Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British Passports when in Australia

British Passports when in Australia

Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I was informed that my application was not being dealt with in the UK & I tracked it as being delivered to Canberra.
So I'm assuming it's at the British consulate & I'll have to spend $3.52 per minute to discuss my application with them on their premium rate number. So premium added to passport application then a premium rate to speak to anyone about it.
To add insult to injury I need it for 2 months, then I'll not be using it much as will get a nice new shiny Aussie passport as will be up for Citizenship then
Maybe they have just moved them back to Canberra then; certainly when Aus Post started dealing with the applications they were all going to NZ, that was about 3 years ago, as I did mine then and it came from NZ.
Then they said a few months back that everything would be processed in the UK in future - that was when all the website was redesigned, about 6 months back I think.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I was informed that my application was not being dealt with in the UK & I tracked it as being delivered to Canberra.
How did you track it to Canberra?

Australia Post forward the applications. It may be a similar approach to applying for a UK visa in Australia - applications are sent to Sydney, then forwarded to Manila. With passports they may go to Canberra and then forwarded to the UK for issuing (and probably processing now too).
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
that was when all the website was redesigned, about 6 months back I think.
The gov.uk website is one of the most annoying government websites. The Tories announced they would reduce the number of websites, and they seem to be aiming for one website for everything. It's difficult to get information, it's poorly designed, when things are updated it seems to take longer for this website to be updated to reflect the changes, and it's just ridiculous that different departments can't have their own website with a design that better reflects what is required of it. The gov.uk website should really be a portal rather than a one size fits all approach.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:16 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
How did you track it to Canberra?

Australia Post forward the applications. It may be a similar approach to applying for a UK visa in Australia - applications are sent to Sydney, then forwarded to Manila. With passports they may go to Canberra and then forwarded to the UK for issuing (and probably processing now too).
Thats what I thought, I was sure the passports were now actually issued from the UK, not from Canberra.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

As I stated above, we got ours in 13 days.
Definitely shipped from the UK, although initially I think Auspost sends them to Canberra. - arrived via DHL in an envelope with London Heathrow - Darwin flight sticker on it.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by oldandbold
As I stated above, we got ours in 13 days.
Definitely shipped from the UK, although initially I think Auspost sends them to Canberra. - arrived via DHL in an envelope with London Heathrow - Darwin flight sticker on it.
Thats pretty good service really
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Applications for Australian residents are processed at the High Commission in Wellington but the passports themselves are printed in the UK and then couriered to the customer's postal address in Australia. The FCO is in the final stages of winding down its role in passport processing and by April next year all applicants worldwide will need to send their applications directly to the UK for processing. AFAIK HMPO is maintaining the Auspost application option however.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:49 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Applications for Australian residents are processed at the High Commission in Wellington but the passports themselves are printed in the UK and then couriered to the customer's postal address in Australia. The FCO is in the final stages of winding down its role in passport processing and by April next year all applicants worldwide will need to send their applications directly to the UK for processing. AFAIK HMPO is maintaining the Auspost application option however.
Thanks for the clarification
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks for the clarification
No worries. HMG tend to try and make things as clear as mud if they can help it.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No worries. HMG tend to try and make things as clear as mud if they can help it.
Taking lessons from the Aussies
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:28 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

We renewed ours this year. albeit we are in NZ, but we actually had our news passports from the UK in less than 7 days. Service was outstanding and so much better than we expected - that was in January.

Fingers crossed
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine took 2 weeks when I renewed last year. Application was sent by Aus. Post to British High Commission in Wellington, NZ for processing and then the new passport was sent from a secure printing facility in the UK.

The cancelled passport and new passport arrived within a day of each other. A quick (but expensive) process!
Current fees for renewal of a burgundy British passport from AU are:

AUD 282.21 for an adult 32 page passport
AUD 325.81 for an adult 48 page passport
AUD 205.81 for a child passport

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Sep 26th 2013 at 6:14 am.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Robbie_Paula is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone confirm whether expired passports (2 years +) are still classed as renewal?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:55 am
Home and Happy

Default Re: British Passports when in Australia

Threads merged
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Robbie_Paula
Can anyone confirm whether expired passports (2 years +) are still classed as renewal?
Generally speaking, providing a passport expired less than ten years, it would be counted as a renewal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.