Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

Originally Posted by anxiouslywaiting
Yes its all booked - due to fly May 17th! I booked it last year and then had my embassy appointment in December and here I am still waiting to hear! I can't get a refund on the holiday, I can change the dates though - its difficult my mother has started treatment for cancer - she is only on tablets at the moment but when my husband and I get back from Florida with our son she will be going into hospital to start 4-6 weeks intensive chemo so we wouldn't be able to go until much later in the year when I know she is going to be ok. Also, to make life difficult I am a teaching assistant in a primary school so can only take holidays during school holidays which bumps the price right up and then there is of course the subject of a very excited 7yr old desperate to go to Disney. Of course I will find a way to rebook if I need to - I can leave it until the last minute to change the dates if I need to so like you say - if it comes down to the wire I will just have to hang on.

It is all my fault I accept that, I foolishly assumed because I had had my visa approved before 2 years ago when I went to New York I didn't think I'd have any issues this time around, I wasn't aware they were reviewing the caution guidelines until I actually got to my interview back in December. Everything crossed it gets approved - if only I could go back 9yrs and have a word with my younger self about experimenting with controlled substances and getting caught for it, I never thought a bit of dabbling back then could come back and bite me like this.

Thank you - Everything crossed I hear something soon.
Good luck to you. Fingers crossed you receive your new visa allowing you to travel. Unfortunately, mistakes do have a habit of catching up with us; the good news is, we all make them so you're not in bad company
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think I'd have any issues this time around, I wasn't aware they were reviewing the caution guidelines until I actually got to my interview back in December.
Sadly, a lot of people got caught out by this new review process... where it would not otherwise have been an issue.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

n1cholas90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stumbled across this article today relating to this topic if anybody is interested:

http://www.us-visa.co.uk/cautionary-tale
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n1cholas90
Stumbled across this article today relating to this topic if anybody is interested:

http://www.us-visa.co.uk/cautionary-tale
The firm where I am "of counsel" had a client have his "merits" removal hearing today. He already had a green card, however he had a felony conviction for grand theft pursuant to a plea bargain -- the factual predicate was a loss to the victim of $10 -- yes, ten dollars. It was the type of plea where "I didn't do it, but I will plea in exchange for avoid the stiff sentence."

So he needed a waiver. Part of the hardship to the parents that one son had already been deported for drug sales.

The Immigration Judge was quite interested in the applicant's drug use. He had been using medical marijuana legally pursuant to California law. The judge and the government attorney were impressed with the honesty. The judge asked 'did you know it was still a violation of Federal law?" "No, but I know now?" "Do you promise to stop using medical marijuana and obtain prescription for something else or obtain physical therapy for your back pain?" "Yes, I guess I have to." It had been decided by the IJ that the law was "fuzzy" and would suffice to avoid an "admission."

Waiver granted and government waived appeal.

I was worried about that one.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Apr 18th 2014 at 3:19 am.
Old May 2nd 2014, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

anxiouslywaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... I am due to fly to Florida in 15 days - today I received the email requesting that I send my passport for visa issuance!! I will update you when I receive it, but I have been waiting since December 16th for some news and today I finally got it I am so happy and I can finally let my 7 year old get excited about going to Disney, and he is beyond excited! thank you everyone for your help and advice, turns out patience really is a virtue
Old May 2nd 2014, 8:50 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi... I am due to fly to Florida in 15 days - today I received the email requesting that I send my passport for visa issuance!! I will update you when I receive it, but I have been waiting since December 16th for some news and today I finally got it I am so happy and I can finally let my 7 year old get excited about going to Disney, and he is beyond excited! thank you everyone for your help and advice, turns out patience really is a virtue
Without being a cynic, the only time you can start your child getting excited about going is when you have your passport with your visa in it back in your hand.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:13 am
Just Joined

anxiouslywaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

I collected my passport yesterday - afterall that, today is exactly 5 months to the day I went for my interview and my visa was inside.... furthermore it is a B1/B2 visa that has been issued - valid for 10 YEARS!! I really wasn't expecting that and tomorrow is the day we fly to Florida on our first family holiday to Disney World. Just thought I would update you all - thanks for all the good advice etc on here.
Old May 16th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

I collected my passport yesterday - afterall that, today is exactly 5 months to the day I went for my interview and my visa was inside.... furthermore it is a B1/B2 visa that has been issued - valid for 10 YEARS!! I really wasn't expecting that and tomorrow is the day we fly to Florida on our first family holiday to Disney World. Just thought I would update you all - thanks for all the good advice etc on here.
Awesome news! So glad it worked out for you, and especially just in the nick of time!

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Update to the article i linked to previously, with more thorough guidance from officials from the visa office regarding this review.

Essentially, it seems Cautions received after July 2008 may now equate to an admission of guilt, depending on the facts of the individual case.

A very interesting read.

Cautionary Tales - US Immigration Lawyer