

We brought our 14 year old collie cross with us. Unfortunately there was no room at the Perth quarantine centre so he stayed at Melbourne for a month and we landed in Perth. We then arranged for him to fly to Perth. To be honest he did look pretty bad when we saw him after a month but he had always pined for us in kennels in the UK too. It wasn't long before he picked up and got used to the hot weather (we arrived in February). He adored sun bathing! He had a fantastic retirement in Australia and I think the weather really helped his arthritis too. He died last month at a grand old age of 17, so no we don't regret bringing him even though most people thought we were crazy to do it!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with whatever you decide.I just wanted to say when I first read your thread I though I have never heard of a Patomon I wonder what breed it is!Sue.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by LaPatamonl.com
Hi,

I have read through a few threads on this site about taking pets to Australia.

We are moving to Brisbane in December 2010. We are still in two minds as to whether we bring our dear Patamon with us or whether he goes to live with some close friends of ours. Our major concern is Patamons age, his adapting to the Australian climate, and getting through the journey.

His details:
Name: Patamon
Breed: Jack Russell
Sex: Male
Medical condition: Cushings Syndrone

We have been in touch with Transfur, AirPets, Jet4Pets, and a couple of other pet shipping companies, and they have all said it would be ok for Patamon to travel with them, and that they have carried older dogs before.

Has anyone on here shipped an older dog? Pato has already been checked out by our vet who says he's fit to travel and should get through the journey fine.

Our major concern is him adapting to the new climate, and spending one month at Eastern Creek Immigration Processing and Quarantine Inspection Detention Centre? We are aware that Eastern Creek accommodation is outdoors (will it be too hot in the summer time?) with no air conditioning, and we understand they use a sprinkler system to cool dogs down who are too hot.

If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or experienced it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Hi there

We rehomed our Westies as one was 6 and the other 11. It was the hardest thing about moving here, more so than leaving family and friends, but to be honest I am glad we did make that decision.
I don't think the elder dog would have coped with the heat that well and also she would eat anything in site, so not good with creepy crawlies lurking around in the garden.
Also it was the stress of the flight and being in quarantine, for both dogs.
A sellfish decision but the right one for us, and we were fortunate to find a loving home for them.
All the best with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We fret over our dogs more than they fret over themselves. Just bring him with you and have no regrets that he gets to see out his days with the family he has always known.

The time will fly in quarantine and they adapt just find to the weather. I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't like lying the sun from time to time.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:51 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
We fret over our dogs more than they fret over themselves. Just bring him with you and have no regrets that he gets to see out his days with the family he has always known.

The time will fly in quarantine and they adapt just find to the weather. I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't like lying the sun from time to time.
Yeah agree with all of this.

Apparently the dogs generally sleep for the duration of the flight, what with all the humming from the plane etc.

Unless you're a crazy Staffy like mine. He tore threw his wooden transportation crate and was found running around in the hold when he got to Singapore ...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:29 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I have a thought on this.

In the UK you have a Family willing to take your Dog. I assume you know and trust them and they know the dog.

Here in Oz There is no shortage of dogs needing a home. Its worth considering there maybe a way that more than both yourself and your dog could benefit from this.

Have a look at www.petrescue.com.au

If you do decide to bring him I reckon he will fit in fine.

I know you all have bounded and the decision is very hard. We left our cat behind (cats being far different to dogs). We adopted three here (dont ask) and left our cat with a very loving owner.

The initial leaving was terrible on my wife who had had her for over 7 years though good times and bad.

I do have to say though personnally with all that said if it was my dog I would probably fold and ship the dog. Sometimes logic is really not part of the decision.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Aww god luck with whatever you decide. Centurion prob puts it best. I'd bring him if you love him
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

We were going to take our little dog back to Australia last year in the winter. He had Cushings disease and didn't like the heat anymore. I am not sure at what stage your dog is but ours went from loving heat to hating it and would look for the coldest floor to lay on.

I would think landing in the middle of summer and the fact there is no aircon in the quarantine station could be hell for him. We were booked to go back in the winter for that reason.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:26 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

We have a jack russel (well sort of). Yes he's an aussie but he hates the cold.
How could you leave him behind?