Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Information please.

Information please.

Old Oct 17th 2013, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

alberthall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information please.

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Cyprus in the next year or two, initially we would be renting, therefore can anybody tell us what other costs will be involved -for Utilities etc? And what is, or is not included in the rent, generally speaking?
Also, any other costs we may not have considered- such as health care and insurance.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Information please.

These are very catch all questions, and i am sure, you will receive many replies, although more information may be required.

My question is, have you visited before, and if so, for how long?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zygiman
These are very catch all questions, and i am sure, you will receive many replies, although more information may be required.

My question is, have you visited before, and if so, for how long?

Yes we have, four visits and loved every minute, only for the standard 2 weeks in the sun each time!! We will be retiring in the next couple of years and so we're looking for help and advice from 'Ex Pats.'
We intend having extended stays in different areas so as to get the feel of the places.
Many thanks for replying.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Albert,

It is very wise to try out different areas before deciding where to settle as what suits one does not suit everyone.
What is included in rents can vary according contracts. Sometimes local comunity charges are included, other times it is up to the tenant to pay so it wise to make sure you know exactly what is included in your rent.
If you rent a villa with pool and gardens you may be responsible for their maintenance but it may be included in your rent. Of course if you are responsible the rent will be lower.

As for healthcare, unless either you or your wife are in receipt of government retirement pensions you will need to have health insurance.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Hi Albert,

It is very wise to try out different areas before deciding where to settle as what suits one does not suit everyone.
What is included in rents can vary according contracts. Sometimes local comunity charges are included, other times it is up to the tenant to pay so it wise to make sure you know exactly what is included in your rent.
If you rent a villa with pool and gardens you may be responsible for their maintenance but it may be included in your rent. Of course if you are responsible the rent will be lower.

As for healthcare, unless either you or your wife are in receipt of government retirement pensions you will need to have health insurance.
Thank you very much Veronica, that's really helpful!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

With many people leaving Cyprus, many are selling their articles, as they do not wish to ship them back. I do not know if you are thinking of shipping a car over, but there are many cars for sale here. Many 4 wheel drives too, and they are really handy to get around in rugged terrain. Suggest, before you ship a car over, see what you can find here first. Then compare.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zygiman
With many people leaving Cyprus, many are selling their articles, as they do not wish to ship them back. I do not know if you are thinking of shipping a car over, but there are many cars for sale here. Many 4 wheel drives too, and they are really handy to get around in rugged terrain. Suggest, before you ship a car over, see what you can find here first. Then compare.

Good advice, many thanks. We're looking to around next October for our move so any info like this is appreciated!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Canyon is an unknown quantity at this point

Electricity is not cheap especially running air con in summer, heating in winter and the pool filtration system if you have a pool.
LPG gas is also expensive if you have central heating (very much needed up in the hills)