Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I making the right decision?

Am I making the right decision?

Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Originally Posted by denzil73
Even so, if I could get a job, and been trying for 6 months now, it wouldn't be enough to buy a house cos the property market caters for the last generation and the already rich. For what you get in Brisbane, or any major city in Oz, the property is generally worth half that amount. Especially if you look at the local gov appraisal guidelines.
Yep .... It blows me away that we have dual income, no kids, been working between 15-20 years, on salaries well above the national average in both the UK and Oz, and still can't get a simple house in an area week like living in either Syd or London. The pollies have lost touch, probably because you and I are paying their mortgage on their 4th or 5th investment property.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yep .... It blows me away that we have dual income, no kids, been working between 15-20 years, on salaries well above the national average in both the UK and Oz, and still can't get a simple house in an area week like living in either Syd or London. The pollies have lost touch, probably because you and I are paying their mortgage on their 4th or 5th investment property.
I think all the original convicts ended up in positions of power cos the pollies are bloody corrupt self serving bastards IMO.

Also, they NEED to get rid of negative geared investment property cos altho a good idea initially it is only beneficial to the already rich and well off.

Just for a laugh I'll tell you that 10yrs ago a semi-detached 4 roomed, 2 bed townhouse in Lawnton was going for around $43k. Now they are going for over $220k and they aren't even properly insulated, double glazed and have air con and in a fairly crap area. Me thinks this is somewhat above the inflation rate

In comparison my parents place in the UK, nice area, was UKPound 47k 30yrs ago. 4 bed detached. Now going for around the 120k mark. Sounds more reasonable aye?

Last edited by denzil73; Mar 31st 2014 at 10:41 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the original convicts ended up in positions of power cos the pollies are bloody corrupt self serving bastards IMO.

Also, they NEED to get rid of negative geared investment property cos altho a good idea initially it is only beneficial to the already rich and well off.

Just for a laugh I'll tell you that 10yrs ago a semi-detached 4 roomed, 2 bed townhouse in Lawnton was going for around $43k. Now they are going for over $220k and they aren't even properly insulated, double glazed and have air con and in a fairly crap area. Me thinks this is somewhat above the inflation rate

In comparison my parents place in the UK, nice area, was UKPound 47k 30yrs ago. 4 bed detached. Now going for around the 120k mark. Sounds more reasonable aye?
Negative gearing is great if you want to rent in a nice area. Keeps the greedy landlord from getting no where near close to a positive geared property. Mind .... Its our tax helping out the short fall.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Negative gearing is great if you want to rent in a nice area. Keeps the greedy landlord from getting no where near close to a positive geared property. Mind .... Its our tax helping out the short fall.
Exactly, having rent that doesn't cover mortgage payments means you get a huge tax break meaning the, generally, well paid pay less tax than the less well off, struggling with a medium wage job person who is having to cover the gap the rich are leaving. Not exactly a fair system IMO.

Plus it means the property investor gets the tax break but also gets to pay their resided in mortgage off in under half what it would normally take. Just ridiculous!!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, having rent that doesn't cover mortgage payments means you get a huge tax break meaning the, generally, well paid pay less tax than the less well off, struggling with a medium wage job person who is having to cover the gap the rich are leaving. Not exactly a fair system IMO.

Plus it means the property investor gets the tax break but also gets to pay their resided in mortgage off in under half what it would normally take. Just ridiculous!!
Mortgage payments are not tax deductible, only interest is and interest rates are not so high these days.

And well paid people generally pay more tax (absolute and %) than less well off. It is absurd to suggest otherwise and you are getting self righteous over nothing.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 11:57 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

For what you get in Brisbane, or any major city in Oz, the property is generally worth half that amount. Especially if you look at the local gov appraisal guidelines.
In Brisbane the 'local government appraisal' only covers the undeveloped land value, not the value of the house and land package, so it's not surprising that the rateable value is half the property price.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
In Brisbane the 'local government appraisal' only covers the undeveloped land value, not the value of the house and land package, so it's not surprising that the rateable value is half the property price.
well that doesn't surprise me for QLD but I was meaning generally as pretty sure the other states value a property including what is standing upon the land but even so, land prices have become retardedly expensive and the only reason is companies making huge profits on something that isn't even theirs. Just think the original settlers could build wherever they wanted cos the land is of the earth and not white mans greed.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Mortgage payments are not tax deductible, only interest is and interest rates are not so high these days.

And well paid people generally pay more tax (absolute and %) than less well off. It is absurd to suggest otherwise and you are getting self righteous over nothing.
Blah Blah
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Blah Blah
Good comeback. Why let the truth come between you and an opportunity to sit around feeling aggrieved.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good comeback. Why let the truth come between you and an opportunity to sit around feeling aggrieved.
Another Brisbane grumpy. What is it with that place?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Best I felt like saying really cos as my father-in-law has rental properties I know exactly how things work and hence do not make comments without knowing a subject. Doing that is ignorant and stupid.

So blah blah was my feeling to what you'd written.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you've made the decision to go for the visa and commit the money for this and the move, just do it. Decision made. You can't then think, is this right, or wrong, or what about this or what about that.

Yes it's extremely usual to feel these feelings. Being unsure will not help.

Make the decision, stick with it, be as positive as you can be and do not look backwards. I'm not in any way saying don't take your parent's feelings into consideration however, just think of the positives and ways in which you can involve them in your lives going forward.

The constant is this the right thing will drive you and others around you slowly insane.

And yes, although it's a HUGE expensive move and HUGE lifestyle change. You can come back if you find it too much (finances willing, which they may not be for a long time).

Make a decision, do it.

Wish you all the best.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

have found that unless you go to kindy or primary and make friends there that you keep throughout skool then you are never really accepted as part of the group.
Sorry I have to disagree with this. Not that it may have been your personal experience, however this is not a white wash for all.

Myself and 4 siblings went to a primary school and then went on to 3 different high schools (all separately). The primary school we attended was not a feeder for any of the high schools. None of us felt we weren't accepted as part of a group of friends we all made (again separately) in high school.

All of us keep in touch with friends we made (not all of course).

Just to say that this is our experience however so the white wash of 'never really accepted' I don't feel applies to all. It depends on the type of person you are.

Last edited by Still Game; Apr 20th 2014 at 10:37 am.