Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

moving to northern Cyprus and need some advice

moving to northern Cyprus and need some advice

Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

loopylou1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to northern Cyprus and need some advice

Hi, I did post this earlier but not sure if I posted it in the right place! !!
My partner and I are moving to iskele later this year and we need some advice.

We will be renting a friends villa long term and are coming over in April / may to visit international schools. Does anyone have any experience of the international schools in North Cyprus?

Whilst we are aware of the general living costs can anyone tell us about health insurance costs?

Also we will need to buy a car and possibly a small boat (just for fun, nothing elaborate! !!). Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

Looking forward to receiving your replies x
Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

stevemalone123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to northern Cyprus and need some advice

Hi,

Im not sure what age you mean for the international schools.. for children there is the Kyrenia English school which gives top level of standards

Regarding the health insurance im not too sure on this to be honest.. You can read a bit more on medical matters in north cyprus here...

Regarding buying a car you are usually better off buying brand new cars rather than second hand due to the customs duty there... you can easily add £5k on to a car compared with UK prices or £50% for big engine cars.

A boat will cost you anything from £3k onwards..
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like this link has some useful info about health services in Cyprus too: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...einCyprus.aspx
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Looks like this link has some useful info about health services in Cyprus too: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...einCyprus.aspx
This information is not relevant in the illegally occupied north of the Island.
Only the South is a member of the EU.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, thanks for the info.
Veronica I am aware that trnc is not in the eu and that is part of the appeal...
Sandra x
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylou1
Hi guys, thanks for the info.
Veronica I am aware that trnc is not in the eu and that is part of the appeal...
Sandra x
I was simply stating that the link which was given by Sue is not relevant in the North.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate that and thanks again for your input x
Old May 17th 2014, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

How does the cost of living in the North compare with that in the South? I'm thinking about rent and medical insurance & costs, mainly. We're looking for a warm place to retire. We visited Cyprus (both north and south) way back in the '60s, before the division became formalised. Of course the Island would be quite different now, but we have fond memories.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

taz60-annie62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try looking on www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com. That is a really great forum that has loads of useful data as well as an insight to daily life in TRNC. I posted a similar question there about a year ago. You can probably do a search to locate it "would like some advice from expats who moved to TRNC". The thread is still the longest running due to loads of good advice from the kind folks in TRNC. Also on that forum there are many sub forums as well as the general forum. There are catagories such as medical and finance etc., that should help you. Good luck and maybe I will be lucky enough to move over there too one day soon (currently in Sinai Egypt)
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

That's everything I could have hoped for, Annie. Thanks very much for taking the trouble.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

taz60-annie62 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are very welcome Gordon. You can also subscribe online to receive free the weekly newpaper KibKom times. it gives you weekly news in TRNC. The link is http://www.kibkomtimes.com/
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
How does the cost of living in the North compare with that in the South? I'm thinking about rent and medical insurance & costs, mainly. We're looking for a warm place to retire. We visited Cyprus (both north and south) way back in the '60s, before the division became formalised. Of course the Island would be quite different now, but we have fond memories.
Hi Gordon, apart from the changes you anticipated in Cyprus you also have to remember that there were many Turkish Cypriots living in the now occupied areas of Cyprus.

Sadly many Turkish Cypriots have left the island due to the large influx of settlers from Turkey. This has changed the resident population there and the Turkish Cypriots are now a minority there and their numbers are still dwindling.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Stevereno is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to drive to southern cyprus from spain in my car. The only ferry that suits is the one from turkey into kyrenia.
After that I want to drive to limassol has anyone any experience?
I know Grimaldi run a service from Salerno but it's seven days and around a thousand euros.
Done the maths and it's quicker and cheaper to drive across turkey.
Any info would be great thanks
Old Mar 11th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I was simply stating that the link which was given by Sue is not relevant in the North.
Stop being picky. Lots of ex-pats live and enjoy the TRNC
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themajor
Stop being picky. Lots of ex-pats live and enjoy the TRNC
How does pointing out that information given is not relevant to the OPs questions being picky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.