Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

State pension & ExPats

State pension & ExPats

Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

choulouboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State pension & ExPats

I was recently told that ExPats living in certain countries throughout the world have their state pension frozen at the rate it was when going to live abroad and therefore not rise annually in line with the new so called 'triple lock' increase arrangements.
I have read this article and found it very informative as well as being reassuring to ExPats living in Cyprus.

Here's the link:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/p...-overseas.html
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: State pension & ExPats

Expats in Cyprus do not have their pensions frozen, as in other countries.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

see here

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

UK Expats living in the EU get the same rises as UK pensioners, those living in Canada don't, those in the USA do. It's a bit hit and miss, but depends on whether the countries involved have a reciprocal agreement.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

I posted this article to demonstrate the fact that ExPats living in Cyprus do in fact get State pensions increases as the article clearly says. It was for the reassurance of those that possibly did not know.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Canyon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm really surprised that this question has arisen as Cyprus has for many years (long before Cyprus entry into the EU) given UK ex-pats the same annual increments as those in the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. That's an advantage that Cyprus has over other countries that I was not aware of.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleo-Shahateet
Thanks for the info. That's an advantage that Cyprus has over other countries that I was not aware of.
Should be over SOME other countries, Cyprus is in the EU, so all EU citizens get their pension increments as if they were living in their own countries, it's only when you move outside the EU that you have to worry.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

mikehump3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many in the Forum live in the North. As the area is only recognised by Turkey, are pensions frozen at the time of emmigration from EU counties to the Turkish Administered Area of Cyprus?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Mint1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

My bank and uk phone company say North Cyprus is treated differently than Southern Cyprus so will the state pension be affected as well.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mint1955
My bank and uk phone company say North Cyprus is treated differently than Southern Cyprus so will the state pension be affected as well.
The North is illegally occupied and not recognised by the international community. Therefore treaties such as those between the South and the Uk will not exist. You need to check with the UK pensions department to find out whether or not there is any sort of agreement.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

The crux of the subject that I originally posted was to outline the fact that those retired and living within the EU (including of course the Greek Cypriot area of Cyprus) will benefit from any annual increase in the rate of UK state pension.