Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Red Eye Flights back to the UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No shït!

Maybe, maybe not, I think it depends on the airport. The signs should make it clear, though quite frankly unless they wanted to be really pïssy with you, you should be OK in the US line.
I recall one time at JFK there was a very obnoxious CBP officer shouting loudly at the people in the USC line "this is for US citizens ONLY!" As I was in the dedicated LPR line with just one person ahead of me I found this amusing as I was getting through faster than the USCs.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
To save me starting a new thread, and to save countless people taking the piss out of me, I'll ask my stupid question here. I'm pooping back to the homeland end of April for 10 days. Wife unfortunately can't make it out. Traveling back, I assume I can use the American line at immigration and just hand over my passport and green card to the helpful and friendly immigration nazi?
Depends on the airport and/or terminal. Some have dedicated LPR lines. Some may tell you to join the regular foreigner line. Some might let you use the USC line. If it's not obvious, there's usually somebody around to ask.

[ETA] Ought to hit refresh before replying!

Last edited by GeoffM; Apr 6th 2014 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Beat me to it
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rpjs;11207103]I recall one time at JFK there was a very obnoxious CBP officer shouting loudly at the people in the USC line "this is for US citizens ONLY!"[QUOTE]
Right, so they can shout at you and humiliate you, but it's not as if they are going to arrest you or deport you.
As I was in the dedicated LPR line with just one person ahead of me I found this amusing as I was getting through faster than the USCs.
I came through CLT once, before I immigrated here, and there were about eight desks open for US citizens and four for non citizens. ..... But there were only about ten non-citizens on the plane! .... And as I walked through to customs, I could hear them directing USCs to the four non-citizen desks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2014 at 6:26 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

No shït!
Stupid bloody iPhone!!!!
So basically read the signs then. Got it. Ta.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The signs at LAX are not the same at the end of the line and the desk. However, it pales beside the customs labyrinthe.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:25 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Do you drink (much) coffee, or lots of tea, or other caffeinated drinks? Caffeine is a remarkably powerful stimulant, and once I realised what it was doing to me, I weened myself off it and I sleep much better. If you can stay off the caffeine for a few days before hand it might help you sleep even without a sleeping pill. I will warn you though, going cold-turkey on caffeine might give you mind-crushing headaches, but you'd know that after 2-3 days of giving up the caffeine.

If I have a regular coffee now I will not sleep at all the first night, and find it difficult to sleep the second night. ..... 3-4 cups of tea, or two 20oz caffeinated sodas also severally disrupt my sleep on the first night.
Don't drink much coffee at all and a couple of cups of tea a day. But sleep disorders and severe insomnia runs in my family. My Nan used to eat sleeping pills like smarties, I remember when I was 14 doing shots of whisky and night nurse with my cousin in the hope of getting to sleep. My Aunt smokes weed, just to sleep. It sucks balls. Maybe that's what I need to do, rip a couple of bongs in the passenger lounge...
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:30 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
To save me starting a new thread, and to save countless people taking the piss out of me, I'll ask my stupid question here. I'm pooping back to the homeland end of April for 10 days. Wife unfortunately can't make it out. Traveling back, I assume I can use the American line at immigration and just hand over my passport and green card to the helpful and friendly immigration nazi?
Yeah you'll probably be fine. But check the immigration line signposts, JFK has a specific line just for green card holders. If you've been through whatever airport you're going out of before, you'll know what they're like in regards to immigration and stuff. The aforementioned JFK are an absolute bloody nightmare and I'd rather headbutt the wall than travel through there. But you're in CA so maybe they're more chill.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Yeah you'll probably be fine. But check the immigration line signposts, JFK has a specific line just for green card holders. If you've been through whatever airport you're going out of before, you'll know what they're like in regards to immigration and stuff. The aforementioned JFK are an absolute bloody nightmare and I'd rather headbutt the wall than travel through there. But you're in CA so maybe they're more chill.
I think it depends on the terminal too. Last year I went through Delta's "new" terminal at JFK (is it T4?) and the immigration queues were ridiculous. The rectangular hall had booths arranged in a U shape along 3 sort of walls with everybody queuing in 4 lines (self-service machines, USC, GC, foreigners) in the middle. But the lines were so long that they were queuing people in the corridors to get to the central area! However, once I got to the GC desk it was pretty smooth and straightforward.

The international terminal at LAX was quick both times I used it in 2012 though. Miserable monster for an immigration officer the first time; reasonable bloke the second time.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:55 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I think it depends on the terminal too. Last year I went through Delta's "new" terminal at JFK (is it T4?) and the immigration queues were ridiculous. The rectangular hall had booths arranged in a U shape along 3 sort of walls with everybody queuing in 4 lines (self-service machines, USC, GC, foreigners) in the middle. But the lines were so long that they were queuing people in the corridors to get to the central area! However, once I got to the GC desk it was pretty smooth and straightforward.

The international terminal at LAX was quick both times I used it in 2012 though. Miserable monster for an immigration officer the first time; reasonable bloke the second time.
Yeah I'm not surprised tbh.
The biggest international travel hub into New York and it's apparently run by stoned teenagers.
I was 2 months pregnant the last time I was there and the wait to go through immigration was over 2 hours. Being stood up for that length of time while preggers was about as much fun as I imagine being kicked in the nuts by your mother is.
I'd pay extra to go through the other, slightly less shitty airport, La Guardia.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah
Trying in vain to find flights back to the UK that aren't red eyes.

I'm departing from the east coast (NY to be exact) I don't want to be overly picky but red eye flights seriously mess me up. I'm a bad sleeper anyway but it's taken me close to the entire time I've spent in the UK to get the right way round again. Spoiled a couple of trips this way, don't want to do it again.

Also traveling with a 2 year old this time (God help me) and don't want to take her on a red eye in case she screams the entire time the rest of the plane is trying to sleep.

Anyone else not particularly partial to red eye flights?

Any tips on which airlines fly to the UK and offer normal flights?
I tend to take the 9am flight out of EWR which gets in at 9.20pm into LHR. I too cannot take redeye flights back to the UK, it messes me up for days. If you can't face United then there's a Virgin flight earlier in the morning which if memory serves gets you in at around 7pm.

Unfortunately I have all my status with United and the thought of having to wait in line, not get on the plane first and no TSA Pre just puts me off switching airline! I do prefer Virgin however both internationally and domestically.