Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Q's? Moving with British spouse back to USA?

Q's? Moving with British spouse back to USA?

Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q's? Moving with British spouse back to USA?

I contacted them, and they were very nice, and they told me that from INSIDE the country, after getting citizenship and applying for my first passport, I must send in my passport from my original country of origin, because it will have my settlement visa stamp in it.

Thank you!!!

It was well worth a try!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
I contacted them, and they were very nice, and they told me that from INSIDE the country, after getting citizenship and applying for my first passport, I must send in my passport from my original country of origin, because it will have my settlement visa stamp in it.

Thank you!!!

It was well worth a try!
I very much doubt that "they" have any involvement in the actual processing of passport applications, and it is possible that "they" are actually employees of a private company rather than the Passport Service. The comment about the settlement visa is interesting, because it's irrelevant - once you become a British citizen your settlement visa is null and void. They need to see your naturalisation certificate, which of course would be provided.

So it's not clear what value you add compared to simply looking at the website, and seeking experiences of others, etc.

In any case - really, is it a valid reason to decide not to become a British citizen?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're applying for your first British passport from within the UK then you will need to send in your foreign passport. There's no get out clause like there is when applying from abroad. It's to do with fraud prevention rather immigration reasons. You'll also probably have to attend an interview as well.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

I know.
If you are applying from inside the UK, and it is a first time passport from someone who has just gained citizenship, you MUST send them the passport of your country of origin.
It clearly states it online.
I also phoned the passport office, twice, and they were very, very nice, and told me there is NO WAY to apply without sending in my American passport. They made it very clear.

I guess it is just hard for people to believe... But they take my passport all of the time in the UK. I think the different government agencies have had my American passport for more time than I've had it in the three years I've been here! They take it for many months at a time, and do not tell you have long they will be keeping it.

It is just 'part of life' and one of the MANY inconveniences here for a non-national non-EU resident!

Thank you BritInParis!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it is just hard for people to believe... But they take my passport all of the time in the UK. I think the different government agencies have had my American passport for more time than I've had it in the three years I've been here! They take it for many months at a time, and do not tell you have long they will be keeping it.

It is just 'part of life' and one of the MANY inconveniences here for a non-national non-EU resident!
Except that if you choose to apply for British citizenship, and become a naturalised British citizen, you won't be a "non-national, non-EU resident."

Anyway, if you choose not to apply for British citizenship solely for this reason, it would be a poor decision. Applying for a first passport from within the U.K. is normally more straightforward than doing so from overseas and you can choose to have your supporting documents returned to you in a secure manner.

Alternatively, if you were about to leave the U.K. when you become a British citizen, you could decide to wait until you were overseas to apply for a British passport. You would not have to send your American passport if applying from outside the U.K.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 24th 2014 at 10:16 am.
Old May 3rd 2014, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Thank you.

I'm not too bothered about becoming a British citizen.

My husband wants me to do it 'just in case' so I probably will, but it is really just to make him feel safer... For whatever reason, he keeps telling me 'it is safer to get it, just in case'. So, I will probably just do it, for him.

(Safer for whom? It is safer for ME if I don't get it, because NOT having it could be a huge obstacle to us ever moving back, and I'm NOT moving back!)
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm NOT moving back!
Many people have said this and did, in fact, return. Indeed, there is an entire BE forum for such people. As Yoda noted, "Impossible to see the future is".

Ian
Old May 5th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi WriterChick...

Hopefully my earlier thread here helps, where I documented the entire process my wife and I went through. The situation seems very similar to yours although, I secured my Greed Card with conditions on it since we hadn't been married for two full years at the time of entry.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790299

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Rich.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much Rich!!!