Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

becoming a police officer

becoming a police officer

Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: becoming a police officer

Originally Posted by Bob
True, but realistically, in a big city. It's not going to happen.
How do you know that?

Unless people apply they have no chance of being accepted, and there is no way any of us can say how many have and were not accepted. What I can say from the departments I know they will always take the best candidates who meet their recruiting criteria. With the one caveat, being a reserve officer, with a good recommendation, will put you above the other candidates.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

jimmymac96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I am still looking at what state to relocate to in the US. I have heard the LAPD are never on a recruitment freeze, however I have heard they are also just as a hard to get into than the chicago pd. I am planning on getting my GED when over there, and studying at a college, and working... Does anyone know how the background check will go if I am from a foreign country?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
How do you know that?

Unless people apply they have no chance of being accepted, and there is no way any of us can say how many have and were not accepted. What I can say from the departments I know they will always take the best candidates who meet their recruiting criteria. With the one caveat, being a reserve officer, with a good recommendation, will put you above the other candidates.
Because politicians don't like explaining to voters why when they have hundreds of applicants for a position that johnny foreigner got it, even if they had a greencard.

I know for a fact that's what happens locally, unless the person has previous niche skills within the police force before moving to the US. Just being a bobby won't generally do it.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How good are your shooting skills?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because politicians don't like explaining to voters why when they have hundreds of applicants for a position that johnny foreigner got it, even if they had a greencard.
So every department in your area reports who they have hired do they. I doubt you know the background of people hired this year. I most certainly do not ask our Chief or Sheriff if they have given a job to a foreigner, and I doubt anyone else does. Repeat it enough times Bob and someone might even believe you.

I know for a fact that's what happens locally, unless the person has previous niche skills within the police force before moving to the US. Just being a bobby won't generally do it.
Well I never said being a UK officer will guarantee a job, but what was stated was being a non citizen will exclude a person. That most certainly isn't the case everywhere. Having previous police experience is a string to your bow. If you can use that to get a reserve position you have made yourself a very desirable candidate.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

So every department in your area reports who they have hired do they. I doubt you know the background of people hired this year. I most certainly do not ask our Chief or Sheriff if they have given a job to a foreigner, and I doubt anyone else does. Repeat it enough times Bob and someone might even believe you.

Well I never said being a UK officer will guarantee a job, but what was stated was being a non citizen will exclude a person. That most certainly isn't the case everywhere. Having previous police experience is a string to your bow. If you can use that to get a reserve position you have made yourself a very desirable candidate.
Before applying to become a police officer, I will try and get a job either as a reserve officer with maybe a smaller department, or a security guard, preferably a reserve officer of course. Hopefully this can make me a more desirable candidate.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
Hello everyone, I am hoping to marry my US girlfriend in a couple years time, once I get my green card will it hard to become a police officer, I know certain departments will hire foreigners on a green card, basically what I'm asking is how hard is it to become a cop, especially with a green card? I am specifically looking to join the chicago police department, what are my chances of being selected? Also during my background check and all that, will they have access to british NHS medical records?
Why the hell would you want to join a corrupt police dept. I work with the police on a day to day basis and have friends who used to be in the Chicago PD you would be better off in a local municipality of sheriff dept.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

Federal law requires you to be a us citizen as I am waiting till I get my citizenship to join the sheriffs dept where I am
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Begs the question what the Feds have to do with this.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

About time that myth was put to rest. There are several States and numerous departments that either don't require people to be a citizen, or a citizen when recruited.
Just seeing CPD offer $65k after 18 months as the UK equivalent to a constable (who makes 18K GBP basic + overtime).

That's insanely high, unless somehow American cops are infinitely more educated than UK plod (which has a very low academic entrance requirement) I fail to see the justification for such a high wage after only 18 months.

I guess most of that is bloody money, given how violent Chicago is.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmymac96
Thanks everyone, I am still looking at what state to relocate to in the US. I have heard the LAPD are never on a recruitment freeze
That's because they keep being shot and killed (honest to god, I bet you that is the reason).
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

No one has a chance of becoming CPD officer unless you are connected to someone.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:15 pm
Banned

You could put a freedom of information request in to find out?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thephionex
Why the hell would you want to join a corrupt police dept. I work with the police on a day to day basis and have friends who used to be in the Chicago PD you would be better off in a local municipality of sheriff dept.
It's just what I want! I've wanted to become a cop for a while, and wanted to live in chicago for a while... so they both sort of go together.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thephionex
No one has a chance of becoming CPD officer unless you are connected to someone.
So every single cop in chicago was 'connected to someone' before they became a cop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.