Tax!

Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax!

So I paid my first lot of Federal and New York State Tax this week - hopefully as a result NY will fix the roads now.

At what point am I no longer "allowed" to use the NHS in the UK? I'm currently on an L1-A and paying tax in both countries for the time I spend in each.

If I become an LPR how does that affect my right to use services back in the UK?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:43 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax!

NHS accessibility is leveraged on residency. If you are a US "resident" (ie, live here, especially more than 6 month out of the year) then you are no longer eligible for NHS coverage. Taxes being paid in either country have no bearing on this I believe.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
NHS accessibility is leveraged on residency. If you are a US "resident" (ie, live here, especially more than 6 month out of the year) then you are no longer eligible for NHS coverage. Taxes being paid in either country have no bearing on this I believe.
Do you know how they police that? In all the years I've used the NHS at no time has anyone ever asked if I am a resident!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Do you know how they police that? In all the years I've used the NHS at no time has anyone ever asked if I am a resident!
I think anyone can use it for emergencies.

The rules on other stuff seem to be a bit hazy nowadays, I have seen different things about iton BE. I guess if you have an address in the UK it's hard for them to catch you out.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So I paid my first lot of Federal and New York State Tax this week
If you live in the city I hope you paid city taxes too.

- hopefully as a result NY will fix the roads now.
Haha, good one!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:13 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if they actually do, but this is the official stance.

That being said, my Wife and daughter went over there last year for an extended visit. They both ended up seeing a local GP a couple of times (not used to the British climate!) and my daughter had a couple of trips to the hospital after she broke her leg. We had travel insurance, but the GP nor the hospital wanted the details!

No charges, no muss no fuss!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just because most people don't have issue with it, doesn't mean that one won't and there have been quite a few threads where people have been asked to pay.

Also it's a matter of entitlement and as a non-UK resident, you aren't entitled to the NHS except in an emergency.

It is easy to set up residence though if one needed it. Except for a spouse who might need a visa for the UK :/
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
They both ended up seeing a local GP a couple of times (not used to the British climate!)
They treat you for climate issues?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hotscot
They treat you for climate issues?
They probably got a script for a raincoat.