HMO or PPO?

Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMO or PPO?

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Ah ok! Thank you!
Do you have doctors that you like and wish to keep? Or are you okay with changing doctors if they aren't on your new plan?

1) If you are already established with your doctors, and don't wish to change, then I would call each one of them and ask if they accept the Cigna HMO that you are considering signing up for. Don't go by the provider directory exclusively --- they are not always up to date.

2) If you aren't attached to any specific doctors then I would look at the logistics of the HMO provider network. Are the in-network hospitals, labs, etc, reasonably close to your home? Since you are thinking about having a baby, is there an OBGYN convenient to where you (and spouse) live and work. Call them and get a feel for them. Are they taking new patients? Do they have a long wait time for new patients?

Do research on stuff like that and you should be okay.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:27 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you have doctors that you like and wish to keep? Or are you okay with changing doctors if they aren't on your new plan?

1) If you are already established with your doctors, and don't wish to change, then I would call each one of them and ask if they accept the Cigna HMO that you are considering signing up for. Don't go by the provider directory exclusively --- they are not always up to date.

2) If you aren't attached to any specific doctors then I would look at the logistics of the HMO provider network. Are the in-network hospitals, labs, etc, reasonably close to your home? Since you are thinking about having a baby, is there an OBGYN convenient to where you (and spouse) live and work. Call them and get a feel for them. Are they taking new patients? Do they have a long wait time for new patients?

Do research on stuff like that and you should be okay.
I did check the Cigna site, and every doctor we use is said to have coverage. I will get the OH to call around tomorrow to make sure. Thanks again!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, just reread and saw that you were looking into whether the doctors are in network. I would still check out the labs, hospitals, and other facilities.

I think the HMO is the way to go financially but there are things that can come up later that can cause problems or at least inconvenience.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:32 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
I did check the Cigna site, and every doctor we use is said to have coverage. I will get the OH to call around tomorrow to make sure. Thanks again!
Yeah, for peace of mind if nothing else. Anecdotally, I was talking over the weekend with a friend whose mother lives in Florida (not sure exactly where) and they picked an HMO specifically because her oncologist was in-network --- he was listed on the website as in-network. In this case it was Blue Cross. When she called to give the doctor's office the new insurance they were informed that he was no longer on that plan because of some sort of "realignment" within the practice. Anyhoo, they quickly changed plans and everything worked out okay but it was a PITA.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 17th 2014 at 5:35 pm.