Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a house to rent (Arizona)

Finding a house to rent (Arizona)

Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a house to rent (Arizona)

Things are progressing nicely with our move to Arizona, so far

My husband has to be in Phoenix on the 1st July, so he plans to travel late June, whilst I will remain the UK until the end of July to tie up a few loose ends. We also have two cats, so I don't want to fly them over until we have a property on the other side.

We're going for a pre-move visit in the middle of May to look at properties. We would have preferred to do this in early June, but our schedule won't allow it, not ideal, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

We had a conversation yesterday with a guy from the relocation company who we will be assisting us with the house search, he didn't seem to understand why we would want to look at properties in May, when my husband is arriving in late June. Surely this can't be that unusual? I appreciate we may need to pay rent on an empty property until my husband arrives, but that's just that way it goes sometimes, or is it?

We been allocated two days of his time, which they have broken down in to one day of looking at properties (they estimate 6) and one day of negotiation on our chosen property. Is this realistic? I don't think we are particularly fussy and we've got a good idea of what we are looking for (and which areas), which we have passed on to the the relocation company.

This is probably going to be the only time we can look at houses together before the move, so I am really hoping we can find somewhere.

(sorry for the long post )
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a house to rent (Arizona)

It is rather early to be looking at houses hoping to rent one this time around.
Your furniture and other household 'stuff' is going to take 6-8 weeks to arrive from the UK, you and/or your husband will need to have a social security number as a minimum to hook up the electric and gas and that shouldn't be applied for until 10 days after you have arrived, the insurance company may or may not require your social security number for their records too.
You will be able to open a bank account in May and deposit a small amount.
I can understand you want to have somewhere for your cats as soon as you arrive in late July but it may not be doable in mid-May
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar
Things are progressing nicely with our move to Arizona, so far

My husband has to be in Phoenix on the 1st July, so he plans to travel late June, whilst I will remain the UK ......
Is he transferring on a work visa, or does he have a marriage visa?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

I am a USC so I have a SSN. We also plan to open a bank account when we visit in May so that is something else we can hopefully cross off the list.

My husband's company are going to be pursuing the L-1 visa route.

I'm not too worried about the furniture delay as I don't see there is any way for us to avoid having a period in either property without much furniture.

If it is going to be a problem I guess hubby is going to have to choose a house on his own.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... My husband's company are going to be pursuing the L-1 visa route. ....
OK, good. I just wondered because you would have had to accompany him if he was activating a marriage visa.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, good. I just wondered because you would have had to accompany him if he was activating a marriage visa.
Phew, I thought you were going to point out visa technicality which was going to cause a huge issue. As it is, his company seem supremely confident that it won't be an issue, so I sincerely hope that they are right.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's company are going to be pursuing the L-1 visa route.
Have they started the process yet? From memory, ours took about 5 months (multinational with lots of experience and a blanket waiver, using Fragomens, very clear L1-A case, so as simple an application as could be).

If it is going to be a problem I guess hubby is going to have to choose a house on his own.
This is no bother, don't worry - you'll be able to narrow down areas you both like in May, then when it comes to the actual house, hubby can take lots of pics and you can see all around the local area with Streetview. It'll be fine.

About bringing the cats - will this be ok during summer; are they coming over in the cabin with you? I know a lot of the airlines have policies about not flying pets in as cargo at Sky Harbor during summer, as it's simply too hot.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

They are very confident about being able to get the visa quickly. It appears to be a complete non-issue for them. I am not so confident, but really, I am not worried if it takes a little longer as I would have preferred to go later anyway - but that's another story.

Thankfully I am pretty familiar with Phoenix, not so much the south east, but I think knowing a little will help. As you say, we'll be able to have a look around too and get a feel for things.

I am concerned about the cats; however, I have been assured (more than once) that BA have an air conditioned van to take the cats from the plane. My uncle was a baggage handler at Sky Harbor, so I have heard plenty about how hot it is out on the tarmac. It is a big worry for me.

To some extent I think I am just used to having at least some control over things, but this move is being pushed by my husband's company and we're not getting much say in some of the important decisions. Perhaps I am worrying to much - hopefully it'll all work out with some compromise.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to butt in on your post, but I'm moving to Chandler in less than 2 years now (I know that's a long time but I am getting everything prepped good and early), but how much is it to take your cats over? Also are you using a special company or just through BA? I have a border collie that I will be taking with me. I'm in Northamptonshire

Just to add, I don't see how you are doing things too early either!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
sorry to butt in on your post, but I'm moving to Chandler in less than 2 years now (I know that's a long time but I am getting everything prepped good and early), but how much is it to take your cats over? Also are you using a special company or just through BA? I have a border collie that I will be taking with me. I'm in Northamptonshire

Just to add, I don't see how you are doing things too early either!
Hello!

We will probably be using PetAirUk. We haven't booked it yet as we still don't have an exact travel date, but the communication has always been quick and professional. I like that they use BA and seem confident that travelling in the summer will be okay (even if I will worry a lot!). The quote we got was a little over £1200 for their gold service for both cats.

One thing I have learnt through this process is not to get too stuck on doing something a certain way - lots of compromise. Still, we're off to Phoenix in a week and a half for a week - if we find a house, all the better, if not, I'm just going to have wait and see what hubby can find in July.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's who I have been looking at using and thought it might cost me around the £1000 mark. I understand why you will but I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

I hope you have a nice time over there and find what you're looking for! All the best.

Andrew
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

We been allocated two days of his time, which they have broken down in to one day of looking at properties (they estimate 6) and one day of negotiation on our chosen property. Is this realistic? I don't think we are particularly fussy and we've got a good idea of what we are looking for (and which areas), which we have passed on to the the relocation company.
This is probably going to be the only time we can look at houses together before the move, so I am really hoping we can find somewhere.
(sorry for the long post )
I did something very similar to this albeit in California in December. I spent about 1.5 days looking at rental places with a friendly (British) realtor. As I went round each good place I did a quick video on my phone and uploaded it to Dropbox for my wife to see it. She could then give me feedback via Skype (and it made her feel more involved).

By the end of the session I had 4 offers out on rentals and flew back not knowing the outcome. After a couple of days we had responses. Only one accepted as we had two cats. It was then a bit of a faff to sort out the paperwork from the UK but it was OK in the end. For deposit I did a direct bank to bank transfer from the Bank of America account I had setup on a previous visit. We are in the house now. So it can be done in two days.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
I did something very similar to this albeit in California in December. I spent about 1.5 days looking at rental places with a friendly (British) realtor. As I went round each good place I did a quick video on my phone and uploaded it to Dropbox for my wife to see it. She could then give me feedback via Skype (and it made her feel more involved).

By the end of the session I had 4 offers out on rentals and flew back not knowing the outcome. After a couple of days we had responses. Only one accepted as we had two cats. It was then a bit of a faff to sort out the paperwork from the UK but it was OK in the end. For deposit I did a direct bank to bank transfer from the Bank of America account I had setup on a previous visit. We are in the house now. So it can be done in two days.
Thank you, that's good to know