Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting on offer/ package for transfer to NYC - considerations...

Originally Posted by Vicious B
Are there any particular areas you would recommend for that, office is on 47th & 2nd street, so don't want to be too far away from there...i like partying (on weekends) and obviously will need to meet people when I first get there, so...
Murray Hill would be good for both partying and for walking to work. You may be able to find a few apartments closer to your office in Midtown. Another option would be the Upper East Side. You could take the 4,5 or 6 trains to Grand Central (42nd street) for a short commute.

Try and avoid commuting cross-town, very few subway lines run across Manhattan. (So you'd have to walk or catch a bus).
Old Feb 13th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Murray Hill would be good for both partying and for walking to work. You may be able to find a few apartments closer to your office in Midtown. Another option would be the Upper East Side. You could take the 4,5 or 6 trains to Grand Central (42nd street) for a short commute.
UES can of course be super expensive, but when we first moved to NYC the company put us up in one of their corporate apartments in a block at 94th and 3rd. Studios there are going for around $2,500 pcm so for your budget it can be done just don't expect much bang for your buck.

Also the 4/5/6 train does get pretty crowded at peak. Better than the Northern line from London Bridge though!
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The wiki really should be extended to include the "grossing up" of anything in the relocation package that's not tax-deductible, so that one is effectively not paying tax on any part of the package. This is one of the most important parts of the package imo, and something that has turned out to be a nasty surprise come tax-time to some posters here.
Ha....I thought I had added that when I put the page together, I guess when I edited it in a while ago, it didn't go through and never double checked.

I put it in now though.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:16 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

he would be a she

Thanks everyone, i've had a look at the wiki posting, will see what else I can find on NYC - i tried looking at the city guide but it didn't seem to have anything on it...
I'm from NYC. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:20 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Try and avoid commuting cross-town, very few subway lines run across Manhattan. (So you'd have to walk or catch a bus).
I live on The Upper East Side. It's very convenient to where your office is located. What type of amenities and what size apartment are you looking for?

Last edited by penguinbar; Feb 13th 2014 at 8:23 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any particular areas you would recommend for that, office is on 47th & 2nd street, so don't want to be too far away from there...i like partying (on weekends) and obviously will need to meet people when I first get there, so...
47th & 2nd Ave.

Murray Hill would be good for both partying and for walking to work.
+1
Murray Hill is roughly the area between 5thAve east to the river - in the 30's
Beautiful old townhouses on side streets (even some trees) as well as tall, newer condo bldgs.(views) - if that's more your style.
You should be able to find a quite nice studio or 1 bed. in Murray Hill, within your budget.

Last edited by MMcD; Feb 13th 2014 at 9:14 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

thanks so much everyone for your assistance. should hear about the offer this week, so may well have a lot more questions once it's received. i'm getting the feeling that for going out [bars/ restaurants/ clubs] it's probably going to be better to live/aim for the lower east side/ east village way, that should also mean not too far of a commute to the office...does that seem reasonable? (oh and i might get more space for my money - bearing in mind i'm going to be coming from a 1500sq ft apartment in DXB)
Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:20 pm

thanks so much everyone for your assistance. should hear about the offer this week, so may well have a lot more questions once it's received. i'm getting the feeling that for going out [bars/ restaurants/ clubs] it's probably going to be better to live/aim for the lower east side/ east village way, that should also mean not too far of a commute to the office...does that seem reasonable? (oh and i might get more space for my money - bearing in mind i'm going to be coming from a 1500sq ft apartment in DXB)
Forget about 1500 sq ft for $2500!The lower East side/East village aren't cheap spots to live in either. They have become very hip and trendy. Some parts are still sketchy as well in both areas so you still need to be careful. As I said I'm from NYC and I used to work in real estate as well so feel free to contact me for any questions.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Forget about 1500 sq ft for $2500!The lower East side/East village aren't cheap spots to live in either. They have become very hip and trendy. Some parts are still sketchy as well in both areas so you still need to be careful. As I said I'm from NYC and I used to work in real estate as well so feel free to contact me for any questions.
Thanks penguinbar, yes I have already seen the sizes of apartments (aren't they tiny!!!) and am thinking i am going to have to have a massive clear out before I get there! I don't even think my bed would fit in most of these places LOL. It's ok though, will be nice to get back into the 'real world'...I love Dubai but we get very spoiled!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:29 pm

Thanks penguinbar, yes I have already seen the sizes of apartments (aren't they tiny!!!) and am thinking i am going to have to have a massive clear out before I get there! I don't even think my bed would fit in most of these places LOL. It's ok though, will be nice to get back into the 'real world'...I love Dubai but we get very spoiled!
You're welcome.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Murray Hill is a good base. I'm on 29th and Lex and find it a nice, easy walk to work above Grand Central. Decent grocery stores, bars and the 6 subway. We pretty much looked at every building around here so let me know if you would like any more info.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaffy23
I agree Murray Hill is a good base. I'm on 29th and Lex and find it a nice, easy walk to work above Grand Central. Decent grocery stores, bars and the 6 subway. We pretty much looked at every building around here so let me know if you would like any more info.
that's great thanks for the advice, i might well PM you once i get offer...(still waiting!!)
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

still no news on my offer yet (i'm getting slightly impatient now) particularly as my apartment renewal is due here in Dubai and i'm not sure what to do about it. Would anyone be able to advise how long the turnaround is on visa processing? I am assuming I will be given the L1A visa...i've read on here it could take up to 3 months, would that be a correct assumption?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, although your employer paying for premium processing would certainly get things moving quicker.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

still no news on my offer yet (i'm getting slightly impatient now) particularly as my apartment renewal is due here in Dubai and i'm not sure what to do about it. Would anyone be able to advise how long the turnaround is on visa processing? I am assuming I will be given the L1A visa...i've read on here it could take up to 3 months, would that be a correct assumption?
If your employer has a blanket L1, it could be done within a month, otherwise 2-4 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.