Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

becoming a police officer

becoming a police officer

Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: becoming a police officer

UK cops don't need any A - levels. As half of my family are all cops, including my ex wife, I'm not gonna knock them. They are a damn site better than the police over here from my dealings with them.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:13 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
UK cops don't need any A - levels. As half of my family are all cops, including my ex wife, I'm not gonna knock them. They are a damn site better than the police over here from my dealings with them.
You need a minimum of 2 A-levels now.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You need a minimum of 2 A-levels now.
Really? Is that every force?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Our guys on joining and going the academy with their benefits package get the equivalent of $96K a year, in their first year.
That's insane. Are these cops even educated? I know UK cops aren't for example.
You "know" nothing - as that thoughtless, insult demonstrates.
Furthermore, an apology is owed to the person to whom you addressed your remark.
But I would imagine your rude insensitivity is on a par with your callousness. Hence nothing of the sort will be forthcoming.
Go ahead: prove me wrong.

Last edited by MMcD; Apr 15th 2014 at 12:37 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:28 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
You "know" nothing - as that thoughtless, insult demonstrates.
Furthermore, an apology is owed to the person to whom you addressed your remark.
But I would imagine your rude insensitivity is on a par with your callousness. Hence nothing of the sort will be forthcoming.
Go ahead: prove me wrong.
Oh do give over. Search google, there's multiple statistics about to prove my point.

For example, Tom Windsor feels the same as I do about the intellectual standard of UK cops: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/m...y-redundancies and more here http://metro.co.uk/2011/09/14/police...lawyer-149468/

Do you also know less than a third of UK police officers hold a degree?

I won't even start to mention the corrupt police federation members who attempted to fit up a Cabinet minister or the actions of scum like officer Simon Harwood. I could write for hours on police incompetence, corruption and general low quality of policing in the UK if you'd like?

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 15th 2014 at 2:28 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just seeing CPD offer $65k after 18 months as the UK equivalent to a constable (who makes 18K GBP basic + overtime).

That's insanely high, unless somehow American cops are infinitely more educated than UK plod (which has a very low academic entrance requirement) I fail to see the justification for such a high wage after only 18 months.

I guess most of that is bloody money, given how violent Chicago is.
Depending on department and size of the city, unless they offer a decent pay they can find it very hard to attract and retain officers long term, more then 1 city has learned this over the years.

Not sure if its the case anymore, but San Diego was having quite the difficult time a few years back attracting and retaining officers because the pay was not competitive.

May seem like a high pay, but could very well be the pay needed to attract and retain people.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:40 am
Just Joined

jimmymac96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know much about the new orleans police department? I heard pay isn't great and I heard new orleans is dangerous. How easy is it to get selected compared to departments such as CPD or LAPD?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
Does anyone know much about the new orleans police department? I heard pay isn't great and I heard new orleans is dangerous. How easy is it to get selected compared to departments such as CPD or LAPD?
Is your Google broken? http://www.nola.gov/nopd/police-recruiting/

Seriously, if you want to emigrate and get a job you're going to have to start doing some research on your own. Not just ask people to do it for you.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 11:40 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

I know of a Scottish cop in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia. However he was a cop in the Met, then met and married a local girl here. He had to wait until he filed his citizenship papers before FCPD looked at him, but then they took him with open arms.

That's another way, get some UK experience as a cop too.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Plus they accumulate all the sick days, year after year...they can walk away with a pot of gold in back payments.
Aye, that was the real big stink, both for staties and those working the ports who were being made to take early retirement who had accumulated a hell of a lot of banked holiday and sick time over the years that some of the folks were going to be hitting a million buck mark payout for final year salary payout on top.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not sure if its the case anymore, but San Diego was having quite the difficult time a few years back attracting and retaining officers because the pay was not competitive.

May seem like a high pay, but could very well be the pay needed to attract and retain people.
That was the claim in San Diego. But a local rag did an article pointing out that this claim was crap. There is, and never will be, a shortage of people wanting to join the police force. Especially in a military town like San Diego. What else can military people do other than police or fire? NYPD hold a recruitment class every year in San Diego that is many times oversubscribed.

They just have very powerful influence within San Diego and great connections to media to spread their "we are poorly paid, overworked but need more overtime nonsense"

Look at the lack of criticism in the media when their influence is revealed.

As an example, my friends car was hit and totaled from behind on the I5 by a either drunk, or drugged up, fireman. The police claimed they had no record of the incident even though they attended the scene and drove the guy home (!). The insurance company of the guy refused to pay becasue there was no police record. My friends problem was that he did not have comprehensive insurance, so his insurance company did not take care of him. Get good car insurance in the USA.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is your Google broken? http://www.nola.gov/nopd/police-recruiting/

Seriously, if you want to emigrate and get a job you're going to have to start doing some research on your own. Not just ask people to do it for you.
I've done my research from what I've seen it is easier to get into than some other bigger departments like the ones stated above, I just wanted other peoples opinions on which is easier, and what other people may know about NOPD which I don't know. I know what I've researched but I don't always spot everything sometimes people here can offer their advice and opinions.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Also, does anyone know when i sit the medical, and if they ask for my medical records and they get a copy of my medical records since i've lived in the US is that enough? Because I'm originally from the uk..
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
Also, does anyone know when i sit the medical, and if they ask for my medical records and they get a copy of my medical records since i've lived in the US is that enough? Because I'm originally from the uk..
How can anyone know when you haven't decided what city you will apply to, and this is all pie in the sky anyway since it isn't going to happen until you marry your US girlfriend, in your own words "in a couple years time."

When you are in a position to apply, the jurisdiction you have chosen will give instructions for potential applicants when they are hiring.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
How can anyone know when you haven't decided what city you will apply to, and this is all pie in the sky anyway since it isn't going to happen until you marry your US girlfriend, in your own words "in a couple years time."

When you are in a position to apply, the jurisdiction you have chosen will give instructions for potential applicants when they are hiring.
And between now and then, who knows what the employment and hiring situation might be like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.