Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

PERMITS FOR TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

PERMITS FOR TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

rosscorxw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PERMITS FOR TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

I am enquiring re moving to T&T with my same sex partner who would have a work visa but I wouldnt.

Can anyone tell me if I went with him how long could i stay in T&T without any visas etc.

cheers
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Emby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PERMITS FOR TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Hi Ross,

You should be careful. I work in T&T and am a straight man, and even my long-term partner (with whom I own property and have lived for years) has had problems getting to stay in the country. The problem is that the immigration people don't really recognise common-law relationships for visa purposes. You have to be married.

If you're gay, I would imagine it's even more problematic. As I understand it, homosexuality is illegal here. Although you will not find the same kind of prejudice that you would in Jamaica, Trinidad is not as liberal as, say, Barbados either in this respect. There are plenty of gay people here, but they keep fairly quiet about it, and go about their relationships in quite a discreet way.

My advice - although I'm not expert - would be to accompany your partner as a friend initially. Just say that you're going to be here on vacation for a couple of months. They'll give you 90 days on arrival, and then you can just keep leaving and coming back, getting 90 days each time. I would guess (and I might be wrong) that if you mention that you're gay to the immigration people, you might meet quite a nasty series of questions. As I say, I may be wrong, so I'd recommend seeking advice first from the Trinidad High Commission in London about your options. Best of luck.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice
Default Re: PERMITS FOR TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Hello like emby said you might have issues , but dont let it stop you because there is alot of same sex relations in the country.

best bet is to contact the high commission 42 belgrave sq, london, sw1x8nt, 02072459351. wish you the best .