Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Trinidad for at least a good while.

Originally Posted by pgtips
You are welcome Dean. Just come back from a month in the Caribbean. The place was as beautiful as ever. however being the rainy season it bucketed down with rain, which was sometimes a good thing to cool the place down as july and August are the hottest months. The rainy season also attracts the most mosquitoes, which can be quite annoying. If you can I would advise sleeping under a net because the sneaky buggers love to eat away at you whilst you sleep Another bit of useful advice would be an airconditioned apatment because the Caribbean seems to have got a tad bit hotter over the years. We have the big ceiling fans all over our house, but I am considering investing in air conditioning for the bedrooms.
Yeah, I know the mosquito bites well out there. I've been there a few times with the last time being in early 2009. I have to always cover my exposed parts in mosquito repellent for around the first two weeks of stay. And yes, the rain is so heavy it's actually quite amazing.

All I'm looking forward to is the food, weather and... ladies!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Spice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pgtips
Jinxi010, this is how you introduce yourself to the forum ? Charming

The original poster has not been given no silly advice, just common sense practical advice. There is nothing wrong with warning someone of the crime situation because then they can take extra precautions so they themselves do not get caught out. He may have family in Trinidad, but moving there and working for the first time can be quite daunting so at least he is doing the right thing and asking for advice.

People are entightled to their opinion as you are, but knocking other peoples advice and coming across as a know it all does not wash down well.

I am quite familiar with Trinidad, so please don't tell me ordinary people are not affected by crime. My wifes uncle was murdered and her cousin was shot in two separate incidents. Miraculously my wifes cousin survived two bullets. My father in law has been held up at gunpoint at his place of business on more than one occassion. This is not scaremongering, just plain facts. Oh and before you try and imply these were gang related, these people are just ordinary hard working folk who fell victim to the crime surge.

I have worked in IT for the last 15 years and have also looked at IT positions in the Caribbean and the opportunities are few and far between and competition fierce.

Now with facts in hand the original poster can take on board what everyone has said including yourself and hopefully make a more informed choice, that will hopefully land him the right job and let him live in relative peace and safety.
pgtips is quite correct about the crime - I have had 2 friends who were murdered and they were definitely not gang related. I have close family that have been shot and held up at gun point. I have been mugged. The crime and corruption in Trinidad is seriously bad. I am a Trinidadian who lived in the UK for 15 years. I went back to Trinidad in 2001 and have left again - I just cannot stand living there watching behind my back all the time. If you want to live comfortably and rent a decent place which will cost about TT$6,000. per month, you will need to make at least TT$15,000. per month at a minimum. Make sure you go with savings and start out living with family. Listen to there advice about using taxis etc. Jobs that pay well are hard to get but with British experience, you have a chance.

The people of Trinidad are not as friendly as they used to be. The traffic is absolutely horrendous.

However, you are a different person to me and if you can handle the crime, corruption, traffic and noise then you could have a really fun life there. The culture is one of party, party, party!

P-o-S would be best for a decent paying job and oilfield companies pay best but the competition is very fierce - there are many, many IT professionals in the country.

Good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spice Islander
pgtips is quite correct about the crime - I have had 2 friends who were murdered and they were definitely not gang related. I have close family that have been shot and held up at gun point. I have been mugged. The crime and corruption in Trinidad is seriously bad. I am a Trinidadian who lived in the UK for 15 years. I went back to Trinidad in 2001 and have left again - I just cannot stand living there watching behind my back all the time. If you want to live comfortably and rent a decent place which will cost about TT$6,000. per month, you will need to make at least TT$15,000. per month at a minimum. Make sure you go with savings and start out living with family. Listen to there advice about using taxis etc. Jobs that pay well are hard to get but with British experience, you have a chance.

The people of Trinidad are not as friendly as they used to be. The traffic is absolutely horrendous.

However, you are a different person to me and if you can handle the crime, corruption, traffic and noise then you could have a really fun life there. The culture is one of party, party, party!

P-o-S would be best for a decent paying job and oilfield companies pay best but the competition is very fierce - there are many, many IT professionals in the country.

Good luck!
Thank you for the tips, SI! I still have lots of family there and the crime issue does rest on my mind a little but we'll see.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice

best advise is just go with the flow, your trini sense will kick in after a week? hopefully.
The gaming market is good because trini play alot, like advised check the local newspaper for updates and follow to suit.

Dont let people to get your hopes up or down! if you keep your eyes on your goals and give it all you have , you will make it nomatter where you live and what you do.
Best of luck and be proud you making change in your life for the better.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukgettingworst
best advise is just go with the flow, your trini sense will kick in after a week? hopefully.
The gaming market is good because trini play alot, like advised check the local newspaper for updates and follow to suit.

Dont let people to get your hopes up or down! if you keep your eyes on your goals and give it all you have , you will make it nomatter where you live and what you do.
Best of luck and be proud you making change in your life for the better.
Thanks! Very sound words.

If Trinidad is where I end up I'm certainly looking forward to it!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:06 am
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice

you keep on the grind and everything will be a ok.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukgettingworst
you keep on the grind and everything will be a ok.
You almost sound like a guardian angel!
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
You almost sound like a guardian angel!
well you just keep your head down and 'try' to resist the temptations, well you being from queens you should have the know how anywhere's.

whats the scene like..................is sandy's still open or hot& spicy?
take care of yourself.