Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any psychologists that have made the move?

Any psychologists that have made the move?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Calio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any psychologists that have made the move?

Hi all

As a long time lurker I'd first like to say thank you; this site has been so helpful in so many ways. Now I've finally plucked up the courage to take the plunge and join in

I was wondering if there are any psychologists, clinical or otherwise, who have made the move from the UK to Canada? I've seen a couple of previous threads from psychs asking questions but haven't been able to find any from people who have managed it.

I'm a psychologist myself and I am looking in to the possibility of getting a job offer (much much easier said that done I know) and going down the LMO, TWP then possibly PNP route.

So, if there are any of you out there I'd love to hear how you managed it / how you got along?

Many thanks
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any psychologists that have made the move?

Originally Posted by Calio
Hi all

As a long time lurker I'd first like to say thank you; this site has been so helpful in so many ways. Now I've finally plucked up the courage to take the plunge and join in

I was wondering if there are any psychologists, clinical or otherwise, who have made the move from the UK to Canada? I've seen a couple of previous threads from psychs asking questions but haven't been able to find any from people who have managed it.

I'm a psychologist myself and I am looking in to the possibility of getting a job offer (much much easier said that done I know) and going down the LMO, TWP then possibly PNP route.

So, if there are any of you out there I'd love to hear how you managed it / how you got along?

Many thanks
I find this quite funny, coming from a psychologist. Don't you know already how people will have managed?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

You would hope so wouldn't you
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

You would hope so wouldn't you
If you are up for it, Petawawa could probably do with tons of psychologists, like right now. I've met some of these guys. Seriously f****d up. The "powder keg" reference is not a joke. Something bad is going to happen at some point.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Many thanks
How do YOU feel they have managed ?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tangram
How do YOU feel they have managed ?
Oh dear...I can see I've opened myself up to a whole host of psychology jokes
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvy
If you are up for it, Petawawa could probably do with tons of psychologists, like right now. I've met some of these guys. Seriously f****d up. The "powder keg" reference is not a joke. Something bad is going to happen at some point.
What's happening in Petawawa?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:45 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I thought people took psychology because they couldn't think of anything else to do at university and didn't want to go out to work for another 4 years?

Is it a real job??
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I thought people took psychology because they couldn't think of anything else to do at university and didn't want to go out to work for another 4 years?

Is it a real job??
Or as my OH claims - I now get paid to sit and have a nice chat with people!!!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:10 pm
Slob

What's happening in Petawawa?
It's possibly the biggest army base in Canada. Thousands of troops. Most have done multiple tours in Afghanistan. Many of them are now seriously screwed-up and they are not getting the support they need because the support just isn't there. People that were once normal are not any more.

The suicide rate is high, although that does not generally make it into the newspapers, and it's only a matter of time before one of them cracks and goes beserk in a shopping mall.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Wh...206/story.html
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:32 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear...I can see I've opened myself up to a whole host of psychology jokes
OK:

How do you tell the difference between the psychologists and the patients at the mental hospital?

- The patients are the ones that eventually get better and leave

- Not everyone of the patients thinks he is God.

Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:38 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

And of course

A psychologist was walking along a Canadian beach when he kicked a bottle poking up through the sand. Opening it, he was astonished to see a cloud of smoke and a genie smiling at him.

"For your kindness," the genie said, "I will grant you one wish!" The psychologist paused, laughed, and replied, "I have always wanted a road from Novia Scotia to Ireland."

The genie grimaced, thought for a few minutes and said, "Listen, I'm sorry, but I can't do that! Think of all the pilings needed to hold up the highway and how long they'd have to be to reach the bottom of the ocean. Think of all the pavement. That's too much to ask."

"OK," the psychologist said, not wanting to be unreasonable. "I'm a psychologist. Make me understand my patients. What makes them laugh and cry, why are they temperamental, why are they so difficult to get along with, what do they really want? Basically, teach me to understand what makes them tick!"

The genie paused, and then sighed, "Did you want two lanes or four?"
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought i'd add a bit of seriousness to this thread.

I don't know anybody who has done this but have you checked any qualification conversions, or even re-qualifications you might need to do?

I'd be very surprised if you can find an LMO for this type of work.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

The jokes...not bad, not bad...

el_richo, thank you for your reply. I have had my qualifications assessed by the relevant body in Canada and they have been determined to be equivalent to Canadian ones. I still need to register a provincial psychology regulatory college / organisation but having been in touch with some I should be ok there.

It's a long process but it seems possible...or at least I'm hoping it is. Which is why I was hoping to hear from someone who's done it already.