Why the US?

Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the US?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Quality of life, and all that entails. Lower taxes, lower cost of living, more space, larger house, cheaper cars, better weather, and everyone seems to luuurve my accent! What's not to like? ..... Oh, and my wife is American.
What he said, although I met my wife 6 months after I moved here.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:52 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
A very true statement. Spot on. Now, can we keep that amongst ourselves, please? There's only a limited amount of the unspoilt countryside left. Plane loads of American emigrants won't help.
I'd have thought if you're wealthy you'd be better off in the United States? I'm starting to feel 'better off' now here than I was in the UK, but then it's hard for me to properly evaluate as there are two incomes in our household whereas it was just mine in the UK.

Here on the east coast, I still feel the general cost of living is pretty similar to living in the south east of England.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I just got that question for about the seventh time this week!

It's not better here, it's different. There are pros and cons to everywhere and yes, one of the biggest cons is the cost of healthcare.

However, I get 100 degree weather in the summer, 5 degrees in the winter, and everything in between the rest of the time. Yes, I live in Georgia!

The number one reason for me to be in America is because my wife lives here!

Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I just got that question for about the seventh time this week!

It's not better here, it's different. There are pros and cons to everywhere and yes, one of the biggest cons is the cost of healthcare.

However, I get 100 degree weather in the summer, 5 degrees in the winter, and everything in between the rest of the time. Yes, I live in Georgia!
I love Georgia fwiw. Friendly people, and beautiful sunny countryside.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

the housing market is better in the US.

As young-ish first time buyers my wife and I struggle to find decent house with a £20k deposit and house price of £200k-£225k. In the US our money will go alot further.

I am getting bored of British people. We have lived in our current apartment block of 8 apartments for two years and only one other apartment will give us the time of day. Said hi to a new couple and their baby the other day and stared blankly at me! I am a nice guy honestly! lol

Obviously this differs in certain areas of the country in both the US and the UK

Last edited by delbitter; Apr 17th 2014 at 4:07 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I'd have thought if you're wealthy you'd be better off in the United States? I'm starting to feel 'better off' now here than I was in the UK, but then it's hard for me to properly evaluate as there are two incomes in our household whereas it was just mine in the UK.

Here on the east coast, I still feel the general cost of living is pretty similar to living in the south east of England.
The post I responded to contained the words "financially independent". Your post references incomes and cost of living. Different horses for different courses.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jonion
Quality of life is possibly better, depending on status etc..
Lower taxes - no ideas yet.
Lower cost of living - don't think I agree in general. I've found it cuts both ways and is pretty similar overall.
More space - definitely.
Larger house - I'm moving to a much smaller house in the US ( but it has a very big workshop lol)
Cheaper cars - Absolutely not, I've been most upset at how expensive cars are in the US (unless you buy domestic, which I don't) compared with the same model in the UK (not counting brand new cars here btw)

I sort of agree with that.
Because we live in it we see it close up and don't see the bigger picture too clearly.
As a country I find Britain (all the component parts of) more interesting and diverse, just very compact.

Regarding TV and music, I find US versions of such extremely bland and boring in comparison to the UK. I know in the US I'll have much more time to do things as there'll be no interesting TV to distract me.

Brits are definitely more travelled than Americans in general. Look up the stats for US passports etc.

I'm under no illusion that America is the 'Land if the free' and doesn't have it's own issues like any country does.
3 years ago I'd have laughed (with derision) if someone suggested I'd be living in America... ever.

Because I met this woman and she just happened to be American.
It all went downhill from there

Well best get back to the packing.
The passport stats don't exactly count here. US is so huge you can ski, beach, kids holidays etc etc

The only reason to travel is to experience a different culture. In the UK we grow up on the "summer holiday" tradition. Everyone lives for that chance to get away to the sun lol
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

1. My wife is an American.
2. Protected Freedom of Speech (important when you are opinionated). The UK has no freedom of speech.
4. Er, that's about it.
Agree with number 2!

I don't feel a community spirit here in the UK. I travelled the US a lot and people seem so much more friendly. I can converse with a yank and they seem happy to talk but maybe that is just the accent!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Here, on the east coast in the north east, I still feel the general cost of living is pretty similar to living in the south east of England.
FIFY

It ain't that way, down here.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbitter
Agree with number 2!

I don't feel a community spirit here in the UK. I travelled the US a lot and people seem so much more friendly. I can converse with a yank and they seem happy to talk but maybe that is just the accent!
Have you spent time in Scotland?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY

It ain't that way, down here.
Doh, good catch!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by hotscot
I have. A day in fact. Couldn't understand a word the cab driver was saying in Glasgow. (true story).
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

they seem happy to talk but maybe that is just the accent!
It may well be, . ..... If you haven't noticed it yet, you will come to recognize "accent glaze" which is especially common in American women, where it doesn't matter what you say, just that you're saying something in an English accent!

I have. A day in fact. Couldn't understand a word the cab driver was saying in Glasgow. (true story).
Glasgow is like Texas, a whole other country! .... Even non-Glaswegian Scots struggle to understand a Glaswegian brogue.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 17th 2014 at 4:03 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
Never been. That's why I said (maybe in a different post) that certain areas of the country are better than others.

I hear up north people are much friendlier.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:06 pm

.... I struggle to find decent house with a £20 deposit and ......
I can see that would be challenging!

..... I hear up north people are much friendlier.
You don't need to go as far north as Scotland to find friendly folk.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 17th 2014 at 4:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.