Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

becoming a police officer

becoming a police officer

Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: becoming a police officer

Originally Posted by lansbury
So every department in your area reports who they have hired do they. I doubt you know the background of people hired this year. I most certainly do not ask our Chief or Sheriff if they have given a job to a foreigner, and I doubt anyone else does. Repeat it enough times Bob and someone might even believe you.
No, they don't, but the mayor does get stick when it's seen which is why it doesn't happen.

I don't know every department, but I do know someone that is responsible for a large part of the process and it has come up casually in conversation to be the case.

Now, being a non-US citizen, won't be reason to not be hired, that's not being disputed. The actual likelihood though, in a busy city, certainly where I am though is high.

There's also a massive push locally to get ex-military vets jobs in the service and they're competing against folks with degrees and other local training, who have done the civilian stuff.

Now, chances of getting a job in podunk no where, western MA, or county sheriff's department might be much better and or likely, but I wasn't talking about the sticks, but the bigger cities.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Just seeing CPD offer $65k after 18 months as the UK equivalent to a constable (who makes 18K GBP basic + overtime).

That's insanely high, unless somehow American cops are infinitely more educated than UK plod (which has a very low academic entrance requirement) I fail to see the justification for such a high wage after only 18 months.

I guess most of that is bloody money, given how violent Chicago is.
Staties down our way can hit $125K fairly easily after a few years. Caused a bit of a stink a couple years ago when there was budget cuts.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

jimmymac96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Selection Process includes:
Police Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER Test), which test strength, endurance, and flexibility
Background Investigation
Polygraph
Psychological Test
Medical Examination
Drug Screen
Yes, pass used of marijuana does not prevent you from becoming a police officer, for example for the new orleans police department you are eligible to join if you have not used marijuana in the last 3 years. You also do not need to be a US citizen. And in the background check I do not have a criminal record, and during the polygraph I will be honest about experimenting with marijuana at the age of 15.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

jimmymac96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
Yes, pass used of marijuana does not prevent you from becoming a police officer, for example for the new orleans police department you are eligible to join if you have not used marijuana in the last 3 years. You also do not need to be a US citizen. And in the background check I do not have a criminal record, and during the polygraph I will be honest about experimenting with marijuana at the age of 15.
I meant past use of marijuana.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Staties down our way can hit $125K fairly easily after a few years. Caused a bit of a stink a couple years ago when there was budget cuts.
That's an disgraceful amount of money for us (the MA taxpayer) to be paying a police officer at such a junior rank. You'd be talking Super level or above in England to achieve similar pay.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's an disgraceful amount of money for us (the MA taxpayer) to be paying a police officer at such a junior rank. You'd be talking Super level or above in England to achieve similar pay.
Plus they accumulate all the sick days, year after year...they can walk away with a pot of gold in back payments.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:44 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Plus they accumulate all the sick days, year after year...they can walk away with a pot of gold in back payments.
Their sick days accumulate? I guess their risk of being injured is drastically increased compared to your average citizen, but even so. I've not spoken to a state trooper yet, other than noticing their fundamentally useless at enforcing any traffic law other than speeding.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Their sick days accumulate? I guess their risk of being injured is drastically increased compared to your average citizen, but even so. I've not spoken to a state trooper yet, other than noticing their fundamentally useless at enforcing any traffic law other than speeding.
Yes.

Our local cops in NJ really do have a 'Bobby's Job'. The only crimes in the village are traffic related and their job seems to be directing the traffic in and out of the high school and shopping precinct.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Our guys on joining and going the academy with their benefits package get the equivalent of $96K a year, in their first year.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, pass used of marijuana does not prevent you from becoming a police officer,
I meant past use of marijuana.
Best be sure it's past (like an hour or so) before you post
Sorry...couldn't resist....just takin' the piss
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our local cops in NJ really do have a 'Bobby's Job'. The only crimes in the village are traffic related and their job seems to be directing the traffic in and out of the high school and shopping precinct.
That's what they said in Sandy Hook
Old Apr 14th 2014, 10:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lansbury
Our guys on joining and going the academy with their benefits package get the equivalent of $96K a year, in their first year.
That's insane. Are these cops even educated? I know UK cops aren't for example.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's insane. Are these cops even educated? I know UK cops aren't for example.
They need a degree, ..... but that's a subject for another thread!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They need a degree, ..... but that's a subject for another thread!
Unlike the 2 A-levels at D and above UK cops need. heh.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike the 2 A-levels at D and above UK cops need. ....
Two grade D's might actually be a higher level of academic achievement!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.