Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Originally Posted by Vicious B
Would anyone be able to advise how long the turnaround is on visa processing? I am assuming I will be given the L1A visa...i've read on here it could take up to 3 months, would that be a correct assumption?
Mine was done in less than 2 weeks (with Premium Processing), this was at the London embassy in 2011.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

so i've just heard my package has been approved, so they can now officially give me my offer....i'm not sure whether i'm excited or scared!!!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:19 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

so i've just heard my package has been approved, so they can now officially give me my offer....i'm not sure whether i'm excited or scared!!!
Congrats!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

thanks Penguinbar. Got the offer last night, think i need to negotiate it a bit more, as it's not quite what I want...but at least it's a start and things are moving!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

ok, have spent the day investigating things and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on anything else I should be negotiating...
I have my base salary (i want to neg. this a bit more), they have said they will pay shipping & air fare. Temp housing for up to 45 days. a small incidentals budget (i'm not really sure what that means?) plus a taxation person.
I think the holidays are pretty decent most likely around 23 days (they will confirm this). Plus full health benefits - although this depends on what package i take and the 401K (again I have no idea).
They also confirmed they could give me a salary cert. for finding an apartment...is this enough, or should I be asking for them to guarantor for me?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:09 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

ok, have spent the day investigating things and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on anything else I should be negotiating...
I have my base salary (i want to neg. this a bit more), they have said they will pay shipping & air fare. Temp housing for up to 45 days. a small incidentals budget (i'm not really sure what that means?) plus a taxation person.
I think the holidays are pretty decent most likely around 23 days (they will confirm this). Plus full health benefits - although this depends on what package i take and the 401K (again I have no idea).
They also confirmed they could give me a salary cert. for finding an apartment...is this enough, or should I be asking for them to guarantor for me?
Even though they say they offer health insurance you'll still have to pay something out of pocket. A 401 K is a retirement plan. They take an amount from your paycheck and some companies match that and some don't. It lowers the tax taken out of your pay but it as I said it comes out of your paycheck but it is optional you don't have to do it. Incidentals are food, clothing etc.
A salary certification has nothing to with your credit which they will check when you look for an apartment and you have no credit history in the US. You will have to have proof of your salary regardless.Most landlords want you to make 40 X the months rent and the guarantor 80 x. I would seriously ask your company to be the guarantor. When I worked in real estate I had people who made well into the six figures turned down for apartments because they had bad credit. Also most real state agents charge a fee for apartments. You might want to go to a management company directly. After you negotiate your salary try and use payroll tax calculator to figure out what your take home will be. Since you mentioned that they are providing you with an accountant maybe they can help you figure it out. Each states taxes are different and when you live in NYC you'll have to pay city tax as well as state. Negotiate as much as you can an. PM me again as well for any questions.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... a small incidentals budget (i'm not really sure what that means?)
Stuff like small household items that might be stuck in a container like getting a can opener to putting down deposits on your utilities.

You need to know how much it is and whether they gross it up or you'll have a tax surprise.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

My cousin moved to Brooklyn which she likes. Sort of expensive and gentrified with hipsters and yuppies but lots to do with a 'young vibe'. She commutes to NYU and says the public transport is not bad.

Make sure you get those holidays written in blood and that they are on top of the traditional US holidays ie. July 4th, Thanksgiving etc. (Some companies will slide those into your total leave allowance!) It's all about live to work here!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

so good news i've got my holidays in writing...so 23 days plus public holidays! which sounds fantastic! still negotiating some other bits...but hopefully will sort this week. getting excited now!
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:23 pm

Congrats. As I mentioned double check on health insurance.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Congrats. As I mentioned double check on health insurance.
thanks! i did check, my fortnightly payment is approx $100
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:30 pm

thanks! i did check, my fortnightly payment is approx $100
Did they give you the name of the insurance company and the deductible?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!

(Did they provide dental and vision insurance? They can be costly too.)
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
Well done!

yes all included. It's with United Healthcare
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot
Well done!

Most dental plans cover about $1500 which isn't alot. I have Aetna dental discount as part of my insurance. I still have to pay but in NYC a cleaning alone can cost more than $200. I get an exam and cleaning for $82. I also found that my prescriptions at Costco where cheaper than my co pay with my insurance. You have to be a member but I think it's well worth it. I go to an independent eye Dr; located in Costco . An exam for glasses and contacts cost $100. I have looked online for glasses but since I wear progressives Costco was cheaper as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.