Information on undeveloped areas in Cyprus

Information on undeveloped areas in Cyprus

Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:02 pm
yam
Just Joined

yam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on undeveloped areas in Cyprus

Hello Everyone!
We are an Australian family planing our move to Cyprus (I hold a British citizenship as well).
One of the reasons we are moving, is to get away from modern technology, as we have found out a few years ago that my husband is electro sensitive, and finds it most difficult to be in a wireless environment. We are not connected to the grid, and live a very primitive, simple, sustainable life, doing pretty much everything ourselves.
We have learned to live with the limitations, and we actually like the natural life style, but my husband is becoming more sensitive and more of a prisoner.
That is why we thought North Cyprus would be the place for us, seeing it still has villages that are undeveloped, and no wireless.
My question is if there are places like that in the South of Cyprus? And any relevant information that could help with this issue.
We run an online business (I take care of the computer work) and we are planing on moving the business to Cyprus.
We plan on renting to start with, but plan to buy ASAP.
We have been around the world and have moved the family a few times, so we have no problem with the moving part, but only have the option of any EU countries to move to.
Many thanks for your time to help out, it is appreciated.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Information on undeveloped areas in Cyprus

Would steer clear of North Cyprus, as many new arrivals are coming in from Turkey. These people will be requiring TV, internet, mobile phones etc due to the remoteness of some places.
Maybe you could try some isolated villages in South Cyprus.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 6:48 pm
yam
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply.
Do you know of any isolated villages in the south, we will be happy to check them out. If you have any names of places, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of isolated villages but even they will often have internet via satellite. Would this be a problem for your husband?
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:07 pm
yam
Just Joined

Hi Veronica, and thank you for your reply.
Satellite should be o.k, that is what we use at the moment. Do you have names of any villages of this sort, we dont need to be close to anything in particular, we have very basic living needs. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

If you look on a map of Cyprus at the area North of Paphos you will see many villages which are quite remote such as Lysos, Fyti, Lasa, Agios Demetrianos, Psathi, Steni, to name just a few. These villages tend to have a small UK expat presence while still being very traditional and most of them will be outside the broadband range so internet is via satellite.

Regards
Veronica
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally you talk of only having the option of Eu countries and Northern Cyprus is not an EU country and as long as it is illegally occupied by Turkey it is unlikely to be allowed to join although it wants to.
Also you talk of maybe eventually buying and that is very risky in the north as many properties there are illegally built on Greek Cypriot owned lands.
If you do choose to move to the North I would recommend sticking with renting.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 11:52 pm
yam
Just Joined

Hi Veronica
I know about all the risks you have mentioned above, but didnt think there were still isolated villages in the south of Cyprus, it is good to know there is, and I will start looking in to that right away.
Thank you very much
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

As cyprus is a major electronic intelligence listening post for the UK I would have thought that the air was alive with electrons ??
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

Steer clear of the Zygi area, as the British and the US Military have massive listening surveillance operations stationed there.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:04 pm
yam
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Feb 6th 2014, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

The good thing about Cyprus is there are lots of mountains. I think you can find many areas in the south that will be perfect.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:03 am
yam
Just Joined

Thank you. We will definitely check it out.
Any place specifically?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Veronica that Steni and Agios Demetrianos are nice rural areas. Panayia or Pano Panayia is an option. Agios Georgios has some homes that are few and far between but it is growing. Also, Episkopi in Paphos. It all depends how remote of an area your husband needs. I would try to stay in the area for a few weeks at least to see if he is sensitive to it. My wife actually complains all the time about the buzzing of appliances, ears ringing, etc. and until recently I just thought she was being overly sensitive or easily bothered but it is truly problematic so I feel for you and hope you find the right location. Let us know what you choose.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:02 am
yam
Just Joined

Thank you for the support.
We are looking for a remote area (primitive), not close to tourism, and not something expensive.
A simple house, with some space for a garden and privacy (not with close neighbors)....